Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you do it? pro/con free plant Situation

Posted by gravyboots 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 12:29

Hello again!

I'm looking for opinions on this:
Would you take some really nice looking free plants that have recently had a known fungus gnat problem?

I have a work-study job on the grounds crew at my college & they had a very bad fungus gnat problem in the green house this year. Most everything is out of it (I gather that after we've dealt with all the leaves outside, we will be disinfecting in there), except a few random tropical houseplants which I was strongly encouraged (with NO wheedling on my part!) to remove.

The plants in question are a 2' tall aloe w/ many, many pups, a 5' tall dracena (marginata or similar type, not a corn plant), some sort of large schlumbarga & a few unknown tropical cacti (I seem to remember my Grandma calling something similar a "shrimp" plant). Everyone looks fine & I wouldn't mind moving them in!

BUT! The fungus gnats. If I did a root clean, pot scrub & switched to a gritty mix, d'ya think I could safely bring these guys home & not start a gnat problem at my house? Would the transition be best done in the contaminated greenhouse or on my porch in the cold?

Would YOU do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you do it? pro/con free plant Situation

I would do it. Fungus gnats survive in the moist soil, so if the soil is no longer moist, no more gnats. There are many treatments on the market that you can keep on hand, just in case you see the beginnings of a reinfestation. The aloe shouldn't be kept in moist soil, anyway, as I'm sure you know, so that plant should be ok.

Nancy

o

Fungus gnats are a result of bad growing practices. clean them up and replant in your growing medium of choice and follow healthy watering schedule and they should be fine.

o

Go for it! Care for them properly in a well draining mix, and fungus gnats will not be an issue!

Christopher

o

Fungus gnats by themselves are fairly harmless anyway. As others have said they're mostly a symptom of having bad soil conditions and too much moisture.

o

I would take them.. If the plants had Mealy Bug, I'd pass it/them up, but if cleaned and cared for properly, there's no reason FG's should reappear. Toni

o

Ditto as to what everyone else has said, including the fact the gnats are mainly annoying. Btw, a drench of Bt will generally wipe them out if they continue to be an issue.

o

Just the responses I was hoping for - thanks!

I'll get those guys cleaned up & traveling to new homes :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here