Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peajay_gw

Watering Huge Ficus Benjamina

peajay
9 years ago

We recently purchased a 10 ft. Tall Ficus in a 30 gallon nursery tub. It had been growing in a courtyard covered with shade cloth. It had roots into the soil which had to be cut before it was delivered. It is now in our atrium and the bottom of the pot is covered so drain holes cannot be seen. The tree has been in its new location a month and continues to drop leaves. (It has new leaves but the interval between new leaves has increased significantly. We are worried that we may not be watering correctly. What advice do you have regarding watering when the drain holes are not visible?

Comments (5)

• pelargonium_gw
    9 years ago

I have no experience with ficus outdoors, as I live in North Norway, but I have grown them indoors. My comments are as follows: The tree is losing leaves. Possible causes: 1. The tree has been moved. 2. Some roots have been cut. 3. It is fall. All these things may be reasons leaves are shedding, and new growth is slow. I would give it some time, hopefully things will be better in spring.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Does the picture illustrate where the tree WAS, or where it is now?

The tree is shedding foliage as a drought response, but that doesn't necessarily mean that watering more is any sort of solution. A tree with the foliage mass as large as that in the picture needs a larger root system than even a skilled gardener who knows how to root prune can pack into 30 gallons, and if the previous owner is any sort of grower, he/she KNEW that before the tree was sold and should have done what is necessary to ensure what you're about to endure wouldn't happen.

If you keep the tree, you have 2 options. You can keep the soil damp but not wet and let nature take its course (the plant absorbs water most efficiently when the soil is barely damp. The urge to water when the plant is suffering from drought is strong, but remember that over-watering increases the severity of a drought response - doesn't alleviate it. As nature takes its course, the tree will shed leaves and branches until it reaches the point that the root system CAN support the canopy. The reason this is happening is because the plant's main lifeline (the roots that were in the soil) has been severed. The problem with allowing the tree to have control over which branches are shed is in the fact that the tree will shed the branches doing it the least amount of good, which are probably going to be important to the plant's appearance.

The other option is for you or someone who understands pruning and structure to remove enough of the canopy that the roots are able to support what remains. That would be my choice because I get to decide what the tree looks like if I have to remove half of the branches.

One way or another, the tree is going to balance the root to shoot ratio. Either you take control or let the tree have control.

If the pot is partially buried in soil, and the soil the pot is in allows free drainage into the earth, it's almost impossible to over-water - unless the soil the pot is in is very coarse. I'll emphasize again that if you bought the tree from a pro grower, there was an obligation to explain to you what I just did, or to prune the canopy appropriately before you took delivery of the plant.

Al

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Yes, top is having problems because roots in ground were cut off. But cutting away part of the top will just leave it with fewer food making leaves to help it replace the lost roots - double amputation never results in a stronger plant. All you can do is water and hope it pulls through, unless some pretty strong sun is hitting the top through the atrium cover - in which case it might help to put shade cloth over the tree until it stops struggling.

Need much larger pot for tree this size, also I would think you would want some kind of decorative one instead of the black nursery container.

Tree does not look weepy enough to be a Ficus benjamina, which by the way like many other tropical species of figs grows much larger than this - it is far from a "huge" example, whichever species it is. If yours makes it you will have to snip at it eventually to keep it within the space.

Snip at both the top and the roots. Your new tree is not a statue, if you are unable to take it out of the pot periodically to trim the roots, add fresh potting soil or put it in a bigger pot (as should be done now) then some day the time will come when it starts to deteriorate.

This post was edited by bboy on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 14:27

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

.... cutting away part of the top will just leave it with fewer food making leaves to help it replace the lost roots - double amputation never results in a stronger plant.

What you said is true within reason, but the plant is in the process of SHEDDING a fraction of the top already, and there is no way to know how many branches will die before the tree reaches a root:shoot ratio that doesn't require the plant to shed more parts. Pruning the top is simply taking control over what parts will be shed.

Plants ALWAYS 'listen' to the chemical messengers that help them balance roots to shoots. The plant won't grow more canopy than the roots can support, OR more roots than the canopy can feed. You can't simply repeat what is today's conventional advice for a repot from a nursery pot to the ground for all applications - you have to be able to assess the situation and resolve the problem within what is physiologically realistic. What is realistic when you separate a plant in leaf from what is probably it's primary source of water and nutrients is, it's going to indiscriminately (at least seemingly so to the grower) shed top growth until it reaches a stage where the roots can support what's left - unless the grower takes control and does the balancing himself.

You simply can't remove roots from a tree in leaf and expect the tree not to react.

You can't go from this
    {{gwi:55262}}

to this
    {{gwi:4847}}

without going from this
    {{gwi:80442}}

to this
    {{gwi:6990}}

unless you are willing to accept what's left after the branches die back.

Yes, the leaves make the food that drives root growth, but the tree can't retain leaves and branches it can't support with water and nutrients. Mother Nature demands balance, and one way or another she'll have it - no matter if by her hand or the growers, balance will be the end product.

Al

This post was edited by tapla on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 22:14

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Need more info. What zone are you in? Where does this plant live? What are the conditions you are trying to grow it in? ? Light, temps, etc. How long ago did you get this plant?

Jane

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling