Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhipsalis ?? ID...

Posted by puglvr1 9b central FL (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 13:37

I was hoping someone might know exactly what the name of this plant is? I paid $1 for it about 6-7 months ago at Lowe's (rescued) with No ID or tag...its doubled or tripled in size since then.

Is it even a Rhipsalis, that's what someone said it might be...

Two different types of leaves on the same plant/pot..

One is thick grows straight up and is triangular in shape...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhipsalis ?? ID...

The others are very thin, flat and hangs down...

Thanks!!

o

Is it possible you have two different plants there? One looks to have multiple sides (more than two) and the flat one looks like it has just two sides. The only Rhipsalis that comes to mind for the multi-sided one is R. lepismium. Not sure if that's a correct ID, but maybe it will lead you in the right direction.

Planto

o

I have a cactus that reminds me a bit of this one, it has some long flat leaves (or what to call them) and some with multiple sides, even hexagonal. I am absolutely sure it is one plant, i got it as a small cutting at a meeting in the garden society with houseplant trading. It has soft spikes, almost like hairs. Could it be an epiphyllum?

o

Thanks for your suggestions Plantomaniac and Pelargonium...it certainly could be epiphyllum? I don't know rhipsalis or epiphylum well enough to be able to tell,lol...

I went to check on it again and it appears that there is new growth that is the 3 sided (triangular) version growing from one of the thin flat stem...so it appears to be the same plant with two very distinct stems/leaves? Very strange...

o

I wish I could help, Nancy!
Sure looks to be a vigorous grower, though ;0

Josh

o

Nancy,
Wish I could be of more help than that, but you have quite a find there and I have no idea beyond rhipsalis or some kind of epi. If nobody can give you an ID by the end of the week, you could try the Cactus and Succulent forum. :)

Planto

o

That plant really looks like one I bought not too long ago from exotic angels at walmart... the one I have is called Lepismium cruciforme, it gets those white fuzzy hairs at each spot the thorns grow. It is in the rhipsalis family, or closly related, it it turns very bright red in the right conditions.

o

You guys have been a lot of help... I appreciate all suggestions! Maybe "if" it ever blooms? It would be easier to ID it...

Flowerpot...I think this is an Exotic Angel plant, Lowe's carries mostly EA in their houseplants dept.

Josh, it has been a pretty fast grower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here