Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Cordyline fruticosa & Dracaena surculosa flower buds

These exciting developments are happening in the same pot, these 2 plants share a pot.

Cordyline fruticosa (Ti plant):
{{gwi:111598}}

{{gwi:111599}}

{{gwi:111600}}

Dracaena surculosa (formerly D. godseffiana) 'Florida Beauty':
{{gwi:111601}}

I guess it's their season? Is anyone else's Cordy or Drac doing this? I've had both of these plants for almost 2 years.

Comments (18)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purple, amazing. I didn't know Cordy's or for that matter, D. surculosas bloomed.
    Very nice..

Are Drac flowers fragrant, like their 'Corn Plant' cousins??

I no longer have a Ti..My D surculosa is just hanging on. Rarely grows, let alone flower.

Red Ti's are beautiful..Love the color.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

IDK, but will report here when they open. Guess they're not bothering each other, sharing a pot, huh? Forgot to say above, this pot is on a table on the north wall of south-facing porch, so no direct sun until recently, very early AM and late PM. It was Lamora's pretty Drac that inspired me to move mine back from more light, before it was added to Cordy pot, so it's been in the lowest light I have on the front porch for a while. (Hope she's having fun on the road with her DH!)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purp, if you read this thread...What's the name of the mystery plant book?
    Just so you know, I asked in another thread.

I didn't know they were potted together..had to scroll up..sure enough, you can see they're neighbors in the third photo.

Funny...my Drac was in less light...last spring, after repotting, I placed in a brigher area. lol
    Inside..Dracs no longer go out because of spiders/ants.

I didn't know Margie and her dh were on the road..

Wish them well and lots of fun. Margie, if you happen to read this thread, have a safe, happy trip.

Thanks Purp.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what it looks like today. The Drac bud doesn't look different yet at all.

Toni, did you get your answer about mystery plant book?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purp, the flower got large. Very pretty.

No Purp..I didn't see the mystery book name..
    What is it? lol

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

I had a dracaena surculosa with flowers last summer. They were fragrant too.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, I'm not sure what you're asking, unless it's "Hothouse Flower and the Nine Plants of Desire?"

Yeah, that spike is spreading out, looks like it has sections. Leaving in the morning to visit family in Raleigh. Will put a new pic of what it looks like Tuesday. I didn't know it was going to progress so fast, but just noticed it last weekend and I look at this plant often, so it makes sense that it's moving quickly. Hope none of the flowers open until I get back!

Pel - that's way cool to hear. I can't wait to smell that! Never sniffed any kind of Drac bloom before. I'll put up a scratch'n'sniff pic when the flowers open.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

All my Dracaena flower in the winter, and the fragrance is overwhelming. The Sansevieria goes at about the same time and has a relatively similar fragrance. But then my D. surculosa fruits madly, seeds prolifically and becomes a bit invasive. It's manageable, but needs to be controlled.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tropic, your yard rocks! Invasive Dracaena, go figure! Inspirational though, thanks. I've smelled Sans blooms twice, Awesome! So the comparison makes me even more excited to smell those flowers. I've never been overwhelmed by the fragrance of any plant, except Privet, since moving to the south. Oh, and those darn narcissus that seem to smell good outside but stink up the house overwhelmingly if cut & put in a vase.

Why don't people in climates like yours sell these kinds of seeds (any 'house plant' possible to grow from seeds) to those of us who don't have access to them? I would have a blast sprouting Drac seeds, and would definitely pay for some. I've gotten packs of cactus seeds & scattered them in "sun pots" before but have never had any sprouts. Those are the only house plant seeds I've seen over the years.

If you'd care to enlighten/entertain us with some pics at any time, I'm sure everyone would enjoy them very much. Sure, we could google some, but we wouldn't be able to babble compliments & questions to the photographer, or be sure what we were seeing.

My trip got cancelled, but *we* won't miss any blooms, if they are going to open in the next few days.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Purp, I've got a number of different Dracaenas but the flowering and fragrance is fairly similar. This is the surculosa, a mottled form. The one with the extreme colours/blots is still small and hasn't flowered yet. It produces a lot of fruit and volunteer plants.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

This is the "sword-leaf" one, it flowers regularly and sets seed. Haven't tried sprouting them but they don't seem to volunteer much.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

A plain green one, forgotten its name. Regularly sets seed but haven't found any volunteers.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

A variegated one, also sets seed but no volunteers that I've noticed.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

This is a fruit from last winters flowering of the plain green one. Most of them have been either taken by birds or just fallen.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

And fruit from the variegated one. So most of the flowering was from May to July, our winter, with only very few fruits left in November, our late spring.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tropic! As usual, your pics don't disappoint. I was scrolling through them with gape-mouthed awe. You must have LOL'd when you saw my little puny buds. Hahaha! How awesome to have the real thing to compare.

(P.S. Shhh! DH doesn't know it, but I said we should watch Apocalypse Now last night to get another look at the jungle plants in natural habitat.)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Purple, how was your trip?

Did buds open while you were gone, or did they wait until you returned? :)

Tropic, WOW!

Even your Dracaenas are amazing!
    Are they outdoors? I can't tell for sure.

I bet the area is very fragrant.

I love the variegated Drac..It looks familiar but I can't think of the name. Do you know its species/cultivar?

Wait, it reminds me of D. sanderiana 'Ribbon Plant.' Sanderiana is also used in aquariums.

Sanderiana at maturity grows tall with trunk. Toni