Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

Hirts graden..

tifflj
11 years ago

Has anyone purchased from here before? They have Thanksgiving cactus in the yellow/pink/peach colors that I have been looking for.

Comments (19)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tiff, oh yes..Hirt's is one of my favorite nurseries.

They have their own site, also sell on Ebay and Amazon.

I usually order Hirt's plants through Ebay because they combine shipping. 'Don't know if combined shipping is done on Amazon or their site.'

Two or Three of my TC's came from Hirt's..they send healthy, good-sized, pest-free plants.

TC..What a huge selection...a rainbow of colors!

If space wasn't such a problem, there's a couple TC, 'colors I don't have,' I'd like to order from Hirt's.

Plants are well-packaged and shipping super fast.

Toni

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

I have purchased several plants from Hirt's, always healthy plants. My last order with them was for the Bonnie curly spider. It was jam packed with large well rooted plants. I usually order through their site,shipping is many $$ less than ebay. And they combine shipping.
    I've never had a problem.
    I've been eyeing the magenta TC!
    But DH has been eyeing me!!

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I've gotten a rosary vine and euphorbia obesa from Hirt's, they sent me nice healthy plants, and they're still alive today. But I have heard they sometimes have mealy bugs on their plants (actually this a risk no matter where you get a plant), so if you order from them, check the plants really well when you first open the package. 've been eyeing their variegated hindu rope, but I havent done it yet, I keep hoping I'll find one locally.

Does Hirt's have TC in colors that nobody else have? I've been seeing them EVERYWHERE this time of year, I really want a white one (my one from last year, a fushia colored one didn't rebloom for me this year). but I just dont know if I have the room for it....what am I talking about?? of course I do!!! LOL

-FPT

• deadheadri
    11 years ago

Ahem. That might be the one I owe you?

Charlie

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dearest Charlie. You dont owe me anything at all. It is me who owes for you finding me and bringing me here.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I don't order plants from them but do buy ladybugs and I have no complaints.

• akebono
    11 years ago

I saw a Sans I had to have at the Sans forum, 'Whitney' and immediately ordered one and a few others from Hirt's. Very fast delivery, and the 'Whitney' Sans was superb. However, the others were about as awful as I have seen in 30 years of plant ordering. Truly awful puny things with rotted leaf bases and not even close to the varieties--and in one case, size--I ordered. I sent them photos of the bum plants and got replacements in short order. Some them were OK, but some replacements were just as bad as the originals. To sum up, I might order from them if I saw something unavailable elsewhere, but I am not eager to give them any more business.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Akebono,

Sorry about your bad luck with Hirts. I got lucky with the two plants I ordered, Whitney and Gold Flame. Which varieties had problems?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Akebonia. I too am curious which plants you received from Hirt's that were in bad condition.
    Were they in or outdoor plants?

Karyn. I ordered ladybugs three times, from Hirt's. Frisky little boys and girls, right?? lol.
    I don't care for the netting..a couple LB's get stuck where netting needs to be cut.
    Thankfully, I do not fear LB's, like spiders..Those little gals and guys were walking all over my hands and arms..lol.

FPT..Hirt's has basic TC colors, 'unlike Thors, etc,' but all are healthy and full. They have white TC's at the time. lol..Toni

• akebono
    11 years ago

To bmock and Toni: I also got the 'Whitney' and 'Gold Flame' sans, and while the 'Whitney' was fine, the first send of 6-inch 'GF' was a 3-inch pot of basic 'Laurentii'--wrong plant and size, and looked like a Lowe's mercy discount plant. Both sends of 'Black Gold' were also 3-inch pots of basic 'Laurentii' and I was so disgusted by the failure of even the second send to send me what I ordered--and paid for--that I've just let it go as is. The second send of 'GF' is OK, but other than what I've already said, the quality was well below anything I've ordered in over 30 years of buying mail order plant. If they could not get it right by the second attempt, they lost me forever.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Akebono. I Googled S. Whitney..Wow, that's one gorgeous Sans.
    Did S. Whitney from Hirt's look like the picture on the Sanseviervia forum posted by Stush?

Did you email Hirt's? Are you saying they made you pay for a second plant even though the first was the wrong Sans? Their fault!
    Did you leave feedback?

If a nursery sends an incorrect, bug-infested or dying plant, write/call the nursery first, try resolving the problem. If that doesn't work tell them you will leave Negative feedback. This announcement usually changes their minds.
    If a purchase is made through Ebay or Amazon, you can leave feedback on either/or site plus Gardenwatchdog.

I've never ordered Sans from Hirt's, but have purchased other succulents, tropicals and ladybugs. I can't recall ever getting a plant other than the one I ordered or dead.

Not making excuses for Hirt's, but since they sell through Ebay, Amazon, and possibly their own site, they've acquired a vast amout of customers. Possibly the reason the wrong Sans was sent. But, they should fix the error.

• akebono
    11 years ago

Toni, I did email Hirt's, within minutes of unpacking the box (causing me to use cap lock for some of it!) and sent them the photos they requested in their reply. I had ordered directly from their website. Their replies were blunt, to say the least. I did not pay anything for the replacements or the postage required to send them, so there's that at least. Nonetheless, sending the wrong plant/size not once but twice, and sending some very sad little plants to begin with (other than 'Whitney' and the second 'Gold Flame') is beyond my pardoning. Once I unpacked the second parcel, and saw more or less the same sad state of affairs, I was done with them.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

STush,
    You are cordially invited to tonight's PA meeting here on GW. 6pm, channel, HOUSE PLANTS. :)

Sorry, I thought S. Whitney was yours.
    I found the pic on Google which led me to GW, San's Forum. Then I saw the Sans photo on a post with your name..I was so excited I didn't read the thread..assumed the Sans was yours. Sorry, about that..but it's one gorgeous Sans. One I'd like to add come spring. Toni

• barbmock
    11 years ago

No, the Whitney and Goldflame are mine. I wouldn't buy anymore from Hirts though, not after hearing about their customer service.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Akebono...Guess we were typing the same time yesterday afternoon.

I'm sorry Hirt's sent the wrong plant. I'd be upset too.
    Also, they have NO reason being rude. That's uncalled for.

I don't like leaving negative feedback, but if customer service was rude to me, I would.

I do quite a bit of online ordering, and read comments made by buyers on Gardenwatchdog.com. You'd be surprised how many sellers/customer service employees are rude.
    It's worse when certain nurseries take the money, but don't send plants ordered..

After seeing S. Whitney on the Sansevieria forum, I ordered one last night. Don't think there were size options. One size, 4" pot.
    After hearing your story, I pray they send the correct plant.
    I rarely order Sans, but every so often, if I see one I like, it's mine..lol.

Bmock..The S.Whitney on Sans forum is yours? I only looked at the picture, didn't read posts..Was it purchased at Hirt's?

I never had problems w/Hirt's..So far, every plant I received was healthy, pest-free and good-size.
    One plant, Gold Fish, isn't the best..it came in a hanging basket, which I hadn't repotted. Maybe it's my fault. It's never bloomed, and grows slow. But, I'm taking the blame since it's still in the same hanging basket.

Otherwise, no problems. I've never phoned or emailed Hirt's with a complaint, so can't comment on their customer service. Toni

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Toni,

Yes, The Whitney and Gold Flame were from Hirts.. They were in 6 inch pots, nicely packed and were shipped quickly. They were 14.99 each. They are both beautiful plants. I hope you have good luck with them too.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Toni,

Yes, The Whitney and Gold Flame were from Hirts.. They were in 6 inch pots, nicely packed and were shipped quickly. They were 14.99 each. They are both beautiful plants. I hope you have good luck with them too.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Toni,

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz