Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orangemouse

Proper Use of Terra cotta Saucers?

orangemouse
9 years ago

Hi gardeners--
I recently got some terra cotta trays for some of my houseplants, which are in a combo of glazed clay and unglazed terra cotta. Upon slipping the trays under my pots, I noticed that there was a lot that I didn't know about their proper use.

How do you properly use a terra cotta tray?

Should I raise my pots within these trays with pebbles or something? I noticed my trays are flat and that where the bottom rim of my pots touches the tray there are no holes/pathways for water to flow. Will the terra cotta trays stick to the terra-cotta pots if they are not separated in some way? Is that a bad thing? Do you need to provide separation for water to drain from the pots properly?

Can a terra cotta tray do, um, damage to its surroundings (hardwood floors or rugs or furniture)? Do they need to be separated from these surfaces with plastic trays or cork or felt or something? Or would that actually interfere with the airflow that makes them function?

Are there plants that would benefit more from terra cotta trays than others? (I have a range of indoor plants, from a gigantic kahili ginger, trifoliate orange and ichang lemon seedlings to coffee and cacao seedlings, and more common money trees, dracaena, and pony tail palms and philodendrons, snake plants and zz plants, etc.)

Thanks for reading through my questions--I had no idea how little I knew about something so seemingly plain and simple until I tried to apply it to my plants!

Would love to hear about your experiences/tricks/techniques!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio