Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asleep_in_the_garden

This comes as a relief...

Just before taking my philo bip pairing back inside,I wasn't looking at what I was doing and with a left turn of my arm,I snapped the tender new leaf point that had just started emerging days before.

Now that it's been inside for a while,it looks like it's going to give it another go from within the remaining half of the former leaf's petiole.

Sorry about the quality of the pic...it was a hard shot to get and I had to stand on stuff so...yeah. lol

Comments (6)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

They're fairly resilient and come back easily. I had a palm frond fall on my Sword-leaf Philo and snapped the top. It was still hanging by a bit of "skin". Now it's healed over and growing as though nothing had happened. Apart from the stem making a sharp right angle turn that is.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just so I'm understanding...we're talking about "philodendron hastatum" here,right?

Also,..you wouldn't happen to have snapped a pic of the "right turn" just for the novelty of it,would you?

I'd be curious to see that.

Also,thanks for responding...I know it's not much of a post. lol

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Go, leaf, go! Glad it's recovering from unauthorized surgery!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL THANKS Purp!
    I'm picturing you with pom poms. :D

Thing I'm noticing is that compared to a new leaf that manages to avoid my clumsiness,this one sure is slow in emerging. For a while there,I kind of wondered if the growth point was a goner and that rather than do what it's doing,it would start back-budding instead. Even if that wouldn't really be SO bad,I'm pretty happy that it's going to stay on track with the original leader.

This isn't the first time I'd lost a leader either. When I take it(formerly "them" before the pairing)inside for winter,it gets placed somewhere high enough to walk under...otherwise there wouldn't be room enough for it inside. The downside to this practice is that when new leaves come on,their progress needs to be monitored...'cuz if you don't keep an eye on them,they can touch the ceiling and as the petiole continues lengthening it bends and bend until one morning you wake up to a pop noise when it breaks under the tension.

So in other words...this has happened before and I just didn't see it...which strikes me as kinda strange. You'd think I'd have noticed something like that!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

This reminds me too, somewhere you'd asked, about the new leaf and flower on my Philo 'Black Cardinal' if what I'd cut was a cataphyll from a leaf or from the flower. Got ready to answer but couldn't find the question, so... the flower didn't have a cataphyll around it. The cataphyll I'd cut to show the flower was from the newest leaf. This pic should explain where it was/is? It was so big, and not apparent what it was in the close-up pics.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now there's a pic that leaves no doubt about whether or not we were dealing with a leaf or an inflorescence!

Took a quick peek over at your thread in the aroids forum and I read about how the spadix in your first one is browning on you. Sorry to hear that. I know that this is hardly the time of year where we should expect you to be able to accommodate the plant's needs for reproduction,but I guess we were holding out for a miracle,yaknow?

Great growing regardless!
    Such a beautiful plant! :)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH