Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A new plant.....my first Orchid!

Posted by greenman28 Nor Cal 7/8 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 16:15

Hello, everyone!

I wanted to share a couple pics of my first Orchid. This one is incredibly special to me, and I think you'll see why... ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A new plant.....my first Orchid!

Josh, how funny!! lol
The orchid was meant for you, and yes, it's special.
There's a succulent called hopeful, lol, ended up in my collection.
But yours is way too weird.

Are you going to plant in orchid bark? The soil looks heavy.
Do you know what STMA stands for? Toni

o

Hey, Toni!
It's growing in pure Moss, no soil at all. It's very light.
I'll re-pot it when the the roots begin to clamber over the sides of the container ;)

STMA stands for Stellamizutaara, I believe.

STELLAMIZUTAARA (Brassavola x Cattleya x Laelia x Broughtonia). Josh Green 'Kaaawa'

For years I thought it was lost. But my Grandpa has been propagating a few lately.
When he visited, I asked if he would send me one...and sure enough, he did!

So now I have my personal Orchid :)
I'll see if I can find a picture of an old bloom.

Josh

o

Congrats Josh...I can certainly see why its very special to you! How cool is that! Looking forward to a picture of what the blooms will look like. I don't have the best luck growing Orchids, but I'm sure yours will do just great...Enjoy!

o

Thanks, Nancy!

I hope I can manage to grow this one well...and maybe get it to bloom, too!
Here's a pic of what the bloom should eventually look like:

Photobucket

This is the orchid named after my mother:

Photobucket

And this is the orchid named after my brother:

Photobucket

o

Beautiful family you have there, Josh!

I finally dove into orchids recently, finding a Potinaria and large Phal at Lowe's clearance for $2, and a dendrobium at my grocery store reduced to $1.99. If only I can get them through the winter indoors!

Take good care of your orchid. What a tragedy it would be to kill a plant named after you!

Christopher

o

Hi Josh!
How exciting!! :)

Congrats on your new Orchid. ;)

Is this a hybrid your granfather created? I'm not real familer with orchids.

Or does it just happen to have your name, and hard to find.

No plants that I know of with my name, but we do have a JoJo's Ice cream. LOL!

It's beautiful, the whole "family" is.
Best wishes, looking forward to flowers!

HI Christopher!
Good luck with yours! I tried them last feb. and we didn't get along to well. LOL! I will again when I find some on clearance. :)
JoJo

o

Josh, I assume your grandfather created your Orchid. Is created the correct word?? :)
Amazing. Wonder if flower colors have meaning to your grandpa. For instance, your moms color is soft and frilly, your brothers is red with a hint of orange... Bold.
Yours is purple/lavender. Are you sensitive? Intuitive?

Maybe you got your love for plants from family. You're very lucky having a relative who can teach you.
For instance. How does one create a hybrid?

Sorry for the questions, but does he keep mature orchids in Peat? Most of my orchids are in Orchid Mix, but I've talked to people who use other mediums, including Perlite. Mine live, but don't flower as often as they should.

Anyway, flowers are lovely. I'll never remember the botanical names though..lol..

Jojo, lol, Ice Cream, yummy..good enough.. :) Toni

o

Thank you, Chris!
It would be a shame, indeed, to lose this one. Then again, my grandpa's lost a few
over the years, so I won't feel like too much of a failure if I don't succeed on my first try.

JoJo, yes, this hybrid is particular to me ;)
You know I'll post a parade of images if I can get this orchid to bloom!

Hey, Toni!
Yes, my grandpa hybridizes orchids. He's named orchids after all of our relatives,
but I only have pics of these. My grandpa also gave me a copy of the latest re-printing of
his book Orchids in Hawaii (I'm not promoting or selling, just providing citation for the pic).
These orchids are grown in the fluffy, long strand Sphagnum moss, not the decayed peat moss from bogs...
just wanted to make sure that was absolutely clear.

I definitely got my love of plants from my grandpa and my dad. Over in the Hoya Forum, I mentioned that
my dad and my grandpa collected the Hoya diptera var. vanuatuensis that is growing in my living room.
Sadly, my grandpa visited the island recently, and he discovered that the giant banyan tree, from which
the Hoya was collected, has finally died. Alas, all things of this world must pass.

Back to orchids....here's a pic from the book - note the softer colors on the old hybrid:

Photobucket

o

Josh!

How cool is that!Nice family you have there, and having a special "Orchid" is something not to many of us get to expereince..I can not even remember the last time an orchid was givin to me as a gift..How nice is that?

As Pug says, I am positive that thing will be putting out flowers quicker than you think with your ability to make many rare and unique things grow..

I have some highly priced bark nuggets I got from an orchids grower that got this from Germany, I think..If you want a bag full, I will be glad to send it..It out last's anything else you could use and the bark is as smooth as silk. He says you can not buy it anywhere he knows of..
I have enough for my own..:-)

Hello Nancy, Chris, Toni, and Jojo!

Have a special day and we shall all chat soon..Be safe and warm..:-))))

Mike

o

Howdy, Mike! ;)

Thanks for the offer, but you should hold onto those bark nuggests! You've been so generous already!
I'm going to collect some local Ponderosa Pine bark to make my own custom blend when it comes time to re-pot.

Talk to you guys later!

Josh

o

Hey, Josh, it's way too cool to have your "own" orchid. I'm sure it will bloom in no time under your care.

Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 8:59

Hmmm - I (thought I) posted a reply to your thread Wed, Josh, but somehow it never made it here. I remember wishing you, and all, a Happy Thanksgiving, so I guess I'll just say I hope you and everyone else HAD a happy Thanksgiving ..... and that you're feeling better. I also mentioned that Nancy took the words right out of my mouth: Your own named cultivar - how cool is that!? Photobucket

Al

o

Josh, granmpa must be doing well..only 2 books left and more coming in..don't know if the store should be named.
Wish I had read this thread earlier. An hour or so I placed book orders, enough for free shipping. Next time, if in stock, I'll pick up a copy.

I was hoping 'the store' would allow a peek, like they do w/other books, but no dice.
130 pages, at that price is a bargain, and the description is right up my alley. :)
New Edition meaning 2005?
There IS quite a difference in color.
BTW, does 'High Stick' sound familiar?

Never heard of Hoya diptera var. If you haven't yet done so, can you post a picture?

I've never been to HI. If I got a chance, I'd probably stay..lol..
There used to be a tv show where a Hawaiian woman exorcised, off the ocean, on sand, barefoot...I'd watch this show for scenery. Very blue sky, ocean waves, clean sand, and a breeze blowing the few plants nearest the water. It was beautiful.

Yep, everything comes to an end..very sad.

o

Hi, guys and gals!
Al, thanks for stopping by! I'm feeling better, but my jaw still aches when the meds are wearing off...
I'm eating more throughout the day, though, and I've been a bit more active, too.

Xuan and Al, I am pretty excited about having this named plant in my possession finally...!
I've never grown an orchid before - always admired them from afar. If it blooms, I'll post pics
to this Thread.

Toni, you are right, yes! The 2005 edition, that's it! Tell me more about 'High Stick'...

Hawaii is nice for a visit...but the humidity kills me...and then there are those giant mosquitos....

Toni, I'll link to the Hoya Thread for pics of H. vanuatuensis. It's the first picture shown.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenman's Hoyas

o

Josh!!!!!!!!!!

I just come back from visiting your Hoya thread and I am speechless!!!

Amazing, beautiful and gorgoues just to name a few words that describe your plants and the deck. What the heck?
You even get Hoya's to flower? How in the world did you clean off all the aphids and how do you trim these since buds form on the vines, I think?

That is the one question I have since most of that thread covered everything else..Josh, I am in love with the yellow one!

Thank you for posting that thread too!

Mike

o

Hey, Mike! Thanks!
Honestly, I just let nature take its course with the aphids....
that Hoya is covered in bright orange aphids right now. I use a wet paper towel to smash
the aphids if I find an especially thick concentration of them on a leaf or tendril.
There's really just no good solution, other than constant upkeep and rinsing.

The most irritating thing about the aphids on the Hoya is that they spread to my pepper plants,
which I eventually *do* have to treat with a safe soap, water, and alcohol mixture.

That Hoya is so vigorous that I freely prune it, regardless of the peduncles I might be removing.
For me, it blooms a couple times a year without fail.

Josh

o

Good luck with yours! I tried them last feb. and we didn't get along to well. LOL! I will again when I find some on clearance. :)
JoJo

You will likely be better off, Jojo, spending the extra money and getting a plant from a reputable vendor. I'd actually recommend doing an internet search for an orchid show in your area. Typically up here there is a show a month from January through May in different parts of the state. All of the shows have vendors selling plants and supplies as well as "seminars" on different aspects of orchid care. I certainly can't speak for shows held in AZ, but here in MI there is no admission fee for the shows nor for attending the talks. Not surprisingly, the bigger shows tend to have more vendors with a greater variety of plants to choose from. The problem with getting "clearance" orchids from the BBSs, is that 1) the plants are often potted in some of the worst medias for most home growers to use; and 2) the plants are generally too far gone to make them worth the trouble of saving -- especially if you are very new to the orchid hobby.

You even get Hoya's to flower? How in the world did you clean off all the aphids and how do you trim these since buds form on the vines, I think?

That's not necessarily much of mystery, Mike. While I only have four Hoyas, only one of them has proven to be problematic to bloom. With that one it is most likely a lack of sufficient light(which is also often the case with orchids that refuse to bloom). As for trimming, you do that like you do with any vining plant. Yes the flowers do emerge off the vine but the peduncles (from which the flowers develop) can form from any portion of the vine. So if trimming is needed, just cut. Haven't had any bug problems on mine yet, but mine stay indoors year round so that may help.

Congrats on the named orchid -- that is too cool! I would recommend taking it out of the sphag though. While some chids can be grown quite well in sphag, catts generally don't. They tend to develop root rot as sphag tends to stay too wet and often does not allow enough air circulation. In any event, you may want to put it in a clear pot. That would enable you to keep an eye on the health of the roots more easily.

o

That is SO awesome Josh!! Lucky you and all your relatives. I LOVE the color of the Orchid named after you, just beautiful! Tell your Grandpa he can certainly name the next one after me,lol....:o)

o

Don't mean to hijack your delightful post, Josh, but I have to disagree with Paul. My Phal from Lowe's in a 7" clay pot for $2 was in very good condition other than the fact it was no longer in bloom. I checked the roots and they were quite healthy overall. And my $1.99 Dendrobium had an excellent root system.

For those of us who don't have the "extra money" these clearance sales can be a less painful way to develop a new obsession. Media can be replaced. And if my clearance orchids do all thrive, I will value them far more than if I paid full price from Lowe's or a so-called "reputable dealer."

Christopher

o

Less painful, Christopher IF you happen to get one with a decent root system, and IF you know enough about them to replace the media. However, IME, the plants rarely have a decent root system left by that point and many newbies mistakenly assume that the media those orchids generally arrive in is okay and so do not repot it into something more suitable.

As far as valuing the clearance orchids go -- the more power to you. Personally there is rarely anything orchid-wise the BBSs around me have that I would bother with. But then too I have been doing orchids for years and at this point prefer things that are a bit more different than what is commonly offered at the BBSs.

o

Josh.. High Stick is a book written by Mr. Green..same name.
No description about the book...Not even a genre.

Humidity isn't too much of a problem..now Giant Mosqitos. No thanks. Blood-sucking mini's are bad enough!

Oh, I remember your Hoya..It's a giant. So beautiful. It's the largest and most compact Hoya I've ever seen.

Josh, I don't know anything about Aphids. Do they fly? If so, please try Sticky Traps. Can't recall if yellow or blue attracts Aphids, but the info can be researched easily enough by Googling.

Pug, LOL...too funny.

Paul, 1/4 of my plants came from what I call, 'the dead cart,' or simply, cheap plants.
I'm not an Orchid expert, but those I got are alive and well. One Den was bought for 1.00, in 1999. A few others were HD or Ebay discounts. 1-15 yrs old. This past summer, they were repotted in true orchid pots; their roots were healthy and full.
On the other hand, I've bought a few plants past my budget, only to have them die a few days after arrival.
I admit, there's no way I'd bring home a mealy-infested plant...even if it was free. lol.
In some cases, 'you get what you pay for,' is myth. Toni

o

Hey, guys!
I appreciate all the info that you're sharing!
At some point I'll have to re-pot this Orchid, and this'll make a great reference.

Toni, the adult aphids do fly.
I use yellow sticky paper later in the season when the flyers become a real nuisance.
Mainly, I hang the sticky paper from the light-bar on my grow-light seedling set-up.
Although I keep my pepper seedlings separate from all other plants, the aphids eventually
find them. I treat my pepper seedlings every few days with water and soap.

Right now, all I can do is smash the aphids with a damp paper towel.

Oh, I'll see what I can scare up about High Stick.

Josh

o

Hello and Happy New Year!

I was very unhappy with the rate at which the Sphagnum was drying, so I re-potted completely...
and, boy, am I glad I did! The roots were shriveled, nigh upon rotten.

Paul, your recommendation was a good one.

As soon as the Orchid was re-potted, it literally began to show new growth.
I hope all goes well now that it's in a bark-based mix.

I haven't told my grandpa yet....I was hoping to wait for a bloom ;)

Josh

o

Hello!
And a Happy New Year to everyone!

Josh,
I'm sure your Orchid will do well in it's new mix and your care!
Looking forward to updates. ;-)
JoJo

o

Thanks, JoJo!

...pics! I knew I was forgetting something ;)

Josh

o

Giggle..
We'll blame it on the busy Holiday's and let you slide. ;-)

Back later. ;-)
JoJo

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 4:31

Hey, Josh! I'm not a frequent visitor to this particular forum, but I had occasion to be passing through... and I couldn't help but notice this particular thread!

How absolutely exciting to have a plant named after you! And how cool is that... to have a Grandfather who hybridizes orchids! Most awesome!

I wish I'd have seen this thread sooner... I'd have recommended a medium change right off the bat! In my northern indoor growing environment, I've never had anything good come from growing in plain sphagnum moss. The only use I've found for it, actually, is for loosely wrapping the root areas of small keikis or backbulbs with a few strands, in order to keep a little moisture at that area. When roots appear, however, I remove the moss and re-pot into a rendition of the Gritty Mix.

I'm actually considering a more semi-hydroponic growth method for my orchids. The environment is simply too dry for most other methods to be effective... and no, light is not the issue. ;-)

The orchids in your photos are simply gorgeous! I wish you the best with your orchids... and hope you'll provide more lovely photographs!

o

Jodi, thank you!
It's nice to see you here, o worthy visitor! ;)
My grandpa is an amazing man, and I'm glad he's still around to share his talents.

Thanks also for the patience of those who've been waiting for pics!

Here are just a few pics to reward your patience:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Hey Josh, NICE Orchid and the mix looks terrific for your Orchid. I'm sure blooms are not far behind. Thanks for the photos.

o

Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 17:40

Wonderful closeups, Josh! Is that new growth I see in the second photo?

Your medium looks almost exactly like mine... with a couple of minor differences, mainly ingredient-wise. Our home is so dry, though, that I'm experimenting with using hydroton and clear containers modified for semi-hydroponics.

Now, are you sure you're giving them enough light? Because that's the single most limiting factor from what I keep reading...

I'll try to post photos of my semi-hydroponic adventure, as soon as I have the time to do so... in the meantime, nice growing, Josh!

o

• Posted by tapla zone 5b-6a Mid-M (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 18:47

Strong work, Josh - as usual! You always do such a good job with your plants, and it's always a joy to see them. Thanks!

Al

o

Hello!
I'm not sure Josh considers me one of the patient ones or not. lol! Love you Photo's Josh!

Jodi~ Good points made as always. ;-)
Good to see you! Al~you too!

Josh,
Thanks for posting! Can't wait to see it bloom!

The mix looks great and it's growing strong!

JoJo

o

Pug, thank you!
If this baby blooms, I'll post pics pronto!

Hey, Jodi, that purple nub is new growth, indeed!
I'm telling you, it literally appeared within a day or two after re-potting.
I hope the plant recuperates and thrives. I've given it the best seat in the house,
so if it isn't getting enough light...well, there ain't nothin' to be done for it! ;)
With the potting mix and the fertilization covered, I *hope* that light is the current
limiting factor. Thanks for the chuckle, Jodi ;)

Thanks, Al, I appreciate your kind words.
I have you to thank for teaching me about all these ingredients, and various combinations.
I feel much more comfortable when I water this Orchid now.

JoJo...you know I had to give you some reason to check back? ;)
I couldn't just give it all away at once; I had to set my lure so I could get my hooks in.

Thanks again!

Josh

o

ROFL!

Your such a tease Josh!

Well, you got this fish... Hook line and sinker! LOL!

We'll see what happens next time you cast. ;-)

Got a chuckle from Jodi too. :-)

JoJo

o

Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 15:10

In my experience, Josh, orchids are the slowest plants to show displeasure or any negatives. This is why we seldom realize there's a problem wrapped up within the moss... we can't see the roots rotting and dying. By the time we notice anything happening above soil level, it's frequently too late to save the orchid. This is one of the reasons I stay away from the more mossy mediums for orchids.

New growth like that is a very good sign, though... and I couldn't resist throwing a pun at you. ;-)

My dry environment limits the types of orchids I can successfully grow, but all of my Dendrobiums are doing very well in a rendition of Al's Mix. It's my Phals I'll be moving into the semi-hydroponics.

I can't wait to see your orchid in flower! They're so lovely... does yours have a scent?

o

Josh, did you ever look into, 'High Stick?'

Who suggested potting in Sphagnum? Orchid mix is best, packaged or home-made. There are a few Specialty packed Potting Soils, w/fine and/or larger bark. It's a tad costly.

The last pic you posted, orchid in bark, looks perfect. Can't do better. It'll need more water and fertilizer. Don't know if orchids should be fertilized in winter..I need an answer for my own, newly potted orchids.

o

Hey, there!

Yes, I looked into 'High Stick' and couldn't find any reference to it at all.

My grandpa sent this Orchid to me in Sphagnum, and he told me to leave it potted until
it started to climb out of the pot. But after weeks of damp moss, I had to re-pot it.
I knew that the Sphagnum just wasn't working....that's the difference between growing in
the open in Hawaii, and growing in wintry northern California.
I still haven't told my grandpa yet...I don't want him to disown me ;)

Thanks for the compliments on the mix.
I added Osmocote slow-release to the mix directly, and I've been fertilizing with a reduced
dose of Foliage Pro. I water every few days now, once the mix has had a chance to dry out.

Things seem to be going well, but I won't count my chickens before they've hatched.

Josh

o

Josh, I found High Stick on Amazon.

Maybe it's best you don't tell your grandfather. If he asks, put it mildly..he'd prefer honesty.
Yes, there's a BIG difference in locations. Of course, that's how I feel about CA vs IL..lol..

Nope, don't count your chickens before they're hatched, and don't count your pollination before ovules can be fertilized. :))

o

High Stick...
Ah, there I found it. A book about Ice Hockey....nope, definitely not my grandpa! ha!

If you or I had a greenhouse, we might possibly get away with growing in Sphagnum....
but since we don't, a bark-based mix is best for nearly every other region of the U.S.

California is a special place, but you must keep in mind the wildly divergent zones we have.
I can't grow most southern California plants outdoors, nor some of the cool weather Maples.
I can't even grow some of the citrus that are outdoors just 25 minutes down the road.

There are so many factors to consider:
I live at 39 degrees latitude north, but in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas (rainy western side).
Then, of course, there is the great Pacific ocean that levies its influence upon us.
This is a State of unique micro-climates, indeed.

Josh

o

Hi Josh,

Is that why just about every Orchid I've tried that was in long sphag has died on me? Mostly Phals & Dendrobium. I know once or twice I might have gotten water in the crown, by not every single time.

Turns out the one Orchid I was able to keep alive for a year (but didn't rebloom) was an intergneric hybrid (EpileilioCatleya) which came potted in rocks & seemed to love it.

Next couple I WILL try in bark mix!

o

Josh, ROFL!!! Doubt your grandpa is into hockey. lol
When I typed in his name, two books w/same author names popped up. If you happened to open the page, there was very little information..had I scrolled down, I'd have seen High Stick was a sports book. lolol.

At our local conservatory, they attach orchids/broms to tree branches...orchid roots are inside sphagnum sheets.
But the humidity is 100%..

Karen there's some really nice Orchid blends..HD even sells mixes for different types of orchids. It's probably similar to other Orchid blends except for price which ranges from 2-3.00 per bag more.

o

Hey, Karen.

Please do try out a bark mix...and let us know!
I'd even be willing to make some of this mix to send to you, if the ingredients are scarce in NY.
You know what they say...the first sample is free, then you're addicted ;)

This is my first Orchid, so my practical experience is very limited.

Josh

o

Sat, Jan 8, 11 at 12:24

Josh, knowing what I know about you and your growing practices, I can't imagine you'll fail at orchid growing! You've got all the information down pat, already.

The only differences between orchids and some of the other plants we grow are the percentage of humidity and the amount of light they prefer. Catts require a lot of light, and they like more humidity than the average home provides, especially in winter. I'd take Al's advice on humidity trays of gravel with a fan moving over them to help the evaporation process.

Most orchids are epiphytes, while most of the other plants we grow are terrestrial in nature. However, we've taken them out of a natural habitat, so the rules of container gardening apply... if you know what I mean. :-)

I live in a very dry indoor environment, and I grow Dendrobiums and Phals without too much effort. They're in a rendition of gritty mix, although I'm hoping to move them into a semi-hydroponic way of growing, which should provide more of the missing humidity.

You'll do fine, Josh... :-)

o

Time for an update? ;-)

I know...the kitchen sink makes for a lousy background, but that's where I was watering this morning...

I've noticed an increase in roots near the surface of the mix, and I'm hoping to see some of those large,
white, above-soil-level roots climbing out of the pot soon.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Hi Josh,
Thanks for the update! Don't worry aobut the sink, i've seem much worse in backgrounds. ;-)

It looks great! A new stem! Wow! and I see the little root you mentioned. I love the way the roots look when they climb out . Cant wait to see yours!
Any idea of how long before it blooms?
Looking forward to the next update! :-)
JoJo

o

Hey Josh..Well, 'Josh Green' has really grown since the last time you posted.
Also, the bottom of each leaf, 'sorry, don't know the name,' has thickened, firmed, at least, 1.5 x's. Have you noticed?
If you look at an older photo, you'll see what I mean.

Did you fertilize during winter months? Very nice, Toni

o

The new growth (pseudo-bulb)will be your flowers this fall/winter. The old bulbs do not grow anymore but store nutrients and support the newest growth.

The newest growth will grow toward the light. If you want to have it grow straight up, turn your plant so the newest growth is furthest from the window. It will turn toward the sunlight. Concentrate your efforts on that new growth with lots of light and food over the summer. It will reward you with flowers.

Good luck,
Jane

o

Thanks, JoJo, for being so forgiving of my 'background' ;-)

Hi, Toni, thank you! I have noticed that the plant has grown/thickened, with more and more
roots emerging from beneath the soil...which is good, since the roots looked awful when I
re-potted it! I still have my fingers crossed, since this is my first orchid. Oh, and yes, I have
been lightly fertilizing all Winter long. I flush the mix well every few weeks, too.

Hey, Jane, thanks for the info.
I guess you can tell which direction the plant faces. I have it in the brightest window in the house.
Actually, the old bulb nearest the window has become slightly yellowish to my eye, and I was
wondering if this indicates too much light? Also, will turning the orchid cause any distortion
or damage to the new pseudo-bulb?

Josh

o

Turning it won't damage the pseudo-bulb at all but will cause a curve. I can't tell, from your angle, how long the new growth is.

The problem with letting them lean out sideways, they can get bumped and if you can visualize, the flower spike will come straight out at that same angle. It will make the flower look sideways.

Its hard for me to tell how sideways the growth is. If you could get another shot. But it appears you have more room for it to grow so I would start to turn the pot. It will start to curve toward the window. You want the most sun on that growth, but do it gradually. Ideally, you want your flower going up, not sideways.

But, you've done a great job growing, and you will get a feel for how these plants operate.

I dug around for a photo of one of mine (I've had a few that went sideways). I strung it up and forced it up. It didn't stay that way, but it kept the flowers from getting knocked off. Some of these Catts have a mind of their own and grow in weird directions. That's why, in my next life, I'll have a greenhouse with overhead sunlight.

Photobucket

Good job!
Jane

o

Ah, I see what you mean about the sideways flower.

I turned the plant around and I'll watch how it grows toward the light from here on out.
I left it for as long as I did out of fear that the new growth would react poorly to the change.
I should have known better...since I turn all my other plants to keep them balanced.

The pseudo-bulb is about 4 inches long, and emerging at a 35 degree angle.

Josh

o

You have time, it will curve around. You probably have another month or so. You can ease to an upright position by slowly putting pressure on it in the opposite direction with soft twine or a book, etc.

It is still soft and growing, you have time to get it to change direction. Turning the pot should do it.

The yellow leaf is from an old psudobulb. It will eventually lose that leaf, but the bulb will remain and should not be removed. You have a division from a larger plant. Your plant has the minimum amount of growths for flowers. Don't be discouraged if this growth doesn't flower. That would be normal. It probably will as you are giving it good conditions.

I can't tell where the root is coming from, almost looks like the old bulb. That would be unusual. All roots should be coming from the new growth. Must be the angle of the shot.

During this growth period, you need to fertilize regularly. I like a high N during this period. Don't overwater, and feed lightly with each watering. Give it good light. In summer, you can move it outside to increase the light.

Have fun!

Jane

o

It looks great, Josh! I'm glad you updated us... I was curious as to how it was doing for you! Nice work! :-)

Nothing wrong with the kitchen sink... especially when it's such a clean, modern one! Not even a hint of mineral deposit or food particles! ;-)

o

Hey Josh. I've been hunting for H. Sigillatis.
Last night, while browsing different sites, who's name do I come across? Not one but two different sites.
Ted Green.
At first I thought..Who is this man? Where have I heard the name? Then it hit me. lol.

Josh, what type of Orchid do you have? I scrolled up to your Mar 10 pic...the tag said, STMA. Couldn't figure what the initials stood for.
How old does this type take before its first bud/bloom and how many times per year will it flower?

I don't know much about Orchids, only the very basics. Mostly Phals and Vanilla. Even with the two mentioned, I have no idea when or if they need repotting. Toni

o

Thanks, Jodi, I like a clean kitchen sink! ;-)
I can't tolerate dishes piling up...I hate reaching into old dishwater to remove silverware.

Hey, Toni, welcome back! Scroll up to the top, third post, right after yours ;-)

Would you all believe it, but it's snowing right now...the temps dropped and the rain turned to snow!
Very nice for a mid-March day!

Josh

o

Hi,
WoW what fantastic orchids.......
I'm impressed Josh a orchid named after you...
and Josh who looks at the back ground with that beauty in the picture...but I did go back and look..dang that is one clean sink...;) (I now what you mean about dirty dishes lefted in the sink, thats my sink everyday can't get others in the house to clean up after themselves)
congrats on the orchid and good growing.....linda

o

Hey Josh!

Such a great looking orchid my friend! I knew the day you got it that it would respond well to your care! I just love that plant and can not wait to see, in fact, see many others besides this one bloom for you.

Please let us be the first to see it flower. It would be an honor!

o

Mike, assuredly you'll be the first to see it bloom! ;-)

Thanks, Linda, I'm lucky to have a grandpa in the industry!
I try to clean my dishes as soon as I use them...doesn't always happen, but I try.
I'm a big fan of the one cup, one bowl, one fork, one spoon set-up ;-)

Josh

o

Josh, paper plates, plastic spoon, fork, knife. lol, j/k.
I can't stant piled up dishes either..yuck.

The day you got snow, temps were in the 60's here. :)
This morning T-Storms, but not in the 60's. It better not drop too much, my Gardenia's outside.

Does your grandpa deal in variegated Orchids?

o

Hey, Toni, if there are variegates available, I'm sure he deals 'em ;-)
What are some examples of variegated orchids? I'll see if they're available.

For general reference, I wanted to add more on the pedigree of the 'Josh Green' orchid:
Ctna Maui Maid x Bc Donna Kimura

Josh

o

Just under a month from the last update pic...
No, it's not outdoors! We had snow yesterday...and the nights are 30F lately ;-)
I only took the pic outside for lighting purposes. Lots of new roots diving through the mix.

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh! Look at how healthy that plant is doing..Amazing and the growth is telling.

What kind of mix did you put it into again, please? It looks great and such a beautiful addition to your family Josh.

I just put up my permanent greenhouse and I can't wait to fill it with a few of these..

Bravo.

By the way, we will catch up about the citrus:-)

Mike

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 10:10

Looks great, Josh! I hope you get your spring back soon. ;-) We had our first rehearsal for summer yesterday with temps near 70. Warmer today, they say, but cloudy - a great day for repotting.

Good growing!!

Al

o

Thank you, Mike and Al!
Al, I'm hoping our weather does warm toward Spring soon!
April's known to be chilly, though.... :-(

Mike, thank you, Senor! ;-)
For the mix, I went with a very simple mix of screened Fir bark, Perlite, and Pumice (Scoria).
I can't wait to see your greenhouse...you deserve it, finally!

Josh

o

Most awesome, Josh! I can't wait to see it in bloom... it should really be something! :-)

Catts don't seem to like the environment I have to provide, but my Dens are kicking butt! I'll have to get some current photos taken...

Great growing!

o

Thanks, Jodi!
Like you, I can only provide my plants with a standard environment...
no special lighting or humidity...if they can't handle it, they're out of luck, unfortunately.

When I first received this Orchid, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to provide
what it needed - and when I re-potted, I had to cross my fingers. But now that we've
passed Winter, my confidence is growing a bit....

Josh

o

HI Josh!

It looks wonderful!! Really growing right along! I bet your grandfather is proud!

I'm afraid of heights, so next time can you set it someplace lower to take the photo! LOL!!!

This weekend was more like Dec. for us! High of 42 and rain on sat. :-(

JoJo

o
....my first bloom!

Greetings, friends! The moment that I've been waiting for has finally arrived!

Yesterday, the first ruffles of the bloom began to show, and this morning the petals had opened!
I will post more pics as the colors deepen and mature...but I think this will give an idea of how
brilliant the bloom is. At long last....what a relief. A second bud is opening, too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Gosh Josh, super exciting, congratulations to you. The color is pretty spectacular too! Great job growing it!!!

o

Thanks very much, Karen! I'm stoked! :-)

Josh

o

Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 14:04

Lol - FANTASTIC - sooo cool! Is this the plant named after you - I cant remember? I'd be pumped, too!

Al

o

You got it, Al! This is the 'Joshua Green' Orchid!
I give a great deal of credit to the gritty mix in which it's growing. Wet it and forget it!
Thanks, Sir!

Josh

o

That's exactly the mix I am going to use on mine pal!

Good growing and what wonderful colors! Almost as colorful as your personality!lol

Love this thread Josh. Thank you! What a wonderful surprise and gift. I don't even think your grandpa was sure it would flower for you, remember?

Mike:-))))))

o

Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 15:46

You're too modest - you should mention the plant is named after you every chance you get. We'd all know you were just excited & not bragging! I hope it lasts & lasts for you!

Later

Al

o

Thank you, Mike! I was excited to see your surprise blooms at the Orchid Forum, too! ;-)
I e-mailed my Grandpa this morning to share the second open bloom. Still waiting for his reply.

Al, I think I'll take that advice and mention 'my' Orchid more often ;-)

Here are two more pics that I snapped this morning.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh! I had a quick second to mention this!

Not only did you defy growing such a beautiful orchid FLOWER in that fast amount of time in such a great homemade mix which I am going to make this week for my seedlings, but you also managed to do that without TIGHT ROOTS!

Yes, it looks like there is more room for root growth, no roots sticking out of that pot and it still bloomed. So much for having to keep orchids roots very tight to promote blooms:-) Josh Greene looks very comfortable in there.:-)

Good growing Sir!

Mike

o

Thanks, Mike!

You're right, there's plenty of room in there! However, I won't be dividing this plant until it starts
to spill out of the pot....so I guess it will be somewhat pot-bound before I re-pot. As can be seen, and
as you mentioned, no foot-binding necessary for this beauty to bloom.

Just a very minor correction for posterity's sake....my last name is 'Green' like the color ;-)
Don't worry, folks add the silent 'e' all the time. I only make an issue of it when legal documents
are concerned.

Well, I heard back from my Grandpa, and he said that mine bloomed better than his this year.
He also said my gold-embossed certificate would be coming in the mail....so I reminded him that
I can't technically be considered an expert until I've killed 200 Orchids. Hehehe....

He also added the information that the tall stem and round flower come courtesy of the Broughtonia sanguinea
ancestry.

Josh

o
RE: AA new plant.....my first Orchid!

Oh, Josh Green..lol And how long have we been friends?

