Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nalani_gw

wanted: house plants

Nalani
16 years ago

Hello I am looking for house plants! I have pothos in my living room and kitchen, but I am looking for other kinds of house plants. If there is anyone out there that would be generous in cuttings! Or even if you are willing to trade, I would be so appreciative! Thank you and God bless you.

Nalani

Comments (31)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Your local supermarket should have a good supply.

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

you have mail (and post this on the exchange page) CJ

• dmsee
    16 years ago

Nalani- Maybe you could get some cutting from a nursery.

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Begging plants is neither permitted nor welcome here. If you have nothing to offer in exchange, then pls. try your local supermarket, a friendly neighbor or the floor of your local nursery.

Then again, you could do as many of us here do, which would be to go out and BUY plants w/ actual money!

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

not nice pirate girl, not nice. CJ

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

Toadlily:

I don't know how long you've been around here, but what nalani* has done here is, essentially, to show up and ask a bunch of people she doesn't know to give her stuff. You wouldn't take too kindly to that in regular life, and there's no reason why it should be acceptable here either, especially since there are forums dedicated to plant begging already. If pirate_girl sounded rude, it's probably because this happens often enough to be irritating.

It's worse when people offer to trade plants in the mail and then don't follow through on their end of the bargain. Those people come in for some genuine abuse, many degrees worse than anything that's happened here, and most of them deserve it.

*(Who is, I'm sure, a wonderful person with many fine and attractive qualities, beloved by children and small animals everywhere, and a shining beacon of hope to all who gaze upon him/r. However, all I personally know about him/r is that s/he owns some pothos and just asked me for stuff, neither of which make me want to chop up all my plants and mail out pieces.)

• micke
    16 years ago

Post this on the plant forum, if you have't already posted over at the houseplant exchange. the Plant exchange gets a whole bunch more trading traffic then here, and I would post that you have pothos to trade for other houseplants, there are people that still would like to trade for them, 'specially people in Florida and other tropical areas where they are grown outdoors:)
    You might not get too many takers right now as we are (unless warm states trading to warm states) pretty much at the end of shipping season for live plants.

• Jasdip
    16 years ago

Mr_sub.
    You are so funny!!! I laughed out loud at your post. Your * disclaimer is hilarious.

I completely agree with you about people mooching. Maybe nalani can freecyle with people in her area and get some free plants that way. I will not cut up my beloved plants and give them away either. I feel bad when cutting them for my own propagation.

Keep up the good work....in everything you do.

Take care,
    Sherry

• Nalani
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I did not know that there were so many hateful people on the GW now. I have been a member and have done somewhere over 100+ trades. Granted its been a couple of months since I have been on here being that I had some health issues. I have traded with wonderful people and have sent somewhere over 30+ Secret Santas out to wonderful people. Yes my own plants and seeds not to mention I paid all postage. Begging, no looking for cuttings yes! Why! Well because I think the whole trading and rooting is fun its a hobby of mine. I have over 5 plants outside in my garden right now as we speak from trading all over the US from other wonderful GW members. Now all of you who have had nothing but rude comments to make, wow it just makes me sad to think this is how people are on the GW are now. I have so many old friends here who would never act that way. Now as far as going out and buying the plants, no problem as our income exceeds over 100,000 a year, but where is the fun in that. Its not an issue of can I afford to buy my own plants, its an issue of putting hard work and effort so later I can say that I was given cuttings all the way from whatever state they came from or I rooted that or I grew that from seed. I love my Mini white roses that I got from my friend Rhonda over in Louisiana 5 years ago, that is one of my pride and joys. So that is why I am here. And I would like to say thank you toadlilly, you are like me old school, there are some of us who still appreciate the whole trading or even sharing at times, GW.

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

It's interesting that the other search results for "nalani" in the GW search turn up 21 threads from 2005, one from 2001, and two from 2004.

Only one of these was in the House Plants Forum.

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

Ok guys, What if someone makes a mistake and posts on the wrong site? What if someone doesn't know these "rules"? Can't we be polite? I had heard other forums weren't so nice-I'm sad to have seen it myself. CJ

• m_taggart
    16 years ago

We all have good intentions. General requests for houseplant trades are easily to interpret as a sham because 1) it happens often on this forum and 2) traders usually have 3 pothos 5 spider plants and a jade plant of which they would not want another and would mention when looking for traders.

Nalani, try the exchange forum as there are a lot of swaps going around. We're just concerned about the time and effort put into our plants when some people would get a package of croton clippings and flip them on ebay.

Always good intentions.

• Nalani
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did make a mistake and frist posted this on this forum then later realized that it was the wrong forum so I then posted it on the exchange forum. And subjunctive if you feel you have to count postings through out the years, wow you have alot of time on your hands. Like I said I have made many friends and there is something called e-mail, us postal service oh and not to mention phones! Please people let this topic NOT continue to carry on there are alot of newbies and it would be pretty sad for them to think that this is how people over in the Garden Web are! And if there are any of you who are reading this post the majority of us are really kind, dont let the handful deter you. So happy gardening and God bless.
    Nalani

• kristgray
    16 years ago

What is the problem with asking for clippings if someone is willing to share? Granted, I am new here so I may not know all of the rules, but this makes me want to find somewhere else to discuss my plants. I love sharing my plants. They make me happy, and I like to think they'll make those I share with happy as well. Sometimes people just want a new plant to experiment with and aren't too keen on the idea of spending a bunch of money for something they know little about. Or maybe they just like the idea of being able to share and trade plants. Some people are just plain rude. Think about how you'd feel if someone jumped down your throat like that.

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

Someone came in with the same question not too long ago and pretty much got the same response. I ended up sending that person clippings from 5 different plants because she was homebound with a medical condition. I try to give the benefit of the doubt and would hope someone would do the same for me if I were in the same position.
    Having said all of that....Maybe just post to the Exchange forum would be the best idea. Maybe some "bad" people in the past is making it hard for everyone now. (You know like someone said, not holding up their end of the trading bargain). Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Good luck.
    (And whatever you do, don't post to the Palm forum if you have a Coconut Palm anywhere north of Florida.)
    Lori

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

It would help if some of you newer folks actually read the rules, you'd know what's allowed & not allowed.

Nalani,

It serves nothing (it certainly doesn't make you any friends), to EM people privately slinging crap at them when they decline, esp. since you've repeated the same entire post here. If you HAD been such a trader here, you'd know the rules & you'd also know not to compound it by flaming people privately.

Sure folks make mistakes, not a problem. Also not a problem to come on here & say something like "Oops, sorry posted to the wrong forum, so pls. excuse me)". I've done so a number of times myself & folks never mind when one apologizes.

ToadL, I don't need anyone defending me from seeming rude to strangers & newcomers begging plants (thx tho' Mr. S, I know you mean well). I'm not hugely concerned abt being so polite to interlopers begging plants. I at least gave 3 reasonable suggestions for her to persue should she care to, beyond buying plants. W/ her $100,000 she shouldn't have any problems doing so, even if she claims it'd be less fun -- oh well!

I recall that homebound medical condition thing, we've seen those before too & some (not ALL) have ben scams as well. It's not abt counting people's posts, it's abt checking to see if what they're claiming in their posts is actually true (often it's not). Like how long they've been on here, what forums, etc.

A number of us have been here long enough that we get really sick of this stuff. Esp. when total strangers EMail us privately asking for particular plants they've seen us discussing, some of you folks havbe a LOT of nerve!

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

Those of us who have been using the search function on Garden Web know that when you do so, the very first thing you see is something like,

Search results for: nalani

There were 24 matches.

So you don't have to count them. Cool, huh?

My disclaimer above was actually semi-serious, in that I didn't want to single nalani out personally -- any of the people who have posted similar requests, including nalani, may well be telling the truth about their situations.

It's still the case that you get a much better response if you know the people you're asking, before you ask for cuttings. Which may be becoming painfully obvious.

-

It's also occurred to me that it may have looked, in my first post, like I was suggesting that nalani was one of those people who don't follow through on their end of the trade. I meant no such thing, as I have no way to know whether or not that's true. I just meant, roughly, "You think that was rude, you should see what these other people get."

• Jane5
    16 years ago

Well I give up!!!!!!!

This is the second forum I no longer feel comfortable coming to because of nasty people. I was a member at the other place for a long time and have been a member here even longer. I am more of a reader then poster due to the fact of being afraid of posting something that might offend someone and have happen to me what just happened here. A couple of you I really use to enjoy reading your posts. But now that I know about your nasty side, it makes leaving here for good a little easier.

Jane, signing out of Garden Web for the last time!!!!

• Nalani
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jane please dont let these comments make you not want to be here, there are just some people who are silly. There not going to chase me off even though they are bashing me. Evil people prosper when good men do nothing. All you good people out there be kind. No big deal for me! They dont have a clue. So for all of us who are nice and yes even I have had a few people not hold up their end of the trade, it happens. Not going to be a trader hater. The first one to get mad looses! So like I said before Happy Gardening to all of you who are serious gardeners!!!!
    God bless and may all your gardens prosper!
    Nalani

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Well perhaps some folks ought to get some thicker skin. The object here is to talk plants. Some folks take advantage, those are the folks to whom we're addressing these comments.

