Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I get an ID and my scheff

Posted by deep___roots ca9/sunset15 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 11:02

Can you tell what it is and the conditions it likes?
Got it at an estate sale. Visited some nurseries around here but didn't see a similar plant.
Is it a croton? It has waxy leaves and bright colors.
 photo 004_zpsd030d7ef.jpg
 photo 005_zpsb598bda3.jpg
 photo 006_zpsef8088c3.jpg
I also have this scheff that is growing on a piece of lava or whatever the reddish rock is. It was in my house. A couple of months ago it looked poorly so I took it outside and put it under a shade tree in a bucket of water. The bucket had enough water to cover the rock. Now look at it. Wow. That did the trick. Now I think I will put it back in the house and just keep some water in that saucer all the time.
Just wondering if anyone else grows their plant in a similar way. Thank you for any answers to my questions.
 photo 007_zps76e27ec5.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I get an ID and my scheff

First 3 pics is definitely a croton, maybe croton Petra. They like lots of sun and kept just moist. They do best in direct sun but you can get away with filtered light although the leaves won't be as spectacularly coloured. It looks like at its old home it was light deprived that's why it's so leggy.

The fourth pic I can't really help you out with. It looks like it was a bonsai at some point. If anyone is into bonsais they will be able to give you more info.

o

It is a croton. I would cut it back halfway and make cuttings of what you cut off. Your schefflera would do alot better if you planted it in a pot with soil.

o

I'm curious about the 2nd one, maybe it's Schefflera brevipedunculata or Pachira. Doesn't look like the 'regular' 2 kinds of Scheff people usually have. The way it's in/on that rock reminds me of this plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here