Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Flowering Houseplants

marquest
12 years ago

Because of the gloomy winter weather that I have in my zone I look for Flowering houseplants and Plants with very pretty leaves with as much color as I can find.

I have a Sunroom/Morning room next to the kitchen which is the first room I sit in to enjoy my morning tea and relax when I am home.

I have Orchids, Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter Cactus, Armarylis,

What do you have to give you your color fix inside for the winter?

These are my two new Orchids. I love that the blooms last for months so it gives me my flower fix most of the winter.

{{gwi:111555}}

{{gwi:111556}}

Comments (36)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Morning Marquest.

Very nice Orchids. Don't ya just love them???

Three winter blooming plants:

Cyclamen
    Azalea
    Geranium

Cyclamen and Azaleas are difficult, but with some effort will live.
    The oldest Azalea I had was 11-yrs, then it kicked the bucket due to hot days and under-watering while outdoors. It was so pretty. One side had pink flowers, the other side, pink and white.

Cyclamen will thrive, again with effort. My Cyclamen is going on 3-yrs..the last two years it bloomed from mid-winter until early spring.
    Due to excessive rain this summer and autumn, the poor little plant was drenched. Two leaves are now sprouting, but look sad.

Geraniums. Now, these macho plants are hardy and can winter all year.
    Those bought at garden centers seem to be less fussy than Fragrant or Fancy Leaf types.
    Geraniums live for years if treated like a succulent during winter months..on sunny days in winter, a little fertilizer won't do harm.

One year, a piece broke off my mom Geranium. I stuck the cutting in wet soil, 'dark, south window,' pot w/o drainage, inches above a very cold floor. It flowered the same year! From winter till summer. See how hardy they can be?

Some succulents are winter-bloomers, especially Kalanchoes, Aloes and Haworthias.

It's been years since I had an Amaryllis, so while at the grocery store, they had a bulb/pot/peat disc in one box. Don't know what possessed me to buy it, but the cost was under five, and thought a pretty, red flower will look nice, if it grows around the holidays.
    The pot hasn't drainage, but I used it anyway. If it survives, I'll drill holes after flowering.

If you're daring, Dwarf French Marigolds will grow from seeds, although I hesitate over-wintering Marigolds because they usually attract Spider Mites.

Marquest, there are other winter-flowering succulents, but can't recall names..

So, what do you have in mind?? Toni

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni,

I have decided to retire early. Life events have put me in the frame of mind to do some other things before I die. LOL I am starting to feel like the Willie Nelson song. I seem a lot of places in my life and time and it is time for the travel to be over.

I am looking for something that is going to bloom as much as possible and lots of color. When I finish the kitchen/Morning room/Sunroom project I am going to need lots of color. I am going white cabinets white walls. Flowers, leaves etc are needed.

When you say Geranium do you mean Pelargonium. I did kill a couple of them. Maybe I will try again.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Marquest, of all my plants, one that never is w/o flowers is E. Crown of Thorn, milii.

A friend gave me a cutting in 1982. I rooted, and kept since. That's one plant that is never w/o blooms, in spite of season.

5-6 years ago, it stood about 4', until the wind knocked it down. The entire top broke off. Boy, was I angry! #$#%

Even though it's shorter, it flowers.
    The flowers aren't spectacular, but nice enough. There are some COT blooms that have the prettiest colors.
    Mine has small, about 1/2", pink and white flowers.

E. Thai has larger blooms and can bloom year round. They're easy to care for, even thrive on neglect.

Ever go to garden centers that sell outdoor plants? If so, they usually sell Geraniums in 4-6" pots.
    Flowers are red, pink, pink and white, etc.
    They don't say Pelargonium, just Geranium.

Had this Geranium 5 yrs. It too passed away, but it was my fault.

{{gwi:111557}}

Leaves don't have the dark rings, but that's okay. Toni

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

You could try streptocarpus. Like African violets, they bloom continuously if taken care of properly. Mine do great in a South window in Oyama Planters.

Strep don't need big containers to grow large (the biggest I use is 5") and mine prefer natural to artificial light.

The Gesneriad Forum has lots of useful information.