You can't please all the folks all the time -- not all of us put our all in being nice, especially when we feel we are being approached by absolute strangers in a less than nice way.

Those whose plant interest is strong enough that they'll read the rules & maybe even the FAQs, will see that sometimes things can get a bit heated here, but by & large most of us are pretty reasonable folks.

Boy, you all should'a been around when it got really NASTY, that's when & why some folks got kicked off the site altogether!

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

This thread, and many like it, are the exact reason why there's a separate page for exchanges, where if you visit there you know ahead of time that you'll be seeing requests and offers. Because some people don't respond well to being solicited for stuff.

I would like to take the moment to say that I don't feel hateful or evil, and the fact that nalani feels justified in throwing these words around doesn't make me feel more so.

There's no reason for newbies to be alarmed by this thread, really. A simple "Sorry; I meant to post in Exchanges," would have made this whole thing go away, and still probably could. When you begin your response instead with "Wow, you're all so hateful," you're asking for escalation. (By the time you conclude with good triumphing over evil, then you've maybe lost some perspective.)

• Nalani
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Escalation began first with pirate girl bashing me then mr. subjunctive feeding off of her. I had no Idea I was being bashed until someone notified me to read these posts. Tsk Tsk....and I did say that I accidentally posted in the wrong forum...so whom am I suppose to apologize to.Oh I see to you whom I have offended because I wanted to trade for cuttings. That is partly why we come to the GW. Granted I made the mistake of posting it on the wrong forum then corrected that mistake.

~mr.subjunctive~I meant to post in Exchanges," would have made this whole thing go away, and still probably could.............

I did say that so why is this still an issue. Apparantly I'm not the only one who has been treated in this manner, and now others dont want to be a part of the GW that is sad.

mr. subjunctive~I would like to take the moment to say that I don't feel hateful or evil, and the fact that nalani feels justified in throwing these words around doesn't make me feel more so......................(his words in previous posts)~I don't know how long you've been around here, but what nalani* has done here is, essentially, to show up and ask a bunch of people she doesn't know to give her stuff. You wouldn't take too kindly to that in regular life, and there's no reason why it should be acceptable here either, especially since there are forums dedicated to plant begging already. If pirate_girl sounded rude, it's probably because this happens often enough to be irritating.

*(Who is, I'm sure, a wonderful person with many fine and attractive qualities, beloved by children and small animals everywhere, and a shining beacon of hope to all who gaze upon him/r. However, all I personally know about him/r is that s/he owns some pothos and just asked me for stuff, neither of which make me want to chop up all my plants and mail out pieces.)

Now back to not feeiling hateful or evil, because I apparantly feel justified and like throwing these words around...well your mouth speaks for itself with what you said about me and your mediocre disclaimer. What comes out of a mans mouth overflows from the heart.

Nalani

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

Whatever.

• johnh_or
    16 years ago

It just seems sad that in this messed up world that we choose to be so hard on someone who is just asking for plants. She thanked and blessed everyone in advance before she even got a reply! My Dad, who was a kind,gentle man always told me..."It never hurts to ask for anything" Those of us who chose not to send/trade plants with Nalani could have just ignored this thread even though she goofed and broke the rules. Toadlillys response ("you have mail (and post this on the exchange page) CJ") was all Nalani needed to point her in the right direction,

• miss_daisy
    16 years ago

I noticed this post and thought uh-oh. I made a simaler mistake a bit ago. *shaking head* won't do that again. I only came to say good luck with your trading, sharing and swapping of your treasures Nalani . * tip toes on egg shells back to the side out of pirate girl's view* please don't start on me again. i'm not asking for anything. * shrug*

while here, I would like to ask, is this board for plant questions, plant bragging, plant-ing of plants *shrug* or just general talk of plants ?

with that said, I'll take my leave. since, I'm still not quite sure what should be said on what "chat board".

miss daisy

• amany
    16 years ago

Well, I think I have a solution that is not only perfect, but also practical...

If a thread is offensive to you, then ignore it. I never understand why all the energy goes into things like this. Aren't plants supposed to relax you?

Think of how blessed we all are. Our lives are so good that this is what troubles us. I'm sure there are lots of people who wish that a (perhaps) misplaced internet forum thread was one of their biggest