Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

True Christmas Cactus...please tell me

puglvr1
10 years ago

So this is the first year I was able to root and actually survive a nice small pot of the True CC (thanks to a generous member for sharing) . I've tried rooting a few cuttings before and had no luck. so I'm pretty excited! All my Thanksgiving ones have buds on them yet there is no sign whatsoever on my TCC...do they normally bud/bloom much later and that is why its Christmas Cactus since they bloom closer to Christmas? Anyone out there have their TCC budding or blooming now?

Thanks,

Comments (32)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Did you mean to attach a pic?

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Hi Puglvr! They will bud and bloom much later if they are going to do it this year. You may see some buds start in November, but the bloom period of the CC is more late December-Feb/March on a mature plant. So there is still plenty of time to bud up on that one. Early January is a pretty solid time to have blooms, so I always look around December to see if buds are starting.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

My CC has a couple minute buds right now. I just noticed at the end of last week. My TC are in full bloom. Last year I didn't start getting buds on my CC until December. Hope that helps!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Julianna and Laura!

Purple, no I didn't post a picture...since there's no buds I figured I'd wait to post it when it had buds or blooms :o)

That is good to know, so there is still plenty of time for mine to get buds...I will keep fingers crossed!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Yep! You still have time. Just keep giving it the natural light treatment and if it will make buds this year, you have a good shot at getting them :)

10 years ago

Ok, cool. Looking forward to a pic whenever you feel like adding one, sending good bloom vibes!

• val1
    10 years ago

I have one Christmas Cactus that has three blooms already open and many buds. I think it is a little confused. The other is budding. However, I have one Thanksgiving Cactus that is just beginning to show tiny buds. The cuttings that I took in the summer are also just showing tiny buds. I am hoping you get to see some blooms this year.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    you're grossly underestimating the nature of the florida climate !!lol
    My CC always flower around ground hog day TC around labor day
    Easter lily around fourth of july Red poinsttias are in full bloom now while the whites and golds are just starting to color .
    Gave up a long time ago trying to control them so just enjoy the flowers whenever they come along?? gary

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Gary-- those all sound like normal bloom ranges for those plants. Several you mentioned are forced to bloom earlier or later for the nursery trade.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hiya Pug,

I'm guessing you've got time yet. My old TC used to bloom for New Years & didn't really start to set bud 'til Xmas or a bit after. So maybe TCCs can bloom late too.

I've got 3 small pots of TCC cuttings auditioning several different spots in my home right now. I think they're too young to bloom, but would be delighted to be wrong!

Don't give up -- there's still hope!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Afternoon All,

Nancy, congrats rooting CC cuttings!

Now that you've succeeded, do you feel comfortable rooting TC's??

To think the number of times we've spent talking about rooting TC's and (Hoyas)...lol.

I've never had a true CC, but I agree they'd bloom later than TC's..
    Even EC's flower around Easter. So, our plants must know what they're doing. :)

BTW, what does TCC mean?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Forget the question. I reread the subject line. Duh. lol. Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!! You all have given me hope that I will see some buds, it will be my first time seeing them on my very first one, so I'm really looking forward to it!

PG, good luck! I hope you get some blooms also on your TCC.

Gary, that's part of the exciting thing about living in FL...85 degrees in the middle of November,lol...

Toni, I'm not comfortable rooting TC or CC's but I'm trying,lol...
    As a matter of fact I just rooted my very first set of TC cuttings... an unusual TC 'sport' with light green and yellow with red new growths and I'm SO excited. I was so sure they were going to rot before it rooted, I was pleasantly surprised!

Below is the small pot of cuttings I actually rooted called TC 'cristen aurea' They get red new growths that fade to light green as it starts to mature...almost 6 weeks later all the red/pink new growths have turned yellowish green, its a nice variety...very different than the dark green TC version.

I attached a link below to a sold auction on Ebay...a very full 4" pot that sold for $95. I hope mine get that large in a few years...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay sold listing

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 19:55

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hey!
    My CC is just now setting buds....but it'll bloom for months. You've got lots of time :-)

Josh

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Gorgeous puglvr! That is one I have wanted for a long time but haven't been able to get. That is going to make a lovely plant for you!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Congrats, Nancy!
    I knew they'd root for you! ;-)

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh and Julianna...

Josh, I can't believe they rooted for me...or least I think it has? Its till alive so the odds are good :o)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy for you..They could not be with a better person than with you....It's about time they realized that...:-)

MIke

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Julianna
    I know those are normal but if florists do it why can't I??
    gary

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Nancy,

Very unusual TC's, Cristen Aurea...they're really pretty.
    Do your cuttings have red?

I knew you could do it. It was just a matter of time. :)

I love the TC sold on Ebay, but 95.00 is way past my budget. lol.
    Is the seller in US?

Last week I went grocery shopping. Two stores had TC but nothing unusual. Plain green, NO variegation, red and pink blooms.

Can't recall if I told you. Remember the little variegated TC I found locally?
    It was kept inside and remained variegated. This summer, I allowed it to summer outdoors..guess what happened? Leaves turned green.

Other than the variegated TC, I bought one other at Logee's.
    It's called 'Aspen.' Flowers look nothing like standard TC's.
    Have you seen it?

One seller on Ebay made a fortune selling Aspen cuttings. Actually, the same seller you and I once shopped.' Do you remember?

Good luck, Nancy..

10 years ago

Seriously, $95 for a TC plant?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike!!

Purple, I can't believe it either...$95 is waaay off my budget!! Not for any plant :o)

Toni, mine had red (but maybe dark pink would be more accurate) when I first received the cuttings...below you can see the tiny new red growths but they only lasted a couple of weeks then they slowly fade to yellow then apple green...

I DO remember the Ebay seller you're talking about...BTW Toni guess what I found a very NICE 6" pot of Orange TC at Wally World for $6.88...I'm SO happy!! I'll post a picture on the next one since I can only post one picture at a time using GW picture thingy...

SO sorry to hear about your variegated reverting back, I guess that's why cannot spend the $100 PLUS for these variegated ones on Ebay with my bad luck it would revert back to green :o(

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 12:08

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

There was one TC a bit back that sold for over $400 :)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's my great bargain...$6.88 for a 6" pot...I just love orange blooms!!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Love it!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purple, some Ebay sellers sell un-rooted TC cuttings over 100.00. lol
    I noticed plant prices on ebay increased the last year, but the prices they want for TC's is absurd.

Nancy, is changing color a natural process? Ex, like Brunfelsia, 'Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow's' blooms starting out purple, then pink, then white. Not sure colors in the correct order.
    Or is it a matter of more sun compared to other TC's?

Lucky you...Is it true orange?? Wow! Okay, I now want orange or tangerine, whatever they coin the color. lol.

That's a fantastic deal, especially for a 6"er.
    Local stores want 4.99 for a 4-inch pot.

Thank you. I placed the TC in the same window it's been living the last couple years..crossing my fingers.

Julianna..Did you see the 400.00 plant on Ebay? As long as people are willing to spend so much money, sellers will keep up'ing prices.
    I also believe some people enjoy bidding/gambling. lol. I honestly think they don't care about the plant/product...to some winning is important.

Nancy...Beautiful!!! You lucked out with that guy..

BTW, how's your yellow's doing? Are they still officially yellow?

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Toni-- it was on eBay. I was pretty surprised-- as I just wouldn't spend that. Ever. It didn't even seem particularly special, which is why I was the most surprised.

10 years ago

It didn't sink at first, then I had to retrieve myself from being blown away. I was halfway down the street.

You guys are calling the differently colored leaves variegated? I do see the difference between that & 'normal' leaves developing colorful hues from abundant light... and they are exceptionally pretty, daggone near as pretty as flowers, but not $92's worth! (Lil' pots of ordinary $3 TC's reported nationwide currently @ many WMs.)

If people are ready to open their wallets that wide, who wants to go into business with me? We can use my back yard for a greenhouse, no prob! Just need a couple hundred starts, a truckload'o'dirt, and a whole lot of plastic rolls. Giggity!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I don't refer to them as variegated. That's just an interesting color to the foliage to me :) But lol, you know I am trying to root a few cuttings of my "Apricot" once I saw how high it went for on eBay :P

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Here is the one I was thinking of:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0amp;_from=R40&_udlo=400&_udhi=&_nkw=schlumbergera&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

It's nice, but to me not $400 nice. Maybe if I had that money laying around, i might... :)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, my yellow one bloomed true yellow last year...this year its having issues its in "ICU" in intensive care...the leaves are looking wrinkly, thin like it might have root rot but I don't want to mess with it right now because it has buds. I want to see "if" the buds will mature so I want to start messing with the roots. But its fine because I bought an unknown color TC last week a 4" pot for $2.92 with small buds and the buds are getting larger and it looks like its going to be Yellow...so I have a replacement if mine "croaks",lol...of course next year I'll have to give it the 68 degrees or warmer routine while the buds are forming to get the best yellow...this year it will be much lighter since the buds were already set when I bought it.

This was taken from my Yellow one last year...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, I meant to ask you if you still have your orange TC that we bought from the same seller on Ebay a few years ago, mine died several months later that's why I was so happy to find that one at WM this year.