Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remove one dead trunk in braided Pachira Aquatica (money tree)?

Posted by lynnism (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 13:24

Most of the Pachira Aquatica threads all say if you have dead trunks, you can remove them by repotting. But my question is, would it be a problem if I just leave it as it is?

The one dead trunk is in the middle of the braid and it is now winter here in Boston, so even if I wanted to repot the plant, now's not really a good time right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remove one dead trunk in braided Pachira Aquatica (money tree

The rotten trunk will spread rot to the rest of the roots.
I've seen it happen a dozen times. Usually, you end up with
a single living trunk.

Indirectly, the dead trunk becomes mushy organic material in your container,
and it that holds excessive moisture...which leads to rot.

I'd remove the trunk, at least, immediately.

Next question: What kind of soil and what sort of container is it in?

Josh

o

I have one with a dead, inner trunk and the plant has been fine for years. It died a few years ago and I never removed it because it was in the middle of the braid. I suppose the correct thing would have been to remove it, but I didn't notice it and it was dried out. Never rotted or affected the plant.

This plant has been growing in bagged mix for its entire life and is fine. The second photo was taken outside when the tree got quite sunburned but you can see the braid. It recovered as is seen in the first photo taken later.

Jane

PhotobucketPhotobucket

o

There's an image missing.

Josh

o
A useful link

Lynnism,
I thought the attached Thread might be a good read.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick looking braided Money Tree

o

Sorry, I changed to the different version of Photobucket and haven't got the settings straightened out yet.

June (before repotting and pruning)
Photobucket
Photobucket
October

I always take a look at that trunk when repotting and it has dried up and shows no sign of rot. I would cut it out if it showed any sign of disease. It died many years ago.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here