Don't forget that I have been known to make a lot of mistakes after just one drink.lol

I'll bet he is very proud of you. Maybe he should give your mix a try. He just might like it! I would love to see what a certificate looks like for a beauty like that. By the way, can you link me to his site to consider buying a plant or two?

How many plants have you killed in your past life anyway?lol

Nite my friend. Now I have to run.

o

Very impressive, Josh! Congratulations! Very nice flowers, bet you feel so proud! Now, if only I could get one of MY orchids to bloom again...

Here is MY biggest success, a Zygo, but nothing compared to your very own orchid!

Good job, my friend!

Christopher

o

Hello, Mike and Christopher!

Sorry about the late reply....e-mail notifications are no longer appearing for this Thread....
you know how it is with GardenWeb!

I've never been much into blooms, really. I sort of thought of them as icing on the cake.
But it is fun to wait and wait and wait for buds to develop, hoping they don't blast,
and finally watching them open. It is nice to have some color during the Winter, eh?

Christopher, is yours blooming right now?

Josh

o

Hi Josh:

I see your point. I do love the look of some orchids when not in bloom. I'm a sucker for a nice pseudobulb. None of my half dozen or so orchids is blooming, the Zygo photo is from late last summer.

So Josh, by the way, how many Josh Green orchids exist?

Christopher

o
Blooms

Hey!
I'm not even sure if mine will bloom reliably at this time of year, or if it's blooming now
because of the re-potting and acclimation over the summer. Maybe it'll bloom toward
the end of summer next year.

Chris, do you mean are there any of these sold around the world?
If so, I assure you that I don't know. That is a great question, though.

Josh

o

Hi Josh,

This is the first time i have seen your beautiful bloom from this spectacular named variety!!!

I agree, you should always indicate the name given. What an honor it is to have your Grandfather give such a gift..

The color is just beautiful...

Congratulations on your gorgeous blooms!!!

Thank you for sharing this special occasion!!!

Im sure your relatives are just as proud!!

Great job!!!

Laura

o

Josh and Christopher..Beautiful flower colors.

Josh, you posted this thread 11/2010 when your granda first sent you O. Josh.
Did you say it's bloomed twice since 2010?

BTW, What a view! Looks so peaceful. Toni

o

Well, a hearty welcome, Laura!
I'm glad to be able to share a bloom with you for once! ;-)

Heya, Toni! Nope, this is the first bloom while I've had it.
The view is very peaceful...I look out over a third of an acre of grass and green moss,
garden and flower garden, grove of black bamboo, and finally to a seasonal creek.

Josh

o

Hi Josh, Laura, Toni!

Yes Josh, that is what I meant. Wonder if there is someone in Australia or Japan right now admiring their Josh Green orchid?

Christopher

o

Chris! I meant to e-mail my Grandpa about that last night!
I will definitely find out.....stay tuned! ;-)

Josh

o

I'm back....
Chris, a couple flasks of these Orchids were sold to two growers 15 years ago.
No telling how far they went from there. But, theoretically, they're out there....

Josh

o

Howdy,

Josh, sorry about that. I read above, 'I emailed my grandpa this morning to share the second open bloom,' took it the wrong way.

BTW, how's your moms and brothers orchids doing? Have they yet flowered?

Country life! You and others who live on large pieces of land with scenic views, despite direction, are blessed.
We're not in the country, by far, but Brookfield isn't a large city either. So unlike Chicago.
After moving out of the city, away from congestion, over-population and smog, I felt we were closer to Mother Nature. Toni

o

Hey, Toni, I thought that might have caused confusion...I was going to clarify.
Yep, I meant the second of the two buds on this particular flower. You got it now ;-)

As for the other Orchids in my "family"....they are long lost, unfortunately. Something happened
to my brother's, and that is the only picture we have that it ever existed. I don't know what happened
with my mom's Orchid. Maybe I can find out more.

I love living in a semi-rural area. I can access the city any time I like, but I'm not stuck with the smog
and the streetlights and the unsavory characters. I would prefer more property, but that's for the future.

Josh

o

And the parade continues... ;-)

I took the Orchid outside for this picture. No, it isn't warm enough to stay outdoors yet.

The bloom is fully saturated with color now, and I'm enjoying the subtle fragrance.
I hope it lasts for a long time!

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh!

I can't believe the difference in color too. Your Orchid has so much characrter and uniquness to it! I love how it has gone from pink to almost a lavender with a deeper rich color.
I did not see one even close to yours of all the thousands at the orchid show. It should make you feel good to now that there is only ONE Josh Green orchid out there in this world.

I thank you so much for giving us all these updates and spetacular pictures buddy!
I hope I can find one close to that some day. Amazing Josh!

Just when I thought your weather was warm enough to grow outside again, no.
What kind of fragrance can you make from that one?

I hope it lasts a long time for you too. I wonder how long that flower will hold on. So far so good!

Mike:-)))))

o

That's a beautiful orchid, and it's fragrant too? You should ask your grandpa for some more plants of it so you can start trading them on here. :)

o

Hello, Summersunshine, my grandpa is "in the business" and I don't think he'd want me trading product ;-)
Eventually, I imagine that I'll be able to divide this Orchid and make several back-up plants....

Mike, I can always count on you to come through! Thanks, buddy.
As you know, I've been so stuffed up and congested that I can't really make out fragrances well.
From what I can tell, the fragrance is sweet, floral...no unique notes like chocolate, vanilla, or citrus.

The weather is quite mild this Winter, but we did enjoy another .75 inches of rain last night.
The temperature is 40F right now. I rain-washed a few succulents and other plants yesterday,
but I brought them in when the temp dropped below 50F.

I'll let you know how long this bloom lasts.

