i bought this plant for my wife's birthday. it seems i gonna take care of it
i want to start read about it
can you help me with the name

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9211079@N05/6306318060/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: id needed

your pic. Very pretty!

It looks like an Rhododendron/azalea but I wouldn't usually expect to see one in a pot. That may be necessary for growing in Saudi Arabia?

o

Azalea indica - not frost hardy so always grown as a house plant in the UK. Needs plenty of light, but not direct sun, and cool conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea indica

o

many thanks.
seems i am having a lot to read to keep it alive

o

khourshed, among your photographs I saw an outdoor scene with Date Palms and similar. If this is the area in which you live, you can set the azalea outside after it has finished blooming (certainly by next March) and treat it as an outdoor plant; unless you want to have it indoors for those months when it will be green only. Take care not to prune it after July or it might not flower next year. You can bring it inside when it starts to bloom again.
Incidentally, are you the one standing next to the 'Allegra' robot?

o

purpleinopp, in Saudi Arabia all indoor plants are imported from Holland. They produce very beautiful indoor plants.

ronalawn82, I do not think it will tolerate being out door in the summer. in my part of the world it is very hot and sun is burning.
The photo of the date palm was taken in one of the 5 star hotels in Abu Dhabi so the land scape is beautiful
yes it is me beside the Robot ;-)

o

...imported from Holland. They produce very beautiful indoor plants.

I totally agree!

o

Purple..Florist Azaleas are sold here year round, especially on holidays. They're forced into buds/blooms, flowers of all colors.

Not the easiest house plants, but with proper care they will survive. Toni

o

Thanks, Toni. I've probably seen them and just didn't pay any attention. If it doesn't have variegated foliage (and isn't on clearance) I'll probably just walk right by. I gave up trying to grow house plants just for their flowers a LONG time ago. But in Saudi Arabia, I'm sure any plant would be a wonderful novelty to anyone. OP's plant is especially nicely-shaped, too. There's nothing to not like about that!

o

Khourshed, it occured to me that Stromanthes tricolor might suit your situation very well. Pull up this site to look at some pictures of the plant.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stromanthe+triostar&hl=en&pwst=1&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGHP_enUS439&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8ky-TrW4L8m2tweko9HSBg&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=866&sei=-Ey-Tq_GMYWCtgfh0eCdBg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here