Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer lemon leaves turning yellow

Posted by vaherbmom 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 13:54

and falling off. I recently brought it in from outside where it spent the warm months.

Am I watering too little or not enough? I have been battling spider mites on it but don't see many now.

thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer lemon leaves turning yellow

Posting a pic of the tree and the potting mix will help with the questions about watering.

That said, Meyer's are intolerant of changes in light and temperature, and will typically yellow and shed leaves when encountering these changes. If healthy, the tree will regrow leaves that are better suited to the new conditions. In the meantime, give it as much light as possible, and continue fertilizing at a reduced rate.

Josh

o

Are you really in zone 10? If so, why did bring it inside?

o

You mention the possible use of too much water....but don't mention just how much given....how often, and how applied.
Too much water is a possible direct reason why the leaves are yellowing....so try cutting back --see what happen.
The light levels now are almost at their lowest....(Dec 21) so you can give it increased direct light indoors.
The yellowing leaves can also be caused from:
too much/too little fertilizer
too high nighttime temperatures
sucking insects--such as scale insects or mealybugs

or a combo of any or all.
Try each one in turn and see if your plant responds.

o

Thanks so much, and no, I'm not in zone 10. That is the default for posting and I didn't bother changing it.

Sorry I did not give enough information. I am pretty sure it's not getting too much water as I notice the leaves curling every so often so it must be more dry than optimal. I usually give it at least a gallon/week (very large pot).

It is in a full wall-height south-facing window so gets as much as possible. It definitely did experience a big change coming from outside as it was pretty chilly by the time I moved it.

Please give guidance as to what type of fertilizer I should use and where to buy it, thank you!!!

o

Post a pic.

What is the soil type? How large is the tree? How large is the container?

If the container is too large, and full of heavy soil, it might be holding too much moisture, even if you don't think it's being overwatered.

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 14:49

How long have you had the plant, and has it ever been repotted or potted up?

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here