Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

November blooms

What plants of yours are blooming this month? Let's see 'em if you have pics!

A few of my plants have promising buds, but today, I think there is only wax Begonias. My favorite is this double one.

Comments (52)

• User
    10 years ago

No indoor blooms. But this camellia will bloom a bit in the Autumn, then occasionally in the Winter with main bloom March.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pretty!! And technically, mine are all outside too, for a few more days. Man it's hard to wait for buds to open. I'm checking constantly, ridiculous! (Wishing I'd called this Nov buds.)

After thinking about this a little more, there are Tradescantia sillamontana blooms periodically (has been all summer,) but I already took pics I liked of that July 4. The occasional Tahitian bridal veil & Portulaca flower are still limping along.

• User
    10 years ago

I still have Coreopsis blooming outside if that counts. (One terrific perennial btw). Oh yes, nearly forgot, I do have two houseplants in bloom inside now--both are bromeliads (Vreisia and Achmea). Come January though, the magenta bougainvillea is in full bloom. Other than that, no flowers till Spring!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

My Award-Winning November Bloomer!!!

{{gwi:111988}}

NOT!

When cuttings break, 'depending on type,' they're tossed in larger pots, or an old aquarium growing odds and ends.
    I discovered the unknown succulent blooming last week, then snapped a pic..

Looks like Crassula, but don't know which variety.

Purple, I've never, ever seen double-flower Wax Begonia, but you can bet, if I come across one, it'll be added to my collection.

I love double flowers. Maybe I ask where you found the Begonia?
    Are its leaves light or dark green?

Nj, I love Cam's, but find them difficult keeping indoors.

Your Cam flowers are so pretty..what's their size?

Your Bromiliad flowers is gorgeous.
    Any pups yet? Toni

Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, I got it at a swap a couple months ago. The leaves are getting darker as it sits in the sun longer. It was all leaned over and almost yellow when I got it, no blooms. I couldn't understand why somebody brought it to a swap, but I do now. It's definitely coming inside! That little pot will fit on a windowsill. Your spike of buds is soooo cute!

NJ, nicely done, very pretty!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purple, there's a place you can swap plants? If so, that's really nice. Wish there was something like that hear.

There are ads in our local paper..ppl give away plants for free..all, so far are perennials/bulbs..They list an addy, then you go there and dig up what you'd like.
    Mostly Hoyas and Lily's..Ordinary plants.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

I have this euphorbia blooming non-stop every since I got it in May 2012. Blooms are not as red as outside, but there is as many.
    It really needs to be repotted and also cut down (it's really getting too tall) - I thought I'll wait until it stops blooming...so I am still waiting.

Beside that there is brugmasia in full bloom that I posted in another post.

Rina

• paul_
    10 years ago

{{gwi:111989}}

{{gwi:111990}}

{{gwi:111991}}

{{gwi:111992}}

{{gwi:111993}}

{{gwi:111994}}

{{gwi:111995}}

{{gwi:102958}}

{{gwi:111996}}

{{gwi:77836}}

{{gwi:86330}}

• User
    10 years ago

Hopeful, if you have a very cool, humid room you should be able to grow camellias in pots. I used to grow them containerized in a 'three seasons' room. Temps should be 60's and under. They don't even need good sun. The one in the above pic is a younger one. The one belong is on a five foot plant.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, I found that swap on the FL forum. The regional/state forums are where these are usually publicized/organized. I think 'great lakes' forum is probably the one that covers Chicago best/most often. They usually happen in spring or fall.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

What lovely flowers, one is prettier than the other :>)

Hopeful LOL !!!!!!!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

No pics at the moment because the camera is in the other room and I am lazy, but I have 2 AVs blooming, and 2 streptocarpellas. I have buds on my Schlumbergera truncatas :)

• Tuija
    10 years ago

Hi. My Amaryllis is blooming now. 3 flowers and more is coming soon.

• Tuija
    10 years ago

This is a nice surprise. My 9 years old C.elegans blooming again.

• elkay_gw
    10 years ago

The only thing blooming now is a TC
    {{gwi:111997}}

And a couple of Av's
    {{gwi:92488}}

• Tuija
    10 years ago

Your TC looks very lovely! I like pink colour.

• val1
    10 years ago

My Ceropegia woodii blooms almost non-stop. I love the tiny blooms.{{gwi:110478}}

I also have a couple of Thanksgiving Cactus in Bloom.{{gwi:111999}}{{gwi:112000}}

This post was edited by val1 on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 20:20

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

No open blooms yet but I have a few that I'm excited that are about to open soon. Like this slipper orchid-

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Oncidium twinkle with many spikes.

This post was edited by FlowerPotTipper on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 3:56

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Sorry these are sideways, its either thst or upside down. Here's the last one, kalanchoe mother of thousands trying to bloom indoors-

Original Author
    10 years ago

FPT, I have the same buds on 2 of those plants! Wish I was more organized in remembering who-all I sent pieces of that to over the summer. Funny thing is, both of mine were cut off at the soil line a few weeks ago and stuck in pots due to come inside. No problem for these plants, buds keep progressing. The one I was able to water more often didn't even lose any leaves. Do you have any K. blossfeldiana?

{{gwi:112001}}

Other buds are taking FOREVER to pop open so I can add pics here. Oh the suspense! They may end up being December bloomers.

Well now that these are in the house, they are technically house plants blooming in November, but not all will have enough light to be able to continue.

Tradescantia pallida:
    {{gwi:112002}}

Dragon wing Begonias, I think:
    {{gwi:112003}}

Wax Begonia:
    {{gwi:112004}}

Impatiens:
    {{gwi:112005}}

Yeah, I like pink.

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Im not sure I have a k. Blossfeldiana, I have a few small cuttings of some sort of kalanchoe, but nothing blooming to tell me for sure. The mother of thousands started budding up when it came indoors, which was a surprise, but now I'm wondering if its one of those plants that die after blooming....maybe I should start harvesting some of its babies?? I'm guessing its prolly gonna do that anyways since I've heard their babies get into everything.

I'm also thinking I'm going to have lots of December blooms too, I wish orchids didn't take so long to open their blooms, the suspence is killing me lol.

Original Author
    10 years ago

"maybe I should start harvesting some of its babies??" Do you have somewhere to put them, or were you just going to get rid of them? I took all of the babies off of mine earlier and spread them around empty areas of other succulent pots. I'll include them with trades, or release for postage in the future, when they start taking up too much room. That might be an idea for you? Trade for other stuff you don't already have?

Stapelia grandiflora popped open today. It doesn't seem to have any scent, luckily. It's stiff, but soft and fuzzy at the same time, on the 'pretty' side. To the right, another bud that should open in a day or two.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lithops flower popped open sometime in the past few hours!

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

i got sev av's blooming and begonia reiger re-blooming - first successful rebloom for me.
    paul,
    what is this strange flower - with red doughnut in the middle? never seen one like that before!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Petrushka-- are you talking about the Huernia zebrina?

• paul_
    10 years ago

LOL Yes that one is Huernia zebrina -- often called the "Lifesaver" plant because it looks like someone stuck a candy Lifesaver on the flower.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

wow! it's spectacularly alien!

• paul_
    10 years ago

FPT, no the Kal won't die after flowering -- we're not that lucky. heh. Personally, I'd throw the babies outside and let winter kill them off -- the mother plant will always and continuously produce more.

Purp, personally I would NOT recommend scattering the babies in other pots -- they really are weeds. I have one MoT, and that is all I will ever allow to survive. Mine has not grown much which is to my liking. I purposely abuse/neglect it to keep it in check. (It resides in a 1" pot with quick draining nutrient poor media, lots of sun but not lots of water -- the latter yet another limiting growth factor -- and any summer offspring either fall and fry on my blistering balcony or drift down to the grass lawn far below.)

Original Author
    10 years ago

TY, Paul, I appreciate that, but I like them & I can't grow babies as fast as other people want them.

The bigger ones are towering over other plants in multi-pots. The thing in the clay pot is surrounded by babies at the bottom.
    {{gwi:112006}}

{{gwi:112007}}

I'm impatient & cheated, bought a couple TC's with flowers open NOW. Buds on plants I already had are not ready yet.
    {{gwi:112008}}

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

So my slipper orchid is ALMOST completly open, its very exciting because its the first slipper rebloom I've had (in other words, not bought already in bud or bloomed) and its awesome to know that I CAN get them to rebloom, which is a big thing to me. Here's a pic I took just a few seconds ago.

Original Author
    10 years ago

That's way cool!! It's so understated, elegant. Does it have any scent?

FINALLY, well over a year after getting these plants, 1st TC bloom *almost* open. She's a red one.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 9:50

Original Author
    10 years ago

All the way open now. I think that'll be it for Nov blooms for my plants. None of the unopened buds (except maybe other TC colors) look like they'll pop within the next week. Anything else popping out there?

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I need to post my photos. I took some for this thread! I have a few AVs, streptocarpella, and TCs now!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Some blooms! AVs...

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

This is a new one for me. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Sorry for the blur-- camera batteries died and it didn't focus. Also, I seem to be out of new batteries lol.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Last AV currently blooming...

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

And finally.. for the moment... TC cactus. I have some other things blooming but no batteries, no proof lol.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Smashing!

This Cordyline fruticosa bud stalk has a flower open finally. Not much more exciting than Coleus flowers, but pretty darn cheery on a cold gloomy day like this. The stalk didn't look any different yesterday, but I guess it was almost ready.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Exciting, Purple!

Oh quick question-- remember the Hatiora easter cactus you traded to me? it was red, right?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes! One of the slowest-growing plants I have. Are you asking because it has a bud?

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

It figures! I think your piece has put on a few phylloclades for me :)

It doesn't have any buds though. I was just curious!

Original Author
    10 years ago

That's good to hear especially since I know I sent pretty small pieces! I've started a couple cuttings too to see if the old mama roots are just tired or if the cuttings are so slow too. If memory serves, I don't think I've ever been able to get the hard peat ball off of the roots though they grew past that. Could still be a bottleneck in circulation there, IDK. If the cuttings start growing much faster than the mama, maybe I'll turn the whole thing into cuttings & kind of start over.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Yeah, that could be the problem.

I think, though, it's supposed to be a bit of a slower grower naturally. It also shatters more easily than Schlums do-- something I am hoping never happens lol.

Original Author
    10 years ago

She-do-be, shattered, shattered? Noooo!

OK these plants are making a liar out of me. Found a few more flowers, albeit sedate ones.

This parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) is really early.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Peperomia clusifolia 'Jellie.'

Original Author
    10 years ago

Dracaena surculosa. I can't detect any scent from it, but forgot to sniff after it got dark, noticed it yesterday afternoon.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Nice! I once had a Dracaena fragrans bloom in the house and it was crazy strong! I loved it though.