Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenliz_gw

What's wrong with my Croton?

jenliz
9 years ago

I'm new to gardening and purchased a Croton from Walmart about 2.5 months ago. I repotted it two weeks later in Miracle grow mix for potted plants. It was doing fine until a few days ago it started dropping leaves from the top of the plant. The leaves looked fine. It's in an eastern facing window and gets about 1.5 to 2 hours of direct light a day. I keep the soil moist.. Not too wet or too dry. And the house is never below 65. It isn't near drafts, and I mist it twice a week. Could I be under watering it? I know with my aloe if you overwater the bottom leaves die.. Or is it not getting enough sun? I don't want it to die :( I live near the beach in maryland in a development surrounded by woods so we don't get an enormous amount of light this time of year.

Comments (8)

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

Looks healthy to me, but brace for dissaproval from other members of miracle grow potting mix.

• jenliz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All my other ones seem happy so far. Is there something else I should be using?

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

I don't think Miracle Grow would make the plant drop leaves, especially in such a short time. But many people don't like MG for a lot of other reasons like root health, drainage, etc...

I remember when I got my croton it was very slow growing and in my research I did read that it does take them a few months to get used to a new home and often they will drop some, sometimes all, their leaves. Mine dropped only one but it was strange because the leaf that dropped was totally normal and the plant was healthy. Hopefully there is a croton expert out there that can tell us.

As for the soil, if you google Al's 5-1-1 you will see tons of info on why most bagged soil from the store sucks, the problems they cause, and what you can do about it.

• jenliz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll definitely check that out thanks! Maybe Ill change the soil come spring then.

But yes, the leaves on mine are perfectly normal as well. Not dried up, no dry edges, not yellow or anything. It's strange.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

I am new to houseplants too, and it is frustrating to find out Miracle Grow, and other bagged potting mixes, are bad for your plants, especially long term. Most people who successfully have houseplants long term mix their own potting medium. Examples are Al's 5-1-1 or his "gritty mix" receipe, or variations of those receipes, etc.

Al has written tons of stuff about why it is important to get your growing medium right. He posts on here as Tapla so you can look for his name while you are doing research. Personally, not all the components of his receipes are available to me, so I had to get creative...I am still not totally happy with my potting mix situation but I'll try to fix that is the spring.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

IMO Crotons drop their leaves when there is a change in their water supply (more or less than what they're used to), also as a reaction to the amount of sun and changes in temps.
    The dropped leaves will regrow, no need to worry. Mine lost all but one and it is nice and bushy now. Don't forget less leaves = less water needed.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

Your Croton, a Petra, looks fine. But let the soil dry out between waterings. Don't keep it damp. You should water this no more than 3 times a week and don't let the water sit in the dish.

As far as soli goes, Crotons will grow in many different soils. High organic content and fast draining is the key, though.

• jenliz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I feel a lot better now. I was getting worried. It's the only one I'm having trouble with.. Aside of my aloe, but I watered that too much. It's doing better now.