Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navlem

Peace lily looking bad

Vance Evans
11 years ago

I just repotted both PL on Sunday. The one on the left I'm not worried about, It looks really great. I've had it for less time. The PL on the right looks terrible. I've had it longer and it did have some rotted roots when I repotted. I cut them off and then did the 5.1.1 mix. It was looking very nice after I repotted and just overnight it started looking like this. I tested the soil and it felt moist. Is it in shock?

They're in the tub because I went ahead and gave them water just to see if it was lack of water. Will post if it perks up.

Comments (16)

• Vance Evans
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it was getting crown rot because the soil was above the crown area. I took some off the top and also cut some of the leaves because there was not much of a root system after I root pruned. Here is a recent picture. This is the window it normally is in front of. It is a shaded western window. We have a bunch of trees on that side of the house.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Vance. One way to tell if your PL needs water is by lifting the pot.

After you water, test pots weight. Depending on light and temperature. Only you can determine whether or not your plant needs a drink.

If the pot is light weight, it probably needs watering. If heavy, then wait a few days and retest.

Another way to test is by sticking a skewer/thin stick deep in soil. If the skewer comes out wet, the bottom layer of medium is still moist.

Your PL may need time to adapt. It's probably in shock from trimming/repotting and mixing with a different medium.

The PL on the left is beautiful..very healthy and perky. Some plants are finicky. You've trimmed and repotted both plants, yet the left PL adapted well. Give it time.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

I have to say the PL already looks alittle better. Only time will tell if what you did for it will give it a bill of good health. I bought a PL in the past on clearance that looked pretty dead and today I hardly recognize it, it looks so good. The hardest thing for me to do was to leave it alone while it was recovering.

Planto

• Vance Evans
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks really good now!

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Vance,
    I think your PL is on its way to recovering, it'll be a monster in no time! ;)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

I've never know any plant to bounce back quite like those. i just love them for that. :)

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Is that a small Spath variety? I have a small variety and I just am amazed at how fast it grows. I like how it stays bush-like and does not get too tall but keeps growing more and more out and new side plants. I see a lot of Spath and 90% of them have brown tips, mine being one! :( It can be tap water, hmidity, fertilizer, ect. Most of the time it is due to humidity and tempreture. Which I am sure is the case with mine. Even though it is maybe only 1/16" of the tip, I still would like to be able to grow it with no brown tip. All of the new growth has no brown tips, but I feel the older leaves get it easier.

• Vance Evans
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah It's a small one. I've had to cut it back a little more because a couple of the leaves just fell over. It looks better. I'm hoping it will continue to improve and fill back out. It was much thicker when I got it.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Cheering for your plant, Vance!

Are you in Atlanta? (Just guessing from the lamp.) And don't'cha just LOVE those sand coasters? We have them all over the place, wherever someone might put a drink.

• Vance Evans
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No I live in Darlington, SC. I'm just a Braves fan. Anyways my other peace lily is looking terrible now. I just watered it yesterday and it fell down like this. I did notice it looked like it was starting to wilt before I watered though. Do I need to cut these leaves?

• Vance Evans
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a picture to look at the crown.

11 years ago

I would give it a while to see if they stand back up, and even then I might wait until they turn yellow before removing the droopers. Even if they're not ideal, they are helping the plant grow. Give it time to adjust to the repot, it will discard leaves as it sees fit. The thing now is to find a great spot it (they) really like, as much light as possible without sunburning.

I love baseball but don't follow it too closely, just like watching a game once in a while. If you're a Braves fan, you've probably heard of Kent Mercker. I went to HS with him. In any case, cute lamp!!

• Vance Evans
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah baseball is awesome. Some of the leaves are getting black spots on them. Even the stems. Here's a picture from today. It looks worse

• Vance Evans
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another picture.

11 years ago

That doesn't look good. Is the soil soggy wet? Looks it but hard to know from a pic.

• Vance Evans
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was soggy. I I took it out and potted again. I'm praying that it works.