Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Ponytail Palm

Posted by Jenny3721 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 12:58

I inherited this plant in my office and think it's a ponytail palm but Im actually not sure. I have noticed that the person before me must have trimmed off the brown parts of the lower leaves so the lower section is a bit stumpy. Not sure if that is the best thing to do for the browning leaves. I have noticed in the last couple months that there does seem to be some new growth out of the top. It seems healthy but any advice on the best way to care for this plant would be greatly appreciated. It gets some light through the window in the morning and early afternoon and I probably water it once a week. Not sure if that good but it doesn't seem to be water logged or too dry. Thanks in advance for any help you can pass my way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Ponytail Palm

Can you get a closer pic of the trunk? Looks like a ponytail but from this angle the caudex looks too skinny.

o

Hope this helps.

o

Have you had it unpotted it all? I wonder if the 'fat' part is buried? It could be something else, but I don't know what.

o

Its been in the same pot since Ive had it, which is about 8 months. The bulb is buried, I can try and send a better pic soon.

If it is a Ponytail Palm any advice?

o

Its been in the same pot since Ive had it, which is about 8 months. The bulb is buried, I can try and send a better pic soon.

If it is a Ponytail Palm any advice?

o

I'm pretty sure you should unbury what looks like a bulb. It's the trunk of the tree. They're usually planted like this.

o

Jenny, I too think your plant is a Ponytail Palm, too, but soil is covering its thick trunk.

Your PT is very nice-looking...

Are leaf edges prickly? They look pretty wide which means and healthy which means you're caring for PT the right way.

The only change I'd make it potting so the bulb sticks out like Purple's plant.
The trunk/bulb is one of Beaucarnea's attributes.

Purple, nice-looking bulbs...what size is the pot?
Reason I'm asking is, I have one PT with 3-heads..it's been in the same, tiny container for years.
I only bought another PT because of the heads. It was different. Novel.

Toni

o

Toni, got that little pot at WM a few months ago. It has since been repotted.

o

Hey Purp, you got weed growing in the pot.

o

Toni, that's artillery fern. That's why I chose that pot, 2-for-one.

o

Purple:

When Toni said you had 'weed' growing in the pot, had to look at your photo again, just to be sure.

Christopher

o

Yeah, that's a fun pun, "weed in the pot."

When I repotted, I separated 1 (of 4) individuals to put by itself, put the other 3 still in a clump in a 'mini garden.' The individual one has sun shining on it all day. The mini garden has sun hitting it all afternoon. The leaves on these plants are a little more upright than Jenny's plant. From that I might say Jenny's plant could use a little more sun, if possible.

It's normal for the older leaves to be discarded. That's part of how the trunk forms. Trimming any brown tips so they look more like a point instead of straight across is more attractive, to my eye, but certainly not required.

o

As Toni said, the best attribute of this plant is the fat caudex, though the leaves are nice also, I would just bring the plant up higher in the pot. All the pale new growth does make it appear that Jenny's plant needs more light.

Here is mine, there are 8 plants in the pot, I think. Have been too lazy to repot.

Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here