Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How low of a temperature can these houseplants survive?

Posted by nick_b79 z4 MN (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 13:59

We have an addition above our garage that we use mainly for storage right now, and to save on heating we hang a heavy curtain in the stairway and turn down the thermostat upstairs to 50F to prevent the pipes from freezing.

Recently, a family member has moved in with us and her collection of houseplants easily matches mine. I'd love to move some of them upstairs, since it gets gobs of sunlight from the south-facing windows. The plants I'm hoping to move are pothos vines, rubber trees, ZZ plants, ficus, mother-in-law's tongue, umbrella trees, and dracenea. Can any of these handle a winter of 50F?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How low of a temperature can these houseplants survive?

Nick, all will surive 50F degree temps, but soil MUST dry completely between waterings.

ZZ and Mother-in-Laws-Tongue will rot at 50F in wet soil.

Although your plants will thrive, proper watering is very important.

Is your soil well-draining? Toni

o

Good question to ask, Toni!

Josh

o

Caveat: don't let plants dry to the point of wilting.

o

Hi, I live in Mn too...I keep lots of plants in my downstairs and its about 50' to 65' down there and I water very little, just enough to keep the plants from wilting or dropping their leaves...I have a clivia, many cactus, rubber plant, plumeria, and usually all my thanksgiving and christmas cactus until they bud and start blooming...
and the above are right....to wet will make the rot...better on the dry side and if you see wilting just give them a little water...you have south windows, so the room will be very warm on sunny days...
good luck....since you are in Mn where do you buy plants?.....linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here