Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Rubber Plant Dying

Posted by Nita14 none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 13:40

Hi
I had this Rubber plant inside near window with decent sunlight. Its leaves drooped suddenly. I tried watering more, keeping it outisde in Sun but it has not helped.
Please can someone help. Is it some disease. I do not want the plant to die.
I have lost one rubber plant like that just a month before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Rubber Plant Dying

Hi Nita,

I realize you're upset about the plant, but you've posted this 3 times already today.

Pls. allow people 1 day or 2 (at least) to respond.

Also, since it's likely to be a problem w/ your soil, pls. show pix &/or describe the soil otherwise it's unlikely we can offer much help.

Does the pot have a hole in the bottom?

o

from the picture you posted on the other thread, your plant is toast. Looks to be overwatered. The stalk looks like its shriveling more then likely from root rot.

o

Dear pirate_girl
I know I posted by mistake 3 times but you are right I am over anxious. Thankfully I am getting some good advise and understand this must have happened due to soil which retain water-the pot does have a hole in the bottom.
Can the plant be revived?

o

Dear grrr4200
thanks-yes I now understand now that root rot has set in. Can anything be done to revive?

o

They grow very easily from cuttings, which would be one way to preserve it. But if you remove it from the soil, clean it up and trim off roots that are rotting or damaged it should be okay in new, light, fast draining soil. A lot of these Ficus start off life as an epiphyte in a tree, eventually sending roots down to the ground. So they cope with drought better than they do with too much water.

o

Looking at the picture honestly there is no hope, even if you take a cutting. the stems are very veined/shriveled which is a 'goner' stage. Throw it out and start over, now that you have some good tips you wont go through the same thing all over again.

o

Here's your pic, upright. Unpotting it would yield more info. If you find everything's mushy, it's dead. If not, drying out, as suggested, could help it revive, I'd put in fresh soil too.

Though there's a hole in the bottom of the pot, is there an attached drain saucer also? Or is it a nursery pot in a more decorative outer pot?

Love your floor, BTW!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here