Josh

o

Wow, I step away from this forum for a couple of weeks and when I return, well...WOW. Those are some sweet blooms you have there Josh.

Congratulations.

tj

o

Thanks, TJ, it's great to see you here!

Josh

o

Well, hello everyone!

I thought it a timely revival of this Thread on the Winter Solstice :-)

This year, my 'Josh Green' Orchid budded up and is now blooming a month earlier than last year.

I still need to get a better pic when the sun is co-operating, but couldn't wait to share!

o

WOW! PRETTY!

o

Josh, can't blame you for impatiently wanting to post, although the photo is clear and vividly colored.

Your 'Josh Orchid' flower is absolutely beautiful. Contrast coloring is amazing. Dark red x red/pink.

I want a Toni Orchid, lol..j/k.

Your grandpa did a fantastic job creating such a pretty flower.

Considering Josh is your first Orchid, you're doing a terrific job. Toni

o

Thank you so much, Toni and Purple!
Yeah, Toni, I think this Orchid is quite happy with the treatment it's been receiving.
I look forward to putting it in a bigger pot and, hopefully, encouraging more blooms each year.
I can see a lot of healthy roots filling the small pot and I know I'm late in re-potting.
Cheers! :-)

Josh

o

Congratulations Josh, she's gorgeous -- good work!!

o

Thanks, Karen! Much appreciated :-)

Josh

o

Those are awesome Josh! I've never grown orchids but it's something that I been wanting to do. I'm still trying to figure out how to get at peace lily to survive so I think I'll have to wait a little while until I figure out the perfect soil mix for my area.

o

That is a real beauty! CONGRATS! And happy holidays!

o

Josh, no picture could top that one! It's perfect!

It must smell heavenly and what a terrific job you have done. You seem to defy all odds against growing perfect orchids flowers in a not so humid place. Wow
and thank you for being so kind as to share your excited as I am:-)
Beautiful color too.

Mike

o

Hey Josh, this is great you are getting the blooms....twice now....great job.... on a scale of 1 to 10 .....1 being easy, and 10 being hard....what is this orchid??? thanks for posting.....linda

o

She's amazing!!
What a wonderful plant your grandfather created , and your wonderful job of growing her on...

JoJo

o

Hey! Thank you, Vance, Tommy, Mike, Linda, and JoJo! :-D

Vance, a good free-draining mix with bark and grit will make just about any plant grow well,
assuming light and nutrients are also provided, of course.

Happy Holidays, Tommy! Thanks!

Mike, thanks for the support, buddy. The fragrance is getting stronger daily now,
and the colors are saturating. Hopefully I'll have some sun soon for a couple new pics ;-)
The house has been real dry, between the house heating system as well as woodstove insert,
but I simply water as usual and put the plant back on the window-sill...and all seems well.

Linda, I've heard that these (Cattleya-looking type) are fairly easy Orchids to grow.
I don't have anything to compare it to, however, so I can't give an exact answer. But, that said,
I have a strong suspicion that the proper bark-mix can make the standard Orchids very easy to grow.

JoJo, thank you! And I'll let my Grandpa know that you like his hybrid touch :-)

Josh

o

At the moment i'm using 5.1.1. I think the potting mix i used for the 1 part spagnum peat was causing the roots to be water logged.

o

Merry Christmas everyone!

o

Merry Christmas!!!

Vance, I wouldn't use any potting mix or peat for Orchids. I use only
screened Fir bark, Perlite, and Scoria, sometimes charcoal chips for Orchid mix.

Yesterday I took a pic outdoors as the sun struggled behind clouds.

o

How's the flower looking now Josh?
Vance

o

Hey, Vance!
The flower is a bit aged now, not as erect. However, the scent is much stronger, sweeter, spicier :-)
I'm sorry I couldn't get a better pic....bright day here in northern California.

o

Hi Josh!!

I can't even begin to tell you how much enjoyment i have received from start to bottom reading this thread again. LOVED looking at the growing process of your "Beauty" and i will say that this last pic posted is simply stunning in my eyes.... LOL..age does have it's advantages!!!! ;-)

You have done a great job with this special orchid and im sure your Grandfather is one proud man.

Congratulations again..

Christopher.. I missed your "hello" up thread, so i wanted to send a "HELLO" to you too! Im sorry i missed that..

I hope everyone is doing well.. Stay warm!! Healthy too!

Take care,

Laura

o

Laura, thank you very much! I appreciate the kind words and the support.
For a month-old bloom, I guess it doesn't look too bad ;-)

After a long cold snap, today was the third day in a row where temps crept
into the upper 60F's! I even put some Citrus (and Avocado) out on the deck.
Tonight we'll dip into the 20F's again, but these warm sunny days are nice.

I hope you're warm in the old Commonwealth ;-)

Josh

o

Yeah man those flowers are prettier than before. I can only imagine how they smell.

o

Wow Josh!

What kind of preservatives are you feeding that plant too? Lol
That is one long lasting bloom of a higher quality orchid I'll bet! Just still beautiful after all this time.
You are certainly gifted, one I would trust with my orchids for sure.

Mike:-)

o

And here we are again...much earlier than last year!
The flower opened two days ago. Two of my Jades are also about to bloom, so I assume that this was just an exceptional Summer.

o

Seriously????

Josh, what's up with that? All my some what over 25 are still just growing and no flower buds....Strange...I am so excited for you buddy..

And it is in the gritty mix..Who would of thought?

Now your jades too...I am so jealous...For me it takes work to get any flowers on mine-(

MIke

o

Hey, Mike!
Yep, I'm really surprised, too! hehe!
I just posted the Jade pics at the C & S Forum, check 'em out. It's been a great year.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here