I've included a link to a great site that shows all the different hybrids.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Strep Information

• grace_m
    12 years ago

That orchid is beautiful!
    Mine is a plain ole AV that I grew from a leaf from my Grandmother's plant. My Grandmother passed away a few years ago, so it's really special. I plopped the leaf in MG soil and a clay pot and it survived and is about to bloom.

I promised to treat it kinder now that I know better:)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:111548}}

• User
    12 years ago

Really depends on the temperatures of your sun room. Too warm, and some species won't perform, too cool and you'll have issues with the tropicals. I'm assuming it's relatively cool in the winter though. You might want to consider fragrance in addition to color to bring in the spring feeling. You definitely should consider the jasmines (I like Winter Jasmine for February blooming.) Another very fragrant shrub is Osmanthus fortunei (Sweet olive). Also consider a citrus tree or two (maybe a Meyer's or Eureka lemon, kumquats, mandarins, or Valencia Orange). In addition to fragrance, the fruit is very colorful and tends to last all winter. Nothing screams spring more loudly to me than the scent of fresh orange blossoms.

• GrowHappy
    12 years ago

African Violets!!!:) They are easy plants and always in bloom if you give them what they require. Nothing like an AV in full bloom. As Linda said, streptocarpus are also a good choice. They prefer cooler temps and drier soil than AVs, but are just beautiful when in bloom.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Marquest!

What a great idea to start. Hum, I shall have to think on this one and try to capture a few pics now. Great looking plants I say!

Everyone has beautiful plants. Thanks for the show thus far.

Mike:-)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Don't forget good ol' peace lily.

I know people keep all kinds of Begonias, although this is a type of plant I can kill pretty fast. I got this one in May (a cane I think) and it's still blooming. High hopes for it and the babies I've propagated.
    {{gwi:111558}}

{{gwi:111559}}

When I overwinter Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus) there are almost always blooms in Jan or after. (Not my pic, but this is what the flowers look like:)
    {{gwi:111560}}

This plant is much bigger than it looks in this pic, if I knew more about photography I might know why... (My pic:)
    {{gwi:111561}}

This impatiens, a mother's day present from my son, is still blooming like crazy, will see how it does...
    {{gwi:111562}}

I've always wanted to pot up bunches of bulbs like I've read about (but never get around to doing.) After they chill long enough in your frige or garage, you start taking 1 or 2 out per week and soon you have pots of hyacinths, daffs, tulips, etc... whatever you like.

Winter really shows us which plants we truly love all the time, and which are just there, unimportant unless/until they bloom again. This is why I gave up on jasmine, indoor gardenia, tropical hibiscus and the like. Realized I don't really like the plants, the boring plain green leaves and gangly appearance, just the flowers. Don't jump on me, I'm not saying everyone should feel that way, or that one way is better than another, just saying I was much happier when I understood this about myself and mention it for those who might feel the same but are in denial or just don't realize it. Something like an African violet, with leaves that are so pleasant to touch, I like even when it has no flowers.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Growhappy..Duh, African Violets!!! How can I forget AV's? lol.
    Mine had a Mealy infestation last winter. After a constant battle, most went in the trash. Some were from 2004, one from seed. I miss my collection, boo hoo.

Purple, what type of Begonia do you have? The flowers are gorgeous!!
    I started collecting Begonias last spring, 'by looking for one type,' ended up with a bunch. lol.
    The flower is so different than other Begonias.

Speaking of Begonias, I forgot to add...the common, store-bought Accent/Wax Begonia will bloom year round. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I can't believe I'm about to quote Britney Spears but "oops I did it again." What is up with my mental block about calling begonias impatiens? The one with the red flowers is a wax begonia, NOT impatiens.

The one with pink flowers is a cane begonia, I think. If it has a more specific handle, I don't know it. I was hoping since I don't like this one as much as some with prettier leaves, it might stay alive. Hahaha!

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You all are great. Thank you for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Purple, I once started a thread called, 'Oops I did it Again,' words that describe our meaning. But it was regarding buying another plant..lol

Yep, it IS a Wax Begonia..the flowers are so red. You lucked out w/that plant. They're usually pink or white..sometimes a darker pink, but pink.

I also like dark purple Wax Begonias. It's best purchasing in spring as as outdoor Accent/Edging plant than buying as a house plant..They're one and the same, but buying as a house plant up's the cost. lol.

Same applies to Asparagus/Plumosis Ferns.

Marquest..I forgot..Asparagus, etc, bloom and berry throughout winter months..tiny, white flowers.

Chlorophytum/Spider Plants also bloom during winter, but I think you're looking for something more dramatic. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hi Toni! Where are some more of yours! I have a few of geraniums too. I just love the fragrant ones for sure.

Purple: Absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for sharing. Here is a few of mine too:-)

My flowering yellow TC

{{gwi:111563}}

My yellow flowering Gardenia

{{gwi:111564}}

Brunfelsia

{{gwi:3201}}

Pinkish flowering TC

{{gwi:3202}}

Goldfish plant which makes me smile every time I look at it. For some reason, thus one is special. I started it as 4 3 inch cutting about a year and a half ago.

{{gwi:71258}}

White Gardenia

{{gwi:52166}}

Do these count? They are so colorful, they remind me of flowers!
    My different jades.

{{gwi:3207}}

{{gwi:105168}}

{{gwi:3215}}

{{gwi:111565}}

{{gwi:111566}}

My Michelia Alba

{{gwi:111567}}

• elkay_gw
    12 years ago

I just bought these two little guys yesterday - a mini african violet (noid) and a little kalanchoe that will have yellow flowers soon.
    {{gwi:111568}}

I have a few orchids...
    {{gwi:105518}}

{{gwi:111569}}

AV and hypoestes
    {{gwi:111570}}

Christmas Cactus
    {{gwi:111571}}

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found something else I put together. I will see if it works long term. I like to combine plants. Cyclamen and Thanksgiving Cactus.

I will not lose a lot if it does not work out. I found the cyclamen on sale for 1.00 and I took some pieces of my Thanksgiving cactus and rooted them in the pot.

{{gwi:111572}}

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

marquest,
    Good to hear from you. Hope 2012 is your best year yet. Enjoying retirement? I retired 2 years ago, and I still dream I'm at work. (nightmare) It takes time to learn to retire. I miss reading your posts.
    Stush

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi there Stush, I am not enjoying retirement. I have to find something to do I am a over active person and doing nothing is not good for me. The only good thing about retirement is I have more money than I had working.

Now have to find something to do so when I lay my head down at night I can sleep. I know depression is part of sleepless nights but I need to be tired to sleep.

I do not think GW wants me to post to much because I am a crazy woman. LOL My post are a little on the crazy side.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Mike and Elkay...Beautiful plants...
    Mike your Brunsfelsia is doing fantastic.
    Elkay, I love your orchid w/little purple spots..

Marquest, combining is fun, as long as plants are compatible.
    Ever see combined plants like a cactus and palm or succulents and fern?? Who disigns these baskets???

Don't know why but my Easter Cactus is budding/flowering. Isn't it too early???
    Buds aren't as big as they should be though, Toni

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni yes your easter cactus is early but it might be because of the unusual winter we are having. I have had more sun than ever for this time of year.

12 years ago

Marquest,
    Depression is a serious problem. I have suffered from this for many years. Pills made it worse. I have a easy read bible at my night stand and when I can't sleep, I start to read it. Start with the new testament before reading from the beginning. This is the only real peace I find. And we love crazy people here. Please don't stop or change.
    Also I loved that silver Sans you rescued out of that dumpster. Maybe I can get a pup from you this spring?

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Marquest, our weather this year is unlike any other winter I've been on earth. :)

Two days sunny, 5 days cloudy, 1 day sun, 9 days clouds. Temps range from 9F to 40F. Some days warmer, others colder. It snowed a little, but not enough to accumulate.

It's been dark all morning, but the sun just popped out, which will probably last 3 mins.

Now that you're caught up on IL weather, lol.

Wonder if I should fertilize the EC. Do you, this time of year? Especially since we're getting little light.
    You're lucky getting more sun than clouds. Toni

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni I fert all year with all my plants. In the summer I do put a little in every watering and in the winter they get a little once a month. LOL

Sure Sush we can talk this summer. Maybe you live close to me and we can meet.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Marquest, the only additive I use in winter is SuperThrive.
    Some plants, like Hibiscus and Geraniums get a small dose, but I've never fertililzed Holiday Cactus this time of year.
    Guess a small dose of flowering wouldn't hurt.

