Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlawithak_gw

suggestions for a really big spider plant

karlawithak
10 years ago

Plant is in a hanging basket with whatever those liners are called and dirt. I just bought this and I am wondering if I should switch out the old liner and use fresh dirt. I don't know what to expect if I take it out of the pot. Would these typically have a tight root ball or be all over the place? Should I find a larger planter? Should I split it? In the picture, plant is upended slightly due to the weight.
Thanks for suggestions

Comments (20)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I wouldn't mess with a plant looking that good. Removing the few dead leaves at the top would put it in the 'looks great' category. As far as roots go, I don't see them separating them from the coir liner easily, if at all. They make huge tubers that store water. In the ground, they get much larger, and can go down about 12 inches. The coir liner is obviously much better than a plastic hanging basket pot, in which the roots smush against each other so tightly that the inside of the root ball can become hydrophobic. Saturating enough to remedy that makes this pancake of roots at the bottom unhappy, plant not happy either way, after roots have filled such a pot.

10 years ago

Nowhere for these roots to go/grow. Plant started looking terrible.

If weight is an issue for your plant, you could remove babies from inside the 'globe' of them without changing the appearance at all. Fantastic plant!

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

coir fiber last for sev years. if you really want to add a bit of newer soil without disturbing the plant much i'd suggest getting a basket with coir liner that is larger and just lifting it out from old wire basket and plopping it into the new, without doing anything else. the older coir liner will get thinner and thinner with time until it almost dissolves.
    you could also top-dress with a couple of inches of new soil, the older rhizomes usually start pushing out of the soil, so it's good to cover them a bit.
    i'd also thin out the babies - easy to start them in water or reg soilless potting mix.

10 years ago

Petruska, that's brilliant!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

OMG!!! Your Spider is the largest and pretties I've ever seen.
    It must weight a ton, unless it's all roots..

I can't believe the number of shoots/babies.

Beautiful. Toni

• the_analyst
    10 years ago

Wow! That is a giant spider plant. Biggest I've seen. Keep us updated on your decision.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

Remember Eva's spider plant page? I cannot find it anymore.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

OMG, that is gorgeous !!!!!

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi....that plant is fantastic.....just keep doing what you are doing.....I have never seen one so huge....I am green with envy......thanks for posting....linda

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

It's. A. MONSTER!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

• Pat z6 MI
    9 years ago

Hello, hello, karla? Please tell us how your huge, beautiful spider plant is doing and what you did to it, if anything.
    Pat

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    8 years ago

Bumping this up to karla again. Would LOVE to see how this spider is doing now.

• dert17
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

karlawithak

I'd like to see on this spider plant now too.

• Photo Synthesis
    8 years ago

Unfortunately, I doubt she'll be back. This post was two years ago, and she's only ever commented twice. :(

Hopefully, both of my beautiful Hawaiian spiders will rival this one one day. :)

• dert17
    8 years ago

I sow this spider plant and I thought:

1. So amazing plant

2. There are a lot of spiders

3. It's photoshop. I don't know this is photoshop or not. I don't want to tell that this is photoshop. I believe that this is not photoshop.

I have never seen such a large Chlorophytum. If this gigant plant exist we can find more pictures this plant in Internet, right? But I can not find another example of such a large plant.

This is an example big Spider Plant but this plant is small if we will compare with karlawithak's plant.

If this gigant plant exist (I mean karlawithak's plant) we can find more pictures this plant in Internet, right? Can anyone find a picture of such a big spider plant on the Internet? It will be interesting to see another very big Spider Plant.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Is that (Hawiian) the one with the yellow stripe down the center of the leaves? Don't they eventually turn all green though?

• Mia Miami
    8 years ago

Wow! Amazing. Half of me wouldn't touch it and would just give it a good watering once every 7-10 days. Half of me would repot it with fresh new soil in a slightly bigger pot that works for where you are keeping it and I'd also take about 10 pups off, root and start growing them to give away as gifts ( 3 pups per pot gift ) but that's just me :)

• deborah watson
    6 years ago

I have one similar

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

they do grow like this naturally - they just need a LOT of water to survive with so many off-shoots. and feed :)...voracious suckers ;)

I used to have one like that - but I have no place to hang it - so I cut off and plant the babies - they look like grass in containers.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner