Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gravyboots

Would you do it? pro/con free plant Situation

gravyboots
13 years ago

Hello again!

I'm looking for opinions on this:

Would you take some really nice looking free plants that have recently had a known fungus gnat problem?

I have a work-study job on the grounds crew at my college & they had a very bad fungus gnat problem in the green house this year. Most everything is out of it (I gather that after we've dealt with all the leaves outside, we will be disinfecting in there), except a few random tropical houseplants which I was strongly encouraged (with NO wheedling on my part!) to remove.

The plants in question are a 2' tall aloe w/ many, many pups, a 5' tall dracena (marginata or similar type, not a corn plant), some sort of large schlumbarga & a few unknown tropical cacti (I seem to remember my Grandma calling something similar a "shrimp" plant). Everyone looks fine & I wouldn't mind moving them in!

BUT! The fungus gnats. If I did a root clean, pot scrub & switched to a gritty mix, d'ya think I could safely bring these guys home & not start a gnat problem at my house? Would the transition be best done in the contaminated greenhouse or on my porch in the cold?

Would YOU do it?

Comments (7)