Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sick lip stick plant

Posted by mabdur01 south florida (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 13:36

I bought a plant at a bazaar. I was told it is a lip stick plant need little watering and prefers indirect low light. The plant started loosig a lot of leaves, and did not bud. I read online that it like humidity, and sun from the north or east. So I moved it to my window facing east, and began misting is every now and then. It is still loosing a lot of leaves, the ends are browing, and it has not budded. Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sick lip stick plant

Mabdur, you were given terrible advice. Lipstick plants prefer bright light and even some full sun.
Flowers appear more in spring and summer, although if given enough light and humidity, they could bloom.
Before worrying about blooms, you need to find out the reason your lipstick is shedding so much.

When did you buy it and was it potted or bare root? What size is the pot? Some sellers plant in large pots to make a plant look bigger. A lot of soil is used, then roots end up swimming in soil.
If you're over or under-watering, leaves will drop.

Are leaves yellowing before falling off? Or just have brown ends?
Did you fertilize?
Check for bugs?

There's numerous reasons this is happening.

Check for webbs, white masses, or brown lumps. Your plant should be potted in a container with drainage holes.
Make sure soil isn't soaking wet.

A picture might help. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here