Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krisenr

Houseplants for West facing Window?

Krisenr
12 years ago

Hey All,

What kind of plants would be ideal for a south facing window? I want a plant that would thrive there, not just survive. Thanks!

Oh and this window is in the bathroom and is frosted. No direct sunlight comes in due the configuration on the buildings.

-Kris

Comments (14)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Kris, west or south window? Subject of Posting is asking about west-facing, body says south. lol.

Frosted...Frosted reduces high-light plants that would do well in either direction.

However, need more info.

Where are you located? You don't have to be specific.

Is the window obstructed by curtains/blinds, trees, buildings?

How frosted is glass..Light or thick?? Lightly frosted blocks about 30%. At least that's what I was told by a man who installs windows. lol. Toni

• Krisenr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Toni,

Hahah my brain is FRIED! Too much going on at work.

It's a west facing window and I'd say they are lightly frosted. I'm in Brooklyn, NY right by the Verazzano Bridge. The window is facing the other wing of the building, there's about 15ft btwn the two wings.

The plants would be sitting on the windowsill right up against the window.

Hope that helps! Thanks Toni!

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Kris:

"Right up against the window" might not work very well if the inside glass becomes really cold.

Here's my solution. The windows face South but the second one is shaded by the front porch. Facing North, you could add lights under the shelves for extra light. Hope these show up. Been a long time since I posted photos.

Linda

[URL=http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1222613531061888819fedLlk][IMG]http://thumb19.webshots.net/t/14/14/1/35/31/222613531fedLlk_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1222613518061888819oHtwQW][IMG]http://thumb19.webshots.net/t/14/14/1/35/18/222613518oHtwQW_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

BTW, do to a lack of care during a bad patch, these guys were either given away or died. However, now the windows are home to "never stop blooming" streptocarpus.

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Retrying. :-D

{{gwi:111485}}

{{gwi:111486}}

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Kris..Between frosted paned and second wing, think of it as growing in an east or very bright north.

Since it's a bathroom would you say there's low, medium or high humidity?

We can narrow it down some.
    Cactus an succulents are out.

Are you seeking foliage or flowering plants?

Linda's idea about artificial light would help big time.
    Adding shelves that attach to window rims, 'inexpensive' would make a huge difference, too.

Especially if they'll be on a ledge. Which is where the shelves come in.

Some choices are African Violets, Philodenrons, Pothos, Green Sygoniums...if humidity is medium to high, ferns and Episcias. Episcias are absolutely beautiful, and don't take much space. Their colors are amazing.
    Bromiliads look good, too, and live at least a year...pups grow off the side, can be removed, rooted, and regrown. One Bromiliad can last a life time.

Linda, your shelves look great. How much space is between shelves?

I can't make out the large plant...What is it? Toni

• Krisenr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much Linda!! I definitely take care when placing plants next to windows, they do get cold in the winter so I try my best to make sure the plant isn't touching, if it can be avoided. Thanks for the pics and advice :)

Toni,

The humidity is probably low to medium in the bathroom. Something flowering would definitely be my choice, if possible. I'm going to look into the ones you suggested :)

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

First photo contains begonias (bottom two shelves) and ivy and ferns uppermost. I believe those are begonias and trailing African violets on the table. All begonias are rhizos.

Second photo's bottom two shelves are those episcias that don't take up much room. :-) Top shelf a pachira and two maidenhair ferns (on pebble trays).

Table was a jade. I got sick and it got overwatered. I think I mourned its loss more than any other.

In a bathroom with a frosted window streptocarpus would grow and bloom (see link). You could also try trailing African violets; I, personally, wouldn't grow rosette type since I'm lazy and it takes too much turning to keep them uniform.

Episcias are a bit touchy which is why I don't grown them any more.

I ran the side strips the entire length of the window and then adjusted the brackets/shelves.

Kris: You could also use plexiglass which would allow more light for plants than the wood. As a matter of fact, any of the plants on my shelves would work in your bathroom.

Have fun,

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Streps

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Kris, check Streps, too. I've never had one, but since Linda vouches for them, she knows what she's talking about.
    They grow very pretty, different colored flowers.

Linda, for some reason I can't open your Streps link. Think it's my computer which is undergoing a breakdown..lol.

Yep, Episcias need a good amount to high humidity. I only have one; it's living in a small fish bowl. Pinks Episcias are absolutely gorgeous, but I believe they need even more humidity than other colors.
    I assumed since Chris's plants would go in the bathroom, there would be more humidity.

How large do Streps get? Are they cared for like Gloxinias?
    Glox's are beautiful, too, and don't need a ton of humidity, but they need light/sun. Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

I think a Hoya would like those conditions too. Most are easy to grow and you can find them in places like Lowe's and Home Depot. They get these sweet smelling flowers and leaves that look waxy and they come in different sizes and colors. Be careful, those plants are easy to get hooked on to! lol Have fun!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Well, one can grow a lot at west windows, that's the only exposure I've got, all 3 windows.

Here's one, a variety of succulents

{{gwi:111487}}

an interesting arrangement as it's both a window sill w/ plants & then another, table, of comparable height & depth, adding to the 'sill' space as it were.

in a couple of feet from that west window

{{gwi:73678}}

West window can make some nice light, I do well w/ it.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Karen & Brad. West windows are fantastic, but Kris's window is frosted.

Do you think Hoyas and succulents will do well in frost panes?
    Some Hoyas will thrive in less light, but don't know if they'll bloom...???

Karen, what is the plant in pic 2, white pot to the left? A vine? Toni

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Frosted windows isn't a bit deal either, just obscures some of the light & while you appear stuck on direct sun (see rooting in warm vs. cool on your thread), the plants do fine w/ it.

I have 3 different Hoyas in a frosted west window (my bathroom) & those Hoyas grow like crazy, they love the frosted window, I think it affords them the dappled light they like so much.

The white pot in the 2nd pic is a variegated Hoya kerrii (w/ white edges) which grows Hydro, which I bought from a specialty Hydro plant vendor 3 yrs. ago, it just had its 3 yr anniversary.

For more pix in detail of that, the plant & its hydro set-up, pls. go to Hoya Forum & search for my thread called something like 'Hydro variegated H. kerrii'.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Karen. As I said on the the other thread, I wasn't the one who brought up direct sun when rooting cuttings or sowing seeds.
    My question was whether or not a 'succulent cutting' needed light to root. I NEVER mentioned Direct Sun.

There are many plants that need full sun. My Hoyas thrive in bright light, but to get a decent amount of blooms, require full sun.

Cactus and succulents need full/direct sun. Without proper light, plants grow spindly. Mature plants, not cuttings.

Naturally there are plants that do well in low and medium light. Nothing wrong with experimenting. If a plant does well in a certain type of window so be it.

IMO, placing a high light plant in a frosted window 'might' cause problems. Lack of flowers, spindly growth, etc.

So, Karen, I'm not talking about direct sun. Thank you, Toni

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Excuse me Toni,

We are apparently misunderstanding each other, I'm sorry. I never said you said direct sun, yet it seems to be what you're saying. Was going to ask if you regard full sun the same as direct sun, but as above, you do. Sorry, I give up on this one.