Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anthurium care

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 15:20

I have just purchased one and it seems to be doing really well. It came in a green plastic pot and now it is pot bound, should I repot it? What kind of soil would be best? Right now I use Miracle Grow 12-4-8 fertilizer and have used it every 2 weeks. How much light should I give it? I have it in a west window and it seems to like it. Any advice? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anthurium care

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 9:26

Hi, Marg. Give it all the light you can, w/o having it in direct sun. It likes a very coarse soil that doesn't stay soggy after you water, and should be allowed to get fairly but not completely dry between waterings. Your 12-4-8 fertilizer is a very good choice if you're using a commercially prepared soil. If you decide to MAKE your own soil, be sure to include some garden lime in it (already in commercially prepared soils) as a source of Ca and Mg, which the 12-4-8 lacks. This plant likes it WARM, so be sure you try to keep it in a spot free from cold drafts.

Al

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 10:42

Thanks for the help. Right now it is still in the original pot and rather pot bound. I was considering repotting in the spring but then remembered that some plants do better when potbound. Do these plants like to be pot bound? It gets direct sun late in the afternoon but more so in the summer but I can then move it to a north window where it will get bright light but no direct sun. Marg

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 14:11

Click the link to read why no plant likes to be pot-bound. If your plant is badly root-bound, a good strategy would be to pot-up temporarily to a slightly larger pot, then do a full repot in June - around Father's day is about the ideal time for most tropical houseplants. That ensures a fast recovery & less chance disease or insect infestations would become an issue during the more vulnerable recovery period.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here