Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norma_2006

Did you think of

norma_2006
12 years ago

Sansevieria, little care some light, air and water when needed and something to eat twice a year. May go on vacation during the winter months Oct-until May they need very little to survive, are clean growing. Will flower with enough sun, depending on each species and age. Decorators use them, great for open houses. Grow in all sizes, 200 species, they have them on Ebay.

Comments (16)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Norma, If it helps bring more people into our hobby, I'll show some pictures;
    {{gwi:112483}}
    bought cheaply at local box store,
    {{gwi:112484}}
    {{gwi:112485}}
    {{gwi:105797}}
    {{gwi:112486}}
    {{gwi:112487}}
    enjoy, Stush

• summersunlight
    12 years ago

I love Sans. I have several of the standard trifasciatas. I am starting to think of branching out into the other species.

• gravyboots
    12 years ago

Several weeks ago, I was at my local BigBox Hardware store looking for Superthrive to use on some cuttings and.... they had some Sans in 3" pots for, like, $1.49 or some ridiculous price. I've never had them before, but so many people gush about them & I was reading that they're super air-scrubbers, so I picked up 3 pots, all with pups (had to get the most value for my $4.50!!).
    {{gwi:112488}}From plants misc

GB

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Sans are very pretty, easy care, as long as they're not over-watered or potted.

Walmart Specials

{{gwi:112489}}

{{gwi:112490}}

Ebay

{{gwi:112492}}

{{gwi:112493}}

{{gwi:112492}}

Elsewhere

{{gwi:112494}}

{{gwi:112495}}

{{gwi:112496}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Must be sans season. I just got a cute lil' one at WM last week.
    {{gwi:112497}}

This one (which is now a pair) was given to me by my gramma. It's/they're at least 25 years old and used to be in 1 pot. About 12 years ago, it actually bloomed. Although I love this plant, I don't understand it at all, when it bloomed, it was being ignored, sitting on the floor in my bedroom, behind dark green miniblinds that I rarely opened. Whenever I try to give this plant any direct sun past about 10 am, the leaves start burning. (The other plant is Dieffenbachia.)

{{gwi:112502}}

If you have a lot of wind and like to put plants outside, I highly recommend sans. Mine never blow over even when all of the others do. A very non-aerodynamic plant.

12 years ago

Watch out they are addicted. So far I get my fix from local big box stores and a few deals on line. I have had Sans. Tri~ in pots uncared for and unloved for over 40 years, using tomato cages to keep them in line. Still, they still love me and are forgiving. You may want to move to the other area 'Sansevieria'
    Stush

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

My first house plant, now divided into two. I paid $1.50 at IKEA. It was about half the size of the smaller plant.
    {{gwi:66655}}
    It all started with this Sans. My love of plants and my collection have grown since.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Purple..very nice..I would have liked to see your 25-yr-old Sans when they were potted as one.
    Did you ask your gramma how she took care? Since it's doing so well, perhaps you should stick to her way.

Do all grammas have green thumbs?

Have you ever known anyone who actually took care of their Sans? lol.
    Or read a plant book that didn't say, 'Sans do best when neglected?'

What color were flowers?
    So, are you saying, very low light and completely dry soil promotes blooms?

Anyway, I like your Sans. Wonder what species the 25-yr-old is...do you know? It's unusual. Green, w/golden hues.

Stush. I think you meant to say, 'Watch out, I am 'addicted.' lol. I, meaning you, not me.

You'd think because of their reputation as care-free plants, they'd sell more. Then again, Walmart is the only store, around here, that sells variegated Sans. Otherwise, the common Sans, known as Mother-in-laws-tongue or Snake Plants are sold.

Stush, how tall are your Sanss that you use tomato cages? Have any pics to share? Toni

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Whip, have you noticed leaves on the larger Sans differ? Looks like a different species, altogether.
    Very pretty. You sure it's not a different type? Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Purple..very nice.. Thanks, Toni!

Did you ask your gramma how she took care? Since it's doing so well, perhaps you should stick to her way. My gramma was mostly a veggie gardener and I should ask her how she came to have house plants at all. She never did when I was a kid. I imagine she might have complained about not having any gardening to do after moving to an apartment in the 90's and these were probably given to her so she could "do some gardening." I just don't know. Then she moved into my Aunt's house after a couple years and that is when the sans and Dracaena from the other discussion were given to me, she didn't have enough room for them. So I've had it close to 20 years.

Do all grammas have green thumbs? NO! But I wouldn't want to say less than flattering things about my son's paternal gramma.

What color were flowers? So, are you saying, very low light and completely dry soil promotes blooms? The flowers were white and I'll never forget how GOOD they smelled. One little stalk of about 15-20 little white blooms was enough to make a strong enough scent that I noticed it as soon as I entered the room. That's how I noticed the flowers were even there, looking for the source of the wonderful scent. I liked it better than jasmines I've smelled. I don't know what made it bloom, that's why I said I don't understand this plant. But yeah, it was definitely dry and in almost no light. Strange!

Anyway, I like your Sans. Wonder what species the 25-yr-old is...do you know? Me too! I know nothing about sans species, so if you have a guess, that's more than I can offer. I think it looks just like your bottom pic, but I don't know enough to spot any differences there might be.

Whip, I was also wondering if there are 2 diff sans in your pots. The difference in the leaves is more than just a lighter/darker coloring of the same pattern, totally different patterns. What is the big leaf in the lower left corner?

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

Toni,
    I have noticed the difference in the leaves, but never thought it could be 2 different plants. Now that you mention it, they do look vastly different. Any ideas on how to separate them?
    Purple,
    The large leaf in the corner is a Sum and Substance Hosta with some sun burn.

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

stush the sands are nice but your red E.millii caught my eye..LOL

Mary

12 years ago

to Whip1, You got lucky with your finds. They are different types of Sansevieria Trifasciata Laurentii. I would tare them apart and pot them up separately. Maybe wait till early spring. Check out the Sansevieria forums. Great learning center. Great experts there.
    to Toni, My Sans. Tri~ ones are now over 50 inches tall. they grow by neglect. I had some for over 40 years in the same pots. No mater what, they live and keep growing.
    {{gwi:112503}}
    Mary, bought at Buried Treasures on line. It looked dead when I got it and was about 3 inches long (grafted). I potted it and watered it and surprise it started to grow like a weed.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Purple..the reason I commented about grandmas.
    My grandmother grew AV's in pots w/o drainage, at least 10' from a window, 'forgot the direction,' windows had curtains, and no additional light. Yet, her Av's bloomed year round.
    However, my mother, sisters, and one brother can't grow a weed. lol.

It was very nice of the person who gave your gram indoor plants..Especially since she was used to gardening.

Hopefully, one day, probably when I'm 100-yrs-old, my Sans will bloom, and I'll be able to smell their fragrance, too. lol.

Whip, if you decide to seperate, wait till spring.
    Roots are very entwined, so it'll take some work parting them.
    If you can't untangle, using a sharp knife, cutting roots/dividing will do the trick, but it might take time before your Sans acclimates. It's a difficult decision and risky.

Stush...WOW..Yours are the largest Sans I've ever seen. So beautiful.
    The pots must be fun moving. lol

I also see a pretty Philodendron potted before the Sans, and two hanging Syngoniums and a second Philodendron.

Are your plants in a sun room??? They'd doing spectacular. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Beautiful everyone and another great thread. Here are just a couple of my Sans!

{{gwi:13792}}

{{gwi:13793}}

{{gwi:112504}}

Mike:-)

• summersunlight
    12 years ago

mike, is that first one Bantel's sensation? Very pretty! I am a big fan of Sans with interesting variegation.
    One of the plants I would like to have the most would be a variegated Mason-Congo/Sans masoniana but they're too expensive for me to justify it at this point.