Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Plant or Weed? lol

birdsnblooms
11 years ago

Hello...

Can anyone tell if my green is a plant or weed?

I sometimes reuse pots, so whatever it is, didn't come in the growing container, which was a succulent.

Here's the pictures..I know it won't win an award, lol, but need to know if I should toss or keep it...

{{gwi:112221}}

{{gwi:112222}}

Any ideas? TIA, Toni

Comments (19)

• Lamora
    11 years ago

I heard once that "A Weed is just a Plant that hasn't been apprecieated yet" ~~ lol. Sorry, had to say it...

Hope someone can help, cuz I don't know, but it is intresting..

Marjie

• deadheadri
    11 years ago

Wow.. Not sure about that one Toni..
    Maybe a couple of unrelated plants went straight to Funky Town one night and this was the result?

I vote you put some pretty foil and a ribbon on it, and sell it on Ebay as a one-of-a-kind original..

$39.99 with FREE Shipping!

Charlie

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Marjie. I know, I know, all plants are weeds somewhere..lol.
    But, my question is, is this plant an IL weed? Something I normally dig/pluck and toss in the compost or a weed I'd pay $. lol.
    Don't want to discard until I'm certain.

Charlie, ROFL..Great idea, but eventually my 100% positive feedback would drop to negative..lol.

Sad as it may be, this plant/weed wasn't around when Disco rocked Chi-town, so it never been to Funky Town..lol.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I once wrote an essay called What is a Weed?
    Basically theres no such thing as a weed, its merely a plant we didnt plant, one that turned up unexpectedly.
    No idea what this is tho, a Euphorbia perhaps?

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

A weed is an un desirable plant in a un desirable place. lol!

Next time our HOA tries to write me up I will show them this thread. lol..

JoJo

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Does it have any leaves?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

My favorite description of a "weed" is a rosebush in a cornfield.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Morning...

You gals/guys are funny. I expected 'weed' jokes.

Larry, I haven't the faintest. Originally, the pot held another plant. While repotting last spring, I ran out of 'x' size pots, so whatever the green thingy is, wasn't purchased in that pot.

Does unknown plant have any distinctive characteristics of a Euphorbia?

JoJo...HOA?

To look at it, the poor thing is undesirable. lol.

Purple..No leaves. There are tiny, green balls on the tips of stems. It was outside all summer.
    There's a weed here in IL w/roundish, green leaves. In summer, little balls form.
    The balls, I'm assuming are seeds. Seeds sometimes end up in a pot of soil, germinate, but usually leaf each season if kept warm.
    The first time I spotted this weed growing in a pot, I thought it was Talinum/Jewel of Opar.
    "Asleep..Or a stalk of corn in a rose garden. :)

11 years ago

Definitely not Talinum paniculatum. But I do have some seeds of that I'd be happy to send you if you'd like. I don't see how the seeds in your plants' balls will be able to ripen without any leaves to produce sustenance for this plant, whatever it is. Again I admire your ability to see something worthwhile about any plant. I've tried a couple times and just can't muster any appreciation for this thing.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

OMG Toni...that WOULD look awful! lol

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

HOA.
    Home Owners Association.
    They snoop around once a month and write up anyone with weeds or tall grass.

JoJo

• jean001a
    11 years ago

You asked "distinctive characteristics of a Euphorbia"

A broken stem will exude milky white latex/sap.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple...Oh, I know it's not Talinum, lol..the weed that looks like Talinum grows everywhere. Talinum, living outdoors, IL, would be a goner by spring..
    Thanks Purple, but I have a variegated Talinum..it's not getting enough sun so growing spindly and losing color.

Do you have a mature Talinum that flowered? If so, can you please post a picture?

Purple, actually I don't see any beauty in the plant, but was hoping someone could come up an ID. If it's a weed, out it will go.
    On the other hand, I don't want to toss a dormant plant...ya know?

Asleep...Yep, it would look awful..:) Especially for those who dote on roses and nature parks known for rose gardens.

JoJo..Ah...We don't have HOA, but an inspector drives by whenever. My brother lives in a condo..ppl on the first floor who have mini-gardens are responsible for grass/plants. If a blade of grass is out of place, they're notified and admonished.

Jean..sorry, I should have explained..Larry mentioned unknown plant/weed and Euphorbia. I thought he meant there was something about the plants growth that reminded him of a Euphorb.

Good point though..think I'll cut a stem to see if there's sap. Thank you.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

It looks like a Solanum with no leaves. Are those small berries? Solanum has alternate leaves, and makes small tomatoes (another Solanum) that are green and ripen to red or black.

11 years ago

Seeds pods ripening.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DZ. It could be Solanum. Is Solanum a plant one would buy at a nursery or is it a weed? I can't recall buying this plant. Don't know where it came from.

Purple..I haven't snapped a piece off yet..Don't know if it should be tossed or saved. I don' want to keep weeds, too, espeically when there's a space problem.

Purple, I love your Talinum. Is it growing in-ground?
    Most Talinum pictures, 'online nurseries,' are drawings. lol. Wonder why?

The beads/seeds are cute, and those flowers are gorgeous.
    I've never seen picture w/actual flowers, just the seeds...again, they were drawing..lol

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Hey Toni. Sure, people buy Solaanums all the time. Peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant and Tomatillos are all Solanums. So is Nightshade. Nightshades are weeds that sprout everywhere a bird that ate a Nightshade berry might poop.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DZ, lol. I know, I know.
    I mean, do people buy S. nigrum?

There's an IL weed that resemble Purple's Talinum in bud. This weed grows a little above ground level,(they're plucked) but leaves grow fairly large. By summer, a vast amount of purple seeds sprout from the center, spread out on top.

One plant I 'assumed' was Talinum was kept yearly. After seeing drawings on online nurseries, I figured I must have bought one.

Around the same time, the Talinum-looking weeds grew in the yard.

Outdoors they die back in late autumn..potted then brought indoors these weeds are evergreen.
    It took years before I realized it wasn't Talinum, but an IL weed..lol.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!