Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for validation in my horror

Posted by SarahofLayton none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 14:58

My favorite plant in my office building is a beautiful Monstera Deliciosa, it sits near a sky light and it has been doing really well, sprouting new leaves (which are the highlight of my year watching them unfurl) I came in to work today to see that it had been moved from it's normal spot. When I asked the receptionist what had happened, why had it been moved? She tells me that somebody had moved it to put it directly under a roof leak. I look in the pot and it's sitting in 2 inches of water! I pull the pot out and it drains for what feels like forever to leave about 3 inches of water in the drainage pot!
I...am beside myself.
Please join me in being appalled and deeply worried for this plant. Poor guy :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for validation in my horror

Awww man, I'm sure you gave it the best first-aid you could. Bet whoever did it thought they were just killing 2 birds with one stone, giving the plant a drink and keeping water off of the floor.

o

Sarah, that's awful. Do you know who moved it?
I'd have a heart to heart with him/her. Explain he/she will kill the Monstera.

Do you have any say-so in the matter?

If they want to catch water so it doesn't hit the floor, they should put a bucket underneath, but more important, the ceiling shouldn't be leaking. Toni

o

I validate your horror!!!

I hope it recovers and the leak gets fixed.

o

I have to validate your horror, too!

It reminds me of people who water once a week whether plants need it or not, then allow them to sit in saucers of water forever! Or folks who use dirt from their yard for houseplants! Oh, the horror!

No such thing as a green thumb! It's really applied knowledge!

o

I say so'ed that plant right back to the spot under the sunroof. It seems to be doing well actually, I must have caught it before the soaking had caused any damage, or it's just not showing any side effects yet.
Thanks for the validation, I was guffawing and gasping and the co workers I was sharing with would just say "oh, is that bad for it?" Harumph!

o

Sounds like this may be one of those things that looks bad but turns out to be good. What a big ripple (if you are familiar with the term "ripple effect!" Try to imagine all of the future plants that will NOT be killed by the people who heard you complaining about this plant sitting in water. It's humbling. Good for you, and this plant!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here