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni I guess I should not say fertilizer per se. I too use superthrive and I told you I love VF-11. I put that in my water every water and sometime I use Miracle Gro blooming fert because I need a super bloom action for the Brugs so the other flowering plants get a shot of that in the summer.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Marquest, I have two bottles of VF-11. I was planning on foliar fertilizing with it when I read, 'not to be used w/other fertilizers.'

Someone from this forum told me she uses VF as a foliar spray, and swore it worked terrific. I know it does just by her plants.. Yours too.

Anyway, I never used it for fear other fertilizers, SuperThrive plus VF would kill my plants..EEeekk

BTW, I use several fertilizers. Hibs get a special Hib fertilizer. I've been using it about 22 yrs. Before finding it, I killed every darn Hibicus..could be coincident but don't think so.

Citrus, Gardarnias, Palms, 'acidic loving plants' get an acidic fertilizer plus ST.

ETC.

Now you're saying you use VF and fertilizers!! What the heck??? lol. Toni

BTW, this can be confirmed on VF's site.

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think what she was saying you do not need to use it with fertilizer. VF-11 is not a fertilizer I think of it as a mineral.

I have been using it for three years with fert nothing died yet. My plants were dying from no water because I was not home. LOL

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Marquest, I mean, VF's website states not to use w/fertilizer.

This info was found on VF's site. That's what scared me away, lol.
    This spring, I plan on using VF, with fertilizer and Superthrive. Different times though..I never use the dosage other fertilizers suggest, even in summer, so a little of each should be okay..

Funny, you think of it as a mineral. When I was told about VF, I thought of it like Superthrive. Can't recall the reason. lol.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hi Marquest! So good to see you posting again. I hope you are doing well. I worry more about you than your plants lately. It's good to see you again here!:-)

Hello Toni and Stush!!!!:-)))

Got a sec to stop by and wish you all well!

Mike

12 years ago

Do you know we like each other based on actual commutations. Not based on sex, color, creed, or even religion. Now that is something special. Think about it for a minuet.
    There is one thing we have in common. We love plants. Now don't that tell you something.
    All around the world we love who love plants.
    Too deep for me. I gave myself a headace.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hey Mike..glad you dropped by. :)

Stush, What? lol

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni, what I read is...."think of it as a strength and health builder. It's loaded with the many minerals so lacking in our soils. And it's in a form that your plants can absorb immediately. That's why you see lovely changes, so fast it's almost startling!"

So I do not think of it as a fertilizer but as a soil conditioner. So I am conditioning the soil so the plant can take up the fert better. Just trying to cover all my bases. Since I was not home daily to care for plants. Now that I am retired maybe I will be able to do better but I still do not think I will be a watering person. I do not like walking around giving plants water. LOL

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Marquest...as soon as you said, 'now that I'm retired,' the first thing that came to mind was, oh, oh, she's going to over-water.
    In a way it's good you don't like walking around, water can in hand, soaking anything green. :)

Do you foliar feed w/VF? Toni

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep I foliar feed w/VF. I am more in tune to walk around with a squirt bottle in my hand than a watering can. I did that alot when I was working. I do not know why I do not like to water but it is just not me.

Maybe if I had a greenhouse and I could just pour the water on and not care where the water went I might not mind. That is one of the reasons I like pots without drainage. I can put a splash of water in the pot and keep moving.

I had a cactus dry up and die last year. I just will not water. I cannot wait for summer so they can go outside and let mother nature take care of all that watering duties. LOL

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Last week I stopped at HD...bought two pump spray bottles.
    The spray is remarkable. Won't help watering, but really does a great job misting.

I bought a second pump spray, brand, Round Up. I haven't tried this bottle yet, but the picture shows 3 nozzles. I believe one is for watering. I hope and pray it does.

My dream is to one day get a watering container on wheels, lol. Toni

I normally haul 1 gallon milk containers..takes a lot of time watering each plant.

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love misting my plants and nothing is better than a good mister. I cannot put all my plants in the shower some that I bring in are too big to lift into the tub.

I have hoses in the back and front. There is no way I could water my gardens with a bottle. Both the plants and me would be dead. Remember I have 4 acres and I spread the gardens out so that would be to much back and forth with a bottle of water.

I do have to find a nicer looking hose holder.