Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mealybug?

Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 14:18

Is this mealybug crap? If so, how do I get rid of it NOW?

Dangit, I was doing so good I thought here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mealybug?

Not mealybug. Try to get a focused picture of the affected area as well as one of more of the whole plant.

o

• Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 15:02

one

o

• Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 15:03

two

o

Hi Tiff,

No, that's not mealy, mealy tends to look fuzzy, a bit like white cotton fluff. Not sure what it is, maybe a tear in the leaf?

o

It looks like physical damage, maybe something close-by 'squished' the leaves against the edge of planter - damage in 2nd photo seems to be where the leve would touch it.

o

I think that's crease/bruise marks from being mailed.

o

I agree, not mealybugs. The leaf just got bent the wrong way.
Sometimes plants with mealybugs will feel sticky because of the excretions of the mealies. If you see any bits of white on your plants, touch them with some rubbing alcohol and if it's mealybug the rubbing alcohol will melt away their white coating.
Not fun to deal with, and I hope you never do get those nasty critters.

o

Not mealies. That's a GOOD thing! Mealies are white, hairy looking little so and so's. You better hope you don't get those!

o

yea, you boo booed the leave and its just a scar, i just got done examining old mans pipe (callisa) the same plant you have there, and theres a mark just like it where I bumped into it last week
:D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here