Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianjj

Rootbound Umbrella plant - I repotted it and now it may be dead?

CanadianJJ
9 years ago

I adopted an unwanted Umbrella plant about 7 years ago. It's always been very leggy (Y-shaped, about 3ft tall), and as a novice gardener, I left it as is and let it do it's thing. (I did manage to treat/cure a fungal growth 3 years ago, so i'm not doing too badly) In the last couple years, it's grown some new branches near the base. I moved house this past spring, and all the leaves started going quite wilty. As I've started learning more about plants, I thought I'd investigate. As it turns out, it was VERY rootbound -- as in the roots had broken through the plastic pot and roots have completely enveloped the plastic. Not knowing what to do, and having heard (sorry! i know i should have researched this) in these cases, just plant the entire root system + embedded pot into new soil. Soon afterwards, the leaves started going brown. it's pretty much all brown now and I suspect it's dying/dead. Is there any way I can save my poor plant at this point? and/or find out if it's still alive? Also, what should i have done differently? i'm also aware it's november now, however, i'm in england, so it's not bitterly cold yet -- and i've always kept it indoors. Please help/advise. thanks!

Comments (2)