Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestions for a really big spider plant

Posted by karlawithak none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 11:36

Plant is in a hanging basket with whatever those liners are called and dirt. I just bought this and I am wondering if I should switch out the old liner and use fresh dirt. I don't know what to expect if I take it out of the pot. Would these typically have a tight root ball or be all over the place? Should I find a larger planter? Should I split it? In the picture, plant is upended slightly due to the weight.
Thanks for suggestions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestions for a really big spider plant

I wouldn't mess with a plant looking that good. Removing the few dead leaves at the top would put it in the 'looks great' category. As far as roots go, I don't see them separating them from the coir liner easily, if at all. They make huge tubers that store water. In the ground, they get much larger, and can go down about 12 inches. The coir liner is obviously much better than a plastic hanging basket pot, in which the roots smush against each other so tightly that the inside of the root ball can become hydrophobic. Saturating enough to remedy that makes this pancake of roots at the bottom unhappy, plant not happy either way, after roots have filled such a pot.

o

Nowhere for these roots to go/grow. Plant started looking terrible.

If weight is an issue for your plant, you could remove babies from inside the 'globe' of them without changing the appearance at all. Fantastic plant!

o

coir fiber last for sev years. if you really want to add a bit of newer soil without disturbing the plant much i'd suggest getting a basket with coir liner that is larger and just lifting it out from old wire basket and plopping it into the new, without doing anything else. the older coir liner will get thinner and thinner with time until it almost dissolves.
you could also top-dress with a couple of inches of new soil, the older rhizomes usually start pushing out of the soil, so it's good to cover them a bit.
i'd also thin out the babies - easy to start them in water or reg soilless potting mix.

o

Petruska, that's brilliant!

o

OMG!!! Your Spider is the largest and pretties I've ever seen.
It must weight a ton, unless it's all roots..

I can't believe the number of shoots/babies.

Beautiful. Toni

o

Wow! That is a giant spider plant. Biggest I've seen. Keep us updated on your decision.

o

Remember Eva's spider plant page? I cannot find it anymore.

o

OMG, that is gorgeous !!!!!

o

Hi....that plant is fantastic.....just keep doing what you are doing.....I have never seen one so huge....I am green with envy......thanks for posting....linda

o

It's. A. MONSTER!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here