Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyndrose_gw

Help with a snake plant

wyndrose
10 years ago

Hi I found this snake plant laying outside the lady moved two weeks ago I seen the guy dump it out of the pot but I know it got hit with a hard frost I am going to put it in a pot and cut all the mushy leaves off does anyone have an other ideas what to try or do
Frances

Comments (6)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

If it got hit w/ a hard frost it may be lost (I have no experience w/ that, but these plants don't come from cold country).

Pls. don't pot it up yet. Cut off all the mush & leave it out, lying on some newspapers to try & dry it off, the roots look soaked.

After a day, sprinkle some cinnamon on the cut edges & on the roots (it's a natural anti-fungal, helps to combat rot, tho' in this case it may be too late) & then shake it to shake off the excess.

I'd leave it out a good several days at least, then pot int in a small clay pot & whatever you do, pls. DO NOT WATER.

Then one has to sit back & wait. Sorry there aren't any magic answers, I'll wish you luck.

If the 2 green parts remaining are mushy, it's too late.

The right one looks a goner, the left one maybe has a chance if you just cut off all the top & the roots & leave ONLY the green part of the leaf, & root it as if you were rooting a leaf cutting.

Also, there is a Sans. forum nearby, you may wish to read some there to get more ideas.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Frances, did you see it get knocked out of the pot two weeks ago??

If so, I doubt that the roots are still alive. Root systems cannot tolerate being dried out.

Maybe some further details will help us understand what the situation really is.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

What kind of temps are you talking about?

IME with frost-bitten Sans leaves, the damage takes longer to manifest and I wonder if those leaves were already dead when the decision was made to not bring this plant along when moving.

Two spots of identical size that look raised could be scales and are somewhat concerning, both on the left entity, one on the still green leaf, one just to the right and a little above that (which would be below if the pic wasn't upside down.)

Have you had a chance to see what's under the rotted parts yet?

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I seen it get put on the ground about 10 minutes before I posted but we have 2 nights in the 20s and it was sitting on the porch I potted it but I didn't water it the roots were not mush they were still hard. There was one leave on each that half way down was still green and stiff so I cut there
    Sorry the first post didn't give much info my husbands heat went in the semi and I was in the middle of posting when he called
    Frances

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I hope your DH is warmed back up! That's cold for a tropical plant but if it's not mushy there's hope. All you can do now is give it some sun & wait until it's very dry to water it.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Good advise given. Remove all mushy parts. If the roots seem hard, it's ok. I had one that survived 28 degrees with no ill effects. It was kept very dry and was in the cold a short time. I bought it from Wal-Marts for 50 cents and figured what I got to lose. If it survives, you will not see a sprout until late spring.