Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbrennan_gw

Unknown Pest on Fern

bbrennan
9 years ago

I just found small black insects all over my fern this morning, and I've been unsuccessful at identifying them. I haven't been paying much attention to the fern, and I've also noticed some mealybug infestation. But I'm very curious as to what these tiny black pests are. Previously when I glanced at the plant, I had thought they were residue from the spores, but now I notice they are not just on the bottom of leaves, but also on the top.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (5)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Your pic didn't make it, sorry.

I can't tell from your description if you might be describing aphids or fungus gnats (which fly.) One other thought is that you might have a caterpillar leaving poo on your plant. If you can't decide by doing an image search for these things, try again with a pic. You can edit your original post to upload it again, so it will be at the top of the discussion.

P.S. I've had this happen to one of my images before. The cause was that I previewed the image, than spent a longer than normal time editing afterward, walking away from the keyboard to do laundry or something. I think the pic may only be stored for about 10-15 minutes before being discarded if not submitted (or re-previewed.)

• bbrennan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply. I've tried to upload the photo again. I could not get a close up, so if the photo does not help, let me continue with a description. They are very tiny and it is hard to see the structure of their body, although I expect they are not poo as I picked one up on the edge of a piece of paper and it moved its legs. They do not fly and are not very mobile. They do not seem to be fungus gnats. I was expecting aphids to be green, but maybe "black bean aphids"? Thanks for your help!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Aphids come in many colors - green, white, brown, red, orange, black. Depends on the species ;-)) And there are several species that are black.

Can't confirm it is an aphid without seeing but even if it is, it is unlikely to bother the fern. Might be more of an issue with any other indoor plants you have. Fern insect problems tend to be limited to mostly scale or mealybugs.

I would wash off the plant thoroughly at the kitchen sink. This should get rid of any aphids - if that's what they are - and the fern will appreciate the shower. While you are giving it the shower, check under all the fronds carefully and on the soil surface to make sure you dislodge and remove any creatures that may be hiding out.

• Dzitmoidonc
    9 years ago

Aphids do come in a rainbow of colors and can match any decor, but they rarely fly. If the pests are flying, they could be the male mealies or scale (close relatives of each other). Only the females never fly. Small black flies could be a description of males. They fly and mate. Then die. The females take up residence, then go through several stages where they can lose their legs until they resemble the scale or the mealies we are all too familiar with. Some mealies have legs, some are completely immobile. Get rid of the females, the males won't be around either.

• pelargonium_gw
    9 years ago

If the pests are really tiny, it could be thrips.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz