Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riversong123

Tree ID

riversong123
9 years ago

This came out of a house I was working at. Considering rescuing it. Anyone know what it is?

Comments (9)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Closer view needed.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Ficus alii.

• riversong123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think you're right. I can post a better pic tonight for confirmation. Any advice on helping the poor thing out? I chopped off all the completely dead branches before this picture. It was much fuller some time in its past. Does the pot look too large?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

IMO it looks great!

Hoist it out of the pot and see if the roots are spiraling round and round the outside of the mix. If so a re-potting will be in order next year when it warms up.

Next spring after all chance of frost is gone put it outside in full shade and then gradually move it bit by bit every few days into more and more light 'till it's in full sun.

It will leaf out like gangbusters. :)

Saving this plant was a good move on your part. I salute your efforts. :)

• riversong123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will take a look at it's roots tonight. It looked terrible sitting outside in the cold. I took pity on it while on a break and started trimming back all of the dead branches and it started to call to me once it had a facelift. The owners were planning on leaving it outside to die. I'm glad to hear it looks alright. I've obviously never had one before. Should I be worried about suddenly moving it inside?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Nope.

It will be much warmer there which it needs(it's a tropical tree). The worst I would expect to see is a little leaf loss,if that. Put it in the brightest window you have available and water only when it really needs it. Test the mix with a bamboo skewer or a chopstick. If it comes out wet,don't water it yet. Nearer to almost dry...water then.

• riversong123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's bone dry and has been for some time I think. Should i soak it in the tub? Should I fertilize or wait until spring?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I would suggest waiting for the spring,yes...It will be in "go" mode then and will appreciate it then.

If you have a bucket around that's big enough,you might consider placing it in there and filling 'til the water line is equal with the soil line and let it soak for an hour or two. After this,make sure it drains completely...and just to be sure,place the pot on top of some old newspapers or paper towels to try to wick out any standing water in the soil. Then return it to the window. Periodically check with the skewer and make sure it's pretty dry(ish) before watering again. If you have a means to collect rain water,that would be best to use. Tap water is evil stuff,but if that's all you have at your disposal at the moment use that in the meantime. Reverse osmosis water,like what is collected in a dehumidifier,would be the next best thing to rain...but again...right now we will make due with what we have at the ready...the tree is thirsty.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Take OFF the tight green tapes strangling the trunk. It should be able to stand upright without that stake. That alone can cause severe problems for a woody plant.

I'm using the word 'strangling' fairly accurately, by the way. The part of the vascular system (phloem) that transports photosynthates from the leaves to the rest of the plant body is located just under the bark.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company