Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

A new plant.....my first Orchid!

Hello, everyone!

I wanted to share a couple pics of my first Orchid. This one is incredibly special to me, and I think you'll see why... ;)

{{gwi:112976}}

{{gwi:112977}}

Josh

Comments (122)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

You're too modest - you should mention the plant is named after you every chance you get. We'd all know you were just excited & not bragging! I hope it lasts & lasts for you!

Later

Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Mike! I was excited to see your surprise blooms at the Orchid Forum, too! ;-)
    I e-mailed my Grandpa this morning to share the second open bloom. Still waiting for his reply.

Al, I think I'll take that advice and mention 'my' Orchid more often ;-)

Here are two more pics that I snapped this morning.

{{gwi:112992}}

{{gwi:112993}}

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Josh! I had a quick second to mention this!

Not only did you defy growing such a beautiful orchid FLOWER in that fast amount of time in such a great homemade mix which I am going to make this week for my seedlings, but you also managed to do that without TIGHT ROOTS!

Yes, it looks like there is more room for root growth, no roots sticking out of that pot and it still bloomed. So much for having to keep orchids roots very tight to promote blooms:-) Josh Greene looks very comfortable in there.:-)

Good growing Sir!

Mike

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Mike!

You're right, there's plenty of room in there! However, I won't be dividing this plant until it starts
    to spill out of the pot....so I guess it will be somewhat pot-bound before I re-pot. As can be seen, and
    as you mentioned, no foot-binding necessary for this beauty to bloom.

Just a very minor correction for posterity's sake....my last name is 'Green' like the color ;-)
    Don't worry, folks add the silent 'e' all the time. I only make an issue of it when legal documents
    are concerned.

Well, I heard back from my Grandpa, and he said that mine bloomed better than his this year.
    He also said my gold-embossed certificate would be coming in the mail....so I reminded him that
    I can't technically be considered an expert until I've killed 200 Orchids. Hehehe....

He also added the information that the tall stem and round flower come courtesy of the Broughtonia sanguinea
    ancestry.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Oh, Josh Green..lol And how long have we been friends?

Don't forget that I have been known to make a lot of mistakes after just one drink.lol

I'll bet he is very proud of you. Maybe he should give your mix a try. He just might like it! I would love to see what a certificate looks like for a beauty like that. By the way, can you link me to his site to consider buying a plant or two?

How many plants have you killed in your past life anyway?lol

Nite my friend. Now I have to run.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello, Mike and Christopher!

Sorry about the late reply....e-mail notifications are no longer appearing for this Thread....
    you know how it is with GardenWeb!

I've never been much into blooms, really. I sort of thought of them as icing on the cake.
    But it is fun to wait and wait and wait for buds to develop, hoping they don't blast,
    and finally watching them open. It is nice to have some color during the Winter, eh?

Christopher, is yours blooming right now?

Josh

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Hi Josh:

I see your point. I do love the look of some orchids when not in bloom. I'm a sucker for a nice pseudobulb. None of my half dozen or so orchids is blooming, the Zygo photo is from late last summer.

So Josh, by the way, how many Josh Green orchids exist?

Christopher

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey!
    I'm not even sure if mine will bloom reliably at this time of year, or if it's blooming now
    because of the re-potting and acclimation over the summer. Maybe it'll bloom toward
    the end of summer next year.

Chris, do you mean are there any of these sold around the world?
    If so, I assure you that I don't know. That is a great question, though.

Josh

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Josh,

This is the first time i have seen your beautiful bloom from this spectacular named variety!!!

I agree, you should always indicate the name given. What an honor it is to have your Grandfather give such a gift..

The color is just beautiful...

Congratulations on your gorgeous blooms!!!

Thank you for sharing this special occasion!!!

Im sure your relatives are just as proud!!

Great job!!!

Laura

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Josh and Christopher..Beautiful flower colors.

Josh, you posted this thread 11/2010 when your granda first sent you O. Josh.
    Did you say it's bloomed twice since 2010?

BTW, What a view! Looks so peaceful. Toni

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, a hearty welcome, Laura!
    I'm glad to be able to share a bloom with you for once! ;-)

Heya, Toni! Nope, this is the first bloom while I've had it.
    The view is very peaceful...I look out over a third of an acre of grass and green moss,
    garden and flower garden, grove of black bamboo, and finally to a seasonal creek.

Josh

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Hi Josh, Laura, Toni!

Yes Josh, that is what I meant. Wonder if there is someone in Australia or Japan right now admiring their Josh Green orchid?

Christopher

Original Author
    12 years ago

Chris! I meant to e-mail my Grandpa about that last night!
    I will definitely find out.....stay tuned! ;-)

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm back....
    Chris, a couple flasks of these Orchids were sold to two growers 15 years ago.
    No telling how far they went from there. But, theoretically, they're out there....

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Howdy,

Josh, sorry about that. I read above, 'I emailed my grandpa this morning to share the second open bloom,' took it the wrong way.

BTW, how's your moms and brothers orchids doing? Have they yet flowered?

Country life! You and others who live on large pieces of land with scenic views, despite direction, are blessed.
    We're not in the country, by far, but Brookfield isn't a large city either. So unlike Chicago.
    After moving out of the city, away from congestion, over-population and smog, I felt we were closer to Mother Nature. Toni

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Toni, I thought that might have caused confusion...I was going to clarify.
    Yep, I meant the second of the two buds on this particular flower. You got it now ;-)

As for the other Orchids in my "family"....they are long lost, unfortunately. Something happened
    to my brother's, and that is the only picture we have that it ever existed. I don't know what happened
    with my mom's Orchid. Maybe I can find out more.

I love living in a semi-rural area. I can access the city any time I like, but I'm not stuck with the smog
    and the streetlights and the unsavory characters. I would prefer more property, but that's for the future.

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

And the parade continues... ;-)

I took the Orchid outside for this picture. No, it isn't warm enough to stay outdoors yet.

The bloom is fully saturated with color now, and I'm enjoying the subtle fragrance.
    I hope it lasts for a long time!

{{gwi:112994}}

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Josh!

I can't believe the difference in color too. Your Orchid has so much characrter and uniquness to it! I love how it has gone from pink to almost a lavender with a deeper rich color.
    I did not see one even close to yours of all the thousands at the orchid show. It should make you feel good to now that there is only ONE Josh Green orchid out there in this world.

I thank you so much for giving us all these updates and spetacular pictures buddy!
    I hope I can find one close to that some day. Amazing Josh!

Just when I thought your weather was warm enough to grow outside again, no.
    What kind of fragrance can you make from that one?

I hope it lasts a long time for you too. I wonder how long that flower will hold on. So far so good!

Mike:-)))))

• summersunlight
    12 years ago

That's a beautiful orchid, and it's fragrant too? You should ask your grandpa for some more plants of it so you can start trading them on here. :)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello, Summersunshine, my grandpa is "in the business" and I don't think he'd want me trading product ;-)
    Eventually, I imagine that I'll be able to divide this Orchid and make several back-up plants....

Mike, I can always count on you to come through! Thanks, buddy.
    As you know, I've been so stuffed up and congested that I can't really make out fragrances well.
    From what I can tell, the fragrance is sweet, floral...no unique notes like chocolate, vanilla, or citrus.

The weather is quite mild this Winter, but we did enjoy another .75 inches of rain last night.
    The temperature is 40F right now. I rain-washed a few succulents and other plants yesterday,
    but I brought them in when the temp dropped below 50F.

I'll let you know how long this bloom lasts.

Josh

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Wow, I step away from this forum for a couple of weeks and when I return, well...WOW. Those are some sweet blooms you have there Josh.

Congratulations.

tj

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, TJ, it's great to see you here!

Josh

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, hello everyone!

I thought it a timely revival of this Thread on the Winter Solstice :-)

This year, my 'Josh Green' Orchid budded up and is now blooming a month earlier than last year.

I still need to get a better pic when the sun is co-operating, but couldn't wait to share!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

WOW! PRETTY!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Josh, can't blame you for impatiently wanting to post, although the photo is clear and vividly colored.

Your 'Josh Orchid' flower is absolutely beautiful. Contrast coloring is amazing. Dark red x red/pink.

I want a Toni Orchid, lol..j/k.

Your grandpa did a fantastic job creating such a pretty flower.

Considering Josh is your first Orchid, you're doing a terrific job. Toni

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, Toni and Purple!
    Yeah, Toni, I think this Orchid is quite happy with the treatment it's been receiving.
    I look forward to putting it in a bigger pot and, hopefully, encouraging more blooms each year.
    I can see a lot of healthy roots filling the small pot and I know I'm late in re-potting.
    Cheers! :-)

Josh

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Congratulations Josh, she's gorgeous -- good work!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Karen! Much appreciated :-)

Josh

• Vance Evans
    11 years ago

Those are awesome Josh! I've never grown orchids but it's something that I been wanting to do. I'm still trying to figure out how to get at peace lily to survive so I think I'll have to wait a little while until I figure out the perfect soil mix for my area.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

That is a real beauty! CONGRATS! And happy holidays!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Josh, no picture could top that one! It's perfect!

