Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Some winter blooms : thumbnail pic heavy

karyn1
11 years ago

I don't keep many plants inside over the winter. Most are in the greenhouse so they're technically not "house plants" but many of you do grow these inside. It's always nice to see some color when everything outside is turning brown. I hate the cold! Here's some of what's in bloom now.

{{gwi:111422}}

{{gwi:111423}}

{{gwi:111424}}

{{gwi:111425}}

{{gwi:111426}}

{{gwi:111427}}

{{gwi:111428}}

{{gwi:111429}}

{{gwi:111431}}

{{gwi:111432}}

{{gwi:111433}}

{{gwi:111434}}

{{gwi:111435}}

{{gwi:111436}}

{{gwi:111437}}

Comments (4)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

How lovely they all are. Very cheering to the spirit with four weeks to go to the winter solstice.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karyn...lovely.

Is your gh kept cool or warm?

Do you like Stapelia scent? :)

I've seen pics of J. GDT, but never realized how pretty they are. Is the flower double?

What color is, '1st orchid pic,' Phael color? I can't identify it.

How large is Cape Honeysuckle? I recently purchased one.

Goldfish looks different than average Nems.

Karyn, your flowering plants are doing fantastic. Toni

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Toni. I hope you had a nice holiday. This GH is kept at a minimum of about 55 at night. I do heat it but as long as it's sunny the heater only goes on at night. W/O the heater running it was above 90 in there today. My big GH's at the farm are kept much cooler. I keep them just above freezing at night. Daytime temps usually don't get much above 70. My grow room is probably the warmest and doesn't get much below 65 but is also rarely above 75 during the day.

Grand Duke is my favorite jasmine. I think it's one of the prettiest and the most fragrant. The flower is more then a double. It's kind of like a carnation or a rose bloom. That S. gigantea stinks to high heaven. The cooler temps keep the scent down but when it's in bloom during the heat of the summer it makes me gag. It had something like 10 blooms open at the same time last summer. I couldn't even step into the GH. lol My smaller flowered varities don't have much of a scent, thank goodness, especially because I have quite a few of them in the house. I have no idea what the name of that phael is but the color is odd, sort of a mix of orange, tan and mauve. I've had that Cape Honeysuckle for 4 or 5 years. I cut it back in the spring and keep it at about 4' tall but it's very bushy and takes up a lot of space. I wish it bloomed earlier in the year so I could cut it back in the fall but like the Solandra maxima it blooms on new growth. If I cut it back in the fall I wouldn't get any blooms. That goldfish's foliage has burgundy splotches. I have no idea what the variety is called. I picked it up at Pepper's several years ago. I stop by Pepper's on my way home from the beach every summer. They have an amazing selection of plants but things are notoriously mislabeled. For the prices they charge it doesn't matter to me. They probably have twice as much inventory on site then they list online and prices are even cheaper.

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

oh Karyn i LUV that Paph orchid !!!
    its soo strikingly-subtle.

Gorgeous blooms, tnx 4 sharing :)