Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19747767

Dracaena Dropping Leaves

User
9 years ago

I have a dracaena that I bought as "Song of India". It was bought about 2 months ago. Over the past month it has started getting brown leaves and dropping a lot of leaves. I repotted it two weeks ago as all the plants I had bought were severely root bound. The dracaena did not recover. In fact, the problem has gotten worse!

Last night all the leaves off the now bare stem just fell off! They were still green so I'm not sure what happened. The only thing I can think of is the spot where it was sitting is a little drafty and cool (we got snow yesterday) and the stem that is (now) bare was closest to the outside wall. Could that have caused the leaves to fall off?

I also see that I need to give this poor plant a good cleaning! My apologies for the state of her (?) leaves.

Comments (9)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another pic of the brown leaves. Even the new growth at the tip seems to be brown.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

If it is indeed a 'Song of India,' they are not known for their easiness. The soil looks very water retentive, that could be creating an issue.

Where do you have it placed light wise (near a window, on a table, etc.?). If it's near a window, what direction does the window face (South, East, etc.?).

How often do you water?

Planto

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

Can be a temp issue because the brown tips seem to be on one side only.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was on a table near a west window, but like I said, it's quite drafty there. The spider plant doesn't seem to mind, but I'm not sure about this gal. I only have east, west, and north facing windows so if there is a better spot to try please let me know your thoughts.

I've been watering once a week until water drains out the bottom and then clearing out the reservoir. Our tap water does not have fluoride and I let my water sit to off-gas the chlorine (although I read in one thread that doesn't work very well). The soil could be quite water retentive though. I was just reading some of Al's info on soil and repotting vs. potting up. I now know that I just potted up. So it could be a root issue. Like I mentioned, all the plants I bought were very root bound, so a little root maintenance probably wouldn't hurt. However, since it's practically winter here now is it best to wait until Spring to do that?

Also, upon further investigation, this poor gal seems to be a bit buggy. While dusting off her poor leaves I noticed lots of little flying guys hovering around and found some webby looking stuff where the leaves meet the stem. I cleaned off all I could with cotton swabs and cleaned all the leaves top and bottom and will now be going to research pest removal! I also checked the other plants and they all appear to be bug free.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

The flying bugs sound like fungus gnats, a sign of overly water retentive soil. The webbing is more concerning, as it sounds like spider mites. The gnats are a nuisance more than an issue, but the spider mites are definitely a concern. Dracaenas are spider mite prone and once the infestation is severe enough, very difficult to treat (although, it doesn't sound like it's gotten that severe).

Planto

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you are going to ruin your table if you dont protect it ...

transplant shock ...

i dont like the look of the media.. what did you use ... not all media is equal ...

and why are roots showing???

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

If those 2 spots were in contact with an especially cold surface, that could have caused those spots to turn brown. How cold did the room get where this plant lives?

Could you describe more about the repot? What did the roots look like? Did you trim them at all? Did you remove the old soil?

The soil does look very dense and airless. Roots need oxygen and moisture at the same time to function.

• birdsnblooms
    9 years ago

Ridding, mites are your first priority.
    Did you recently water? Soil looks wet.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I'll try and address each of them.

First of all, for everyone who is suggesting this is not good soil...I agree and will try and rectify that as soon as possible.

Planto, I think you're right - fungus gnats and spider mites. I've seen a few more fuzzy spots since my q-tip cleaning. Right now the plant is sequestered in the sink away from everyone else (but not getting wet).

Ken, that table is not it's usual home. I just plunked it there to take the photo, so the wood is safe! Also, roots are showing because that's how the plant came.

Purple, I don't know how cold it got. It's been hovering around 0 degrees Celsius here and that wall is cold to the touch. My potting up was just basic take out of one, put in a bigger one and add soil around the edges. After reading more here I realize I should change the soil and do some root maintenance. I'm assuming that would especially be a good idea now that I have this bare stalk that should be removed.

Hopeful, I had just recently watered, which is why the soil looked wet.

Looks like I will be working on getting rid of the mites and gnats before I change to a coarser potting medium. The plant seems to be holding steady since the weekend and not losing anymore leaves or gaining any more brown spots. Come spring all my plants will be getting a change of soil and some root maintenance.

Thank you all for your answers. I'm always open to learning!

Kat