Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

Moving plants...

tifflj
11 years ago

So, Purple said she moves her plants all the time. I read my rubber plant hates to be moved. I also read somewhere that plants in general dont like to be moved around.

My question is...How do they know? Yeah the lighting changes, but that happened in their natural environment as well and indoors...with rainy gloomy days and super sunny days...how do they know?

Comments (5)

• raelynn09
    11 years ago

Oh trust me... they know! :)
    I work in a garden center, and rearranging houseplants is something we dread, especially with ficus! Ficus i think are the pickiest with changes!
    Even in a home the temperature can change drastically - even if it's two feet. Closer to the bathrooms and kitchens could have higher humidity, warmer in a busy living room, cold in the bedroom during the day, etc... also, keep in mind the heating and cooling vents, which can give off dry stale air, electronics that may get warm (This is something I take advantage of in the cold winter months - the entertainment center keeps a few of my houseplants toasty warm! :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I don't have any ficus, but can't think of any plants I have that show any signs of being bothered by a move, except the normal pouting of an occasional plant from coming inside from being outside for about 9 months. BUT part of that could be a few too-cold nights before *I* decide it's time for the move.

We don't run the furnace, so no hot bursts of hot or dry air. The past 2 winters my plants have done better than any previous indoor time, most actually growing instead of shrinking. Lots of light, plenty humid in here, 55-65 degrees. The big plants I was kind of worried about because they sit right on the floor, which is always about 50 when we put a thermometer on the floor to measure, but they seemed to like it. We don't have this house this way for the plants, but it does seem more natural than dry 70-degree air all winter, day and night.

I did have a rubber tree for years that I would move inside/outside, to several different dwellings, and then from OH to AL in the back of a U-haul. All of that was fine but a few frozen nights in a shed were fatal. F. elastica doesn't have the fussy reputation, AFAIK. Just needs lots of light, no freezes.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

The only plant 'alleged' to drop leaves after being relocated is F. Benjamina.
    There shouldn't be any problems moving F. Rubber Tree, although RT's naturally drop older/bottom foliage.

Various plants moved in lower light from bright/direct sun can drop foliage, especially after being outdoors.

Moreso when plants are left outdoors when temps drop in the 30's for prolonged periods. Ex. My Coffee Tree and several Hoyas look horrid.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

The dropping of some leaves isn't usually considered a problem for about any plant unless it's a pattern indicative of a health problem. As you get more acquainted with your plants, you'll be able to tell the difference, usually, but don't be afraid to put up any pics and ask what people think about a particular plant.

Not everyone has enough light, the hardest part in winter, for plants to "be all they can be." But as long as they're healthy, even those that end up looking like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree by spring usually perk right up.

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok. Thank you!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional