Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
house plants need help

Posted by ournewhouseinla LA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 13:37

I got this cute little turkey hostess gift for Thanksgiving but I dont' know how to take care of it. It has rosemary, sage and thyme.

[IMG]http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36/ournewhouseinla/DSCF1015.jpg[/IMG]

I guess I have over watered my plants can someone help me nurse them back to health.

[IMG]http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36/ournewhouseinla/DSCF1017.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36/ournewhouseinla/DSCF1016.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for yall's help.
jenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: house plants need help

The herbs you mention will all do better out of doors in LA as they need very good light. Plant them in any ordinary garden dirt. Keep them well watered for the first few weeks then you can forget about them as they are all drought resistant.

o

thanks for answering so quickly.

Should I cover the herbs when the temp is going to be in the low 30's?

As you can see I didn't post the pictures right. I will do better posting my pictures.

Jenny

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 16:35

Please do not pot/plant your herbs in topsoil or garden soil (dirt). You'll find it to be a source of many problems when it's tied to container culture of any kind. It simply has too little aeration and too much water retention and compaction to be considered even a reasonable choice as a container soil.

For years, I've grown herbs in a highly aerated, fast draining soil, which is what herbs prefer. The soil I use looks like this
Photobucket
but other soils that are based on materials of larger particles that ensure adequate drainage and aeration will also work better than heavier, peat-based soils.

Some herbs (mostly the woody ones) will tolerate some frost and temperatures in the low 30s, while other, more succulent plants will not. You'll need to do a little research to check the lows to which your plants are listed as hardy.

Al

o

Rosemary should tolerate the cold quite well.

I agree with Al about avoiding garden soil. Your experience will be so much better if you start
with a clean, porous, well-draining potting mix.

Growing up, my experience with plants was mostly in-ground gardening; but in 2005 I took a cutting from a
Jade plant - Crassula ovata - which really began my current houseplant collection.

I used to incorporate dirt and yard organics into my mixes, thinking that I had to "recreate" the
environment, from which my plants had come, in the container. What an error that turned out to be.
Thankfully, I started hanging out at this website, and I learned from Al the principles behind his soil-less
mixes. It saved me years of headache, I believe.

Reading here also cleared up several fundamental misconceptions,
which could ultimately have interfered with or prevented future learning.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here