Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

A Family Photo: My Houseplants

plantomaniac08
11 years ago

It all started with one houseplant and one plant stand... I don't know where the rest came from... really!

Planto

Comments (19)

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

Nice! I like the plants AND the stands!

How long have you had the ZZ?

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

elkay,
    Thanks! To be honest, the ZZ was a clearance find ($4.50) that I got a little less than a month ago.

Planto

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

That AV is gorgeous! With foliage like that, you don't even need the flowers! Did you order it?

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I took the AV from my Mother... she got it from a local IGA (Do you have those where you're at? It's a grocery store, not sure if they're everywhere or just here in the South). I think she said she paid like $5 for it. It hasn't bloomed yet for me, but I'm pretty sure the blooms will be light pink from photos I've seen online of the particular foliage.

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

A robust group, nice! It looks like the smaller Sans to the right on the tallest stand has interestingly wide leaves. Cool.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple,
    I don't have many houseplants, I have about as many plants outdoors (rudbeckia, foxtail fern, hostas, cacti, an aloe... only about 16 plants total, not a large collection by any standards), but I enjoy sharing.

The Sans you're referring to is one of two 'Gold Flame' Sans I got from Stush. I separated the mother (gave her to... guess who, my Mother) and kept the pup. It just popped out it's first yellow leaf but it'll be awhile before it completely yellows (it's more of a yellow green right now) and I can post a photo. Here's the original photo Stush sent me of the Mom and pup. The one on the left is the one in my photo.

Planto

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful Planto! I love the pots, the nice color of the leaves, the stands, and the nice bright walls they are up against.

You have a gift making plants look beautiful!

Mike

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,
    Aww, thanks Mike. *Blush* I always see everyone else's beautiful plants, just thought I'd share my collection. :)

Planto

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Planto. I am getting a crush on San's! I have had some very kind members send me a few rare ones and one evenb sent me a ZZ, a plant I have always wanted.

I LOVE the yellow and whites in San's. Outstanding.

People here have big hearts.

Mike

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

Nice!
    what you Do have is lookin good, and perfectly pot-matched,,
    unlike my windowsill-of-shame lol
    funny i met a gal at Walmart a week er so back, she was trying to get me on one of those ZZ's,, its a little too big for me, but,, its theyre kinda growin on me,, intersting plant, yours looks Great! luv the wrought-iron stands too. :)

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@meyermike_1micha,
    You're right about members here having big hearts. I know Stush is always giving out/trading plants.

@silentsurfer,
    Thanks! Uh oh... do you have a picture of your windowsill of shame (I'm intrigued now). They do have smaller ones (zz plants), they take awhile to grow I've read so I doubt you'd have to worry about repotting it yearly or anything. I'm sure the one I have will be in it's current pot for a long time to come (that's the idea... it had 4 new shoots when I bought it, now I see one that I apparently caused... that makes 5 new shoots). Took me a little while to collect the stands, cheapest one was $6, most expensive one was $20 (mind you, regular price was $50).

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That's cool! Don't remember ever seeing one so yellow before. Love the stuff I learn on here!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Hello all, I have to give away plants becaue all my window seals are full and this is the time of year I loose so much or they really look like they been thru the war. Thanks Plato and Mike for the kind words. I am making a list for spring give aways. I am worried about those in NY and NJ. Some of our friends here are in bad shape. I hope they get their electricity back soon and are well. Plants can and will be replaced but people freezing. That is just not right.
    elkay,
    I am in love with your Gold Hahnii you showed on our Sans. forum. Hope to see an update.
    Stush

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Nice little collection! I have too many plants myself indoors, they're all over the house. LOTS of AVs, Sundews, a few Nepenthes, Streps, Some orchids, A Schefflera that's about 20 years old, A snake plant, a pink Arrow plant, A thanksgiving cactus, a Hawthornia, A couple of Amaryllis, to name a few.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush,
    Thanks but I don't have a Gold Hahnii right now (just your 'Gold Flame'). Although... when you're Gold Hahnii pups... I'll gladly take one (I know, you said not to hold my breath). But, I will update you on the 'Gold Flame' you gave me once I can. It's already pushed out a yellow leaf!

Planto

11 years ago

Planto, I was referring to 'elkay'. She posted a picture of her Gold Hahnii. She asked if it was normal to produce green/white pups and it they would turn yellow. I hope she keeps us updated with the developement.
    Stush

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Planto..beautiful collection..Nice pots and stand, too.
    Is the stand a one-piece set or three individual pieces?

Your Gold Flame Sans is gorgeous. I ordered GF 2009. The Sans sent looked nothing like the picture which was quite gold. The reason I bought it.
    Yours is Amazingly yellow/gold.
    How much light does it get?

Planto, there are hundreds if not thousands of variegated AV's. Each have different color flowers..including double blooms and rose shape..

AV's need a good amount of light in order to bloom.

Your AV is very very pretty.

Everyone should have at least one AV. :)

Hang around long enough..you'll have more than 16 total. lol. Toni

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni,
    They are three different stands.

I got the Sans from Stush and it was that gold when I received it. It gets indirect light from a south window (it's about 5 feet away from the window). I broke the two Sans pictured up and kept the greener one of the two. I gave my Mom the yellow one.

I got the AV from my Mom. I'm hoping I don't kill it lol.

Planto

11 years ago

Toni,
    Did you buy your Gold Flame back in 2009? It takes some times three or four leaves from the rosette before they come mostly yellow. I have some pups that started all yellow but most take a few new leaves to produce.
    {{gwi:112201}}
    And the next photo shows how different each leaf is. One being 1/2 normal with 1/2 yellow. Also the yellow is solid and thicker almost like a wax covering.
    {{gwi:112202}}
    Also photo bucket is changing all the time and is harder to download photos here.
    Stush

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert