Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown webbing on Pygmy Date Palm

Posted by gregplantaine7 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 13:53

There is some sort of small webbing on my pygmy date palm. it is currently near a sunny window. Can one of you figure out what it is?
Here is a picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown webbing on Pygmy Date Palm

Greg, it looks like a regular house spider's web, but it never hurts to be cautious.

Spider Mites webs are closely knitted. Mites will suck the life out of plant growth..leaves eventually yellow and feel sticky.

To test for mites, hold a sheet of white/typing paper under webs, and gently tap plant..nearest webs.
If your PDP has mites, they'll fall on the paper.

Mites are difficult to see..they're very tiny, almost microscopic. Depending on your sight, you may need to use a magnifying glass. Tap different parts of your Palm.
Mites are red, green, yellow, etc.

Keep us posted if you see mites... Toni

o

When I tapped the webbing this is what fell off

o

Greg...the larger ?? look like ants, but it's hard to tell from this end. Could be soil.

Do the spots move? If spots move, they're mites.

o

Both the large and small dots did not appear to be moving but I do sometimes find what looks like a small black spider starting to make a web when it hangs from one of the fronds so it may be just a tiny house spider like you said plus there doesn't seem to be any damage to the fronds other than the leaf tips. The tips were already there when I brought it in.
Thank You for your help.

o

I am with Toni!

If you had mites, your leaves would not look that green. They would look mottled by the time any webbing occurred.

Mike

o

Im thinking some kind of caterpillar, but cant remember the name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here