Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fern

Posted by woody64 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 11:05

I have this fern that has been growing really good for the last four yrs up till a week ago.Its starting to wilt ,leaves are dying and drying up.Can anyone identify it and possible problems that might cause it to wilt.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fern

That's palm tree, possibly Chamaedorea elegans, from how there's more than one in the pot. Have you changed the soil in 4 years? Has anything else changed - plant location, temp in house?

If the soil is moist and the leaves are wilting, the roots are dying and unable to supply moisture to the leaves.

o

Looks like a Parlor palm.

o

That makes us a pair, Tommy ;) Chamaedorea elegans = parlor palm.

o

haven't change soil in a while ,maybe I should?

o

Generally yes, repotting every year or two is good, but it's a hard time for plants to recover from that, not the time they would usually grow quickly. I usually repot PP in May or June, after the flowers are finished, and plants can be in the warm humid air to recover.

The oldest leaves can't stay on the plant, no matter how healthy it is. Discarding those as new ones grow is just part of the process of creating a trunk. As each leaf ages, it will droop gradually. Do you see a new leaf in formation yet? It looks like there are 2 live trunks there. The fact that it looks like 2 others have died is somewhat concerning.

While mine plants are outside for summer, I try to keep parlor palm from drying too much, but let them get much more dry while inside for winter. If you're keeping the soil really moist, that may be too much in the cooler, shorter days of winter.

PP doesn't seem to be sensitive to tap water chemicals, but if your tap has lime in it, leaves can become yellow if the soil isn't flushed occasionally (from altered PH.) When it dries out, I would put it in the tub/shower and pour room-temp water gently on the soil surface until it runs through well, and until it is clear, if the water coming out of the drain holes is yellow brown at first. When it's warm outside, PP LOVES to be rained on, in the shade.

Is that the same spot where your tree has been for a long time?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here