It must smell heavenly and what a terrific job you have done. You seem to defy all odds against growing perfect orchids flowers in a not so humid place. Wow
    and thank you for being so kind as to share your excited as I am:-)
    Beautiful color too.

Mike

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hey Josh, this is great you are getting the blooms....twice now....great job.... on a scale of 1 to 10 .....1 being easy, and 10 being hard....what is this orchid??? thanks for posting.....linda

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

She's amazing!!
    What a wonderful plant your grandfather created , and your wonderful job of growing her on...

JoJo

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey! Thank you, Vance, Tommy, Mike, Linda, and JoJo! :-D

Vance, a good free-draining mix with bark and grit will make just about any plant grow well,
    assuming light and nutrients are also provided, of course.

Happy Holidays, Tommy! Thanks!

Mike, thanks for the support, buddy. The fragrance is getting stronger daily now,
    and the colors are saturating. Hopefully I'll have some sun soon for a couple new pics ;-)
    The house has been real dry, between the house heating system as well as woodstove insert,
    but I simply water as usual and put the plant back on the window-sill...and all seems well.

Linda, I've heard that these (Cattleya-looking type) are fairly easy Orchids to grow.
    I don't have anything to compare it to, however, so I can't give an exact answer. But, that said,
    I have a strong suspicion that the proper bark-mix can make the standard Orchids very easy to grow.

JoJo, thank you! And I'll let my Grandpa know that you like his hybrid touch :-)

Josh

• Vance Evans
    11 years ago

At the moment i'm using 5.1.1. I think the potting mix i used for the 1 part spagnum peat was causing the roots to be water logged.

• Vance Evans
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas!!!

Vance, I wouldn't use any potting mix or peat for Orchids. I use only
    screened Fir bark, Perlite, and Scoria, sometimes charcoal chips for Orchid mix.

Yesterday I took a pic outdoors as the sun struggled behind clouds.

• Vance Evans
    11 years ago

How's the flower looking now Josh?
    Vance

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, Vance!
    The flower is a bit aged now, not as erect. However, the scent is much stronger, sweeter, spicier :-)
    I'm sorry I couldn't get a better pic....bright day here in northern California.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Josh!!

I can't even begin to tell you how much enjoyment i have received from start to bottom reading this thread again. LOVED looking at the growing process of your "Beauty" and i will say that this last pic posted is simply stunning in my eyes.... LOL..age does have it's advantages!!!! ;-)

You have done a great job with this special orchid and im sure your Grandfather is one proud man.

Congratulations again..

Christopher.. I missed your "hello" up thread, so i wanted to send a "HELLO" to you too! Im sorry i missed that..

I hope everyone is doing well.. Stay warm!! Healthy too!

Take care,

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura, thank you very much! I appreciate the kind words and the support.
    For a month-old bloom, I guess it doesn't look too bad ;-)

After a long cold snap, today was the third day in a row where temps crept
    into the upper 60F's! I even put some Citrus (and Avocado) out on the deck.
    Tonight we'll dip into the 20F's again, but these warm sunny days are nice.

I hope you're warm in the old Commonwealth ;-)

Josh

• Vance Evans
    11 years ago

Yeah man those flowers are prettier than before. I can only imagine how they smell.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Wow Josh!

What kind of preservatives are you feeding that plant too? Lol
    That is one long lasting bloom of a higher quality orchid I'll bet! Just still beautiful after all this time.
    You are certainly gifted, one I would trust with my orchids for sure.

Mike:-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

And here we are again...much earlier than last year!
    The flower opened two days ago. Two of my Jades are also about to bloom, so I assume that this was just an exceptional Summer.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Seriously????

Josh, what's up with that? All my some what over 25 are still just growing and no flower buds....Strange...I am so excited for you buddy..

And it is in the gritty mix..Who would of thought?

Now your jades too...I am so jealous...For me it takes work to get any flowers on mine-(

MIke

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, Mike!
    Yep, I'm really surprised, too! hehe!
    I just posted the Jade pics at the C & S Forum, check 'em out. It's been a great year.

Josh

Original Author
    9 years ago

Talk about early this season! May Day, May Day! :-)

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    9 years ago

'Josh Green' is a beautiful orchid, successfully hybridized by Josh's grandpa, back in 2010.

Several holidays passed since 'JG' was first posted on this thread.

As I scrolled down the page, I watched 'Josh Green' grow and flower over the years.

The prettiest, pinkish twins produced, May 2014. Or as Josh stated, earlier than usual.

Toni

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Toni! So much earlier, indeed! But, hey, I am loving the scent...the entire living room is full of that sweet and spicy candy aroma. I think this Orchid was hybridized a long time ago, back in the 1980's perhaps.

Josh

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions