Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icharger

Golden Pothos

ICharger
9 years ago

Hiya everyone. This is my 1st ever plant at the age of 37.So far I've had it for 3 months and it seems to be doing fairly well. I have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask that I'm still struggling to find out the answer to.
Where about do you trim this plant? I have uploaded a few photos of where I have trimmed it recently and I'm not sure if this is correct. Since cutting it the stem hasn't done anything.
Many thanks.

Comments (7)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Welcome to house plants!

This forum can hold 1 pic per post or reply. If you'd like to add more pics, please do, 1 per reply.

To help you with the lingo a bit, the pic that showed up looks like a leaf has been trimmed, leaving part of its' petiole. Leaves have a little stem called a petiole that attaches them to what is referred to as the stem. In this pic, I don't see any cut stems.

Is your motivation for trimming to control size, manipulate appearance, or for propagation?

• hottomato99
    9 years ago

I would second those comments. Pothos are VERY resilient. Also three months is not a long time in plant time so what is your goal with your plant?

• ICharger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both very much for your replies. My main goal us to have the plant growing strong and looking it's best. I have the plant situated where there is zero natural light. It's on top of my stairs., with no windows. I will post another picture showing its current condition. I have a few leaves which I wish to trim, because of brown spots but still unsure where to cut. If I cut it from the stem, surely I'll loose all of that stem with larger leaves above it.
    Many thanks again.

9 years ago

That looks nice! What you described (and showed in the 1st pic) is correct to remove a single unsightly leaf. In time, what's left of its' petiole will fall off of the stem.

As a vine, it will naturally grow in length at the tips. When a tip starts to stray out, away from the support pole, you can guide it back down the pole, then back up.

Where a petiole connects to the main stem is called a node. If you remove the newest leaf forming at the tip of a vine, it will be forced to make one or more new ones. The most likely place for this to happen would be at a node where a leaf was previously removed.

The position where there is no natural light is concerning. Unless you have bright fluorescent lights on for at least 8 hours per day, your plant will likely decline in health.

Seeing the inner pot inside the outer pot, it would also be good for you to know that your plant could become ill, from its' roots rotting, if water fills up/stays in the outer pot. For that reason, if possible, it would be healthiest for your plant to be taken to a shower or sink for a drink, then placed back in the outer pot when it's finished dripping.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

If you want your plant look full and bushy, you can cut back the long vines leaving 2-3 leaves on the cutting and stick it back to the soil. This way the vines don't go up and down the pole, but you have several shorter vines which I find better looking.

As purple said it looks nice!

• ICharger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for the replies.
    I water the plant by taking it out of the ceramic pot and placing it it a dish. once i water it ,i wait until i see water draining out then place it in another dish until no more water is draining.
    The hallway light is left on for 10 hours a day, mainly at night,however I am planning on changing the bulb to a florescent.
    Thanks again for the nice comments.
    Would you recommend me cutting the off the petiole close to the stem?
    Kind regards.

9 years ago

The petiole will fall off, and you can trim it closer to the stem. What you describe for watering sounds good.

Looks like your plant is starting to make larger leaves near the top. That's something many people are trying to achieve with their Pothos plants, and would be my hesitation point about cutting it. Definitely a matter of personal preference. Vines offer many options for display and manipulation, to suit the tastes of various plant'sters.

Another option could be adding an additional, taller support pole or trellis.

This is a Philodendron, not the same thing, but a similar vine with an identical habit. It's been wound up/down/around and back for the past few years (and had many cuttings taken from it for sharing.) This is the kind of bushy look possible with that technique, and does require periodic maintenance, the plants don't just do this on their own. Its' trellis is a white wire thing, barely visible under all of the leaves.