Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No ID...any idea?

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 13:30

While watering and cleaning leaves, I found this, whatever it may be, on the floor.

Anyone know it's ID? If so, how to root?

noid

noid

Thanks, Toni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No ID...any idea?

Doesn't that connect your ipod to your computer, or maybe headphones? ;-)

o

Its one of them new fancy eco friendly USB connectors...

o

That's a plenema. For giving sick plants an enema.

o

That looks like a Cissus tuberosum only... not.

o

um, humm,, so it just 'turned-up' huh? laying right there on the floor,,,?
no carboard boxes nearby? no UPS truck driving away,,,
no packing-peanuts laying around the vicinity?
no weird 'paper' ..oddly resembling a 'Receipt',,??
.....quite mysterious Toni ?? hehee

lmao Purple,
thats soo wrong lol

seriously, What the heck IS That??
..looks like a bulemic squash?

o

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xerantheum/2204744955/

Can't hotlink to the image, but that's a Cissus tuberosa piece. Which looks like what you have.

That still doesn't address the key problem here, namely that Cissus tuberosa pieces either grow from seeds or other Cissus tuberosas, and don't just /occur out of nowhere/.

o

something picked up in a trade with a mystery mix?

o

I love purple's answer the most LOLOLOL, that really made me laugh out loud...

I have no idea what it is (but I was thinking some kind of those weird Cissus succulents, do you even own any?), but these answers are so funny...

-FPT

o

LOL, Flora, Larry, Purple...you gals and guys are too funny. Love your replies..
A laugh to start the morning. :)

Purple, I literally dicionary.com'd plenema, of course No Results. Then I read the second part of your sentence..
No wonder Results weren't found..lol.
Which part of a plant would an enema be inserted? What happens afterwards? Does it spew seeds? :)

Amccour. I have 3 Cissus..the one w/thick trunk, C. Peruvian and C. Antarctica. The last two are out.

Thick-trunk Cissus is in a very small pot..there's no way a root could have loosened from soil unless it did a Houdini.

SS....No packages, no UPS, no peanuts..It's been a while since I've ordered new plants, besides, none resembled the 'thiny.'

It had to come from one of my plants, the problem is, which plant?

I too assumed Cissus/thick-trunk, but foliage looks nothing like the 'thing.'

SS, you too are funny..bulemic squash..lol.
What is weird paper?

I hoped someone could ID this plant or root..whatever it is, so I could 'attempt' rooting..problem is which end goes in soil?

I buried the entire piece in the soil with D. marginata...If it roots or is a root, I hope it sprouts. If not, no biggie, however I am curious.

Thanks, Toni

o

Toni, glad you were laughing! Life's too short to not crack up often.

"Which part of a plant would an enema be inserted?"
In the, um, rump, of course!

"What happens afterwards? Does it spew seeds?"
Oh, it spews alright...! Sometimes seeds, sometimes potted baby plants! And the mama plant turns completely healthy and deep green (if applicable) immediately!

I just can't get past how one of your plants grew this thing without you noticing. Didn't realize you were genuinely asking, thought you were seeing if WE knew. It does look like the link Amccour pasted. Are these tubers that the plant makes above-ground? If so, it looks like it's made to lay on the soil surface. Maybe it fell off (where you couldn't see it) while plants were being moved inside and now somehow it got moved to where you could see it.

o

Amccour..by golly, I think you've got it...they're twins..

Purple, thanks for posting Amccour's link. Don't know how you do it..

Yes, I can use a laugh. You should see the shiner I have...might start another thread about the dangers of hauling plants inside..Dh took pics last night..
Too embarrassed to leave the house, so don't know if I'll vote today.

Yes, life IS too short. We all need to smile/laugh at least once a day, if not more..Laughing is good for the soul.

Girl, you are funny...love your explanation. Too bad it doesn't apply to humans. lol.

Purple, there are times I miss a lot..For instance, I didn't see a plant in bloom. Afterwards, I find faded flowers.

One advantage of misting/fiddling w/individual plants is finding flowers or, on the reverse side, insects.

My Cissus has one trunk..Before dormancy, leaves were wrapped around a U-shaped trellis..
Is it possible the 'thing' grew between leaves? If so, that would explain this mytery.

I believe you're correct. If 'thingy' was attached to a stem, it could have dropped when plants were carried indoors.

Thanks...

o

Oooh my god. Just flipped through your Flickr account and so the black eye pics. Smacked in the face with a dolly. Reminds me of my days working as a custodian :(

o

Amccour..at first I was hesitant posting a picture, but think I'll start a thread about the dangers of hauling/workiing w/plants.

I'm embarrassed stepping out the door..lol.

o

I would NOT let that stop me from voting! If anyone asks, say someone was trying to stop you from voting but you beat the crap out of them & here you are to vote! "You should see the other guy!"

To make a link, remove the spaces in this line, the 4 spaces next to < and >:

< A HREF="http://www.pasteLinkBetweenQuoteMarks.com" >What link says on the page< /A >

A link to Gardenweb would look like this (with spaces removed):
< A HREF="http://www.gardenweb.com" >Gardenweb< /A >

And show up like this:
Gardenweb

o

Or you can use the thingie below the typing box, paste the web location in the "optional link URL" box and what you want it to say in "name of the link." No code required.

Pasting this URL: http://www.gardenweb.com
And this name: click me to go to Gardenweb main page

Here is a link that might be useful: click me to go to Gardenweb main page

o

if you you were in florida - i'd say this looks like mangrove fruit/sprout, but they do get a couple of little leaves on top eventually, not strings.
so then may be it's a giant pencil cactus - broken piece that blew in? looks very alien to me. can we get a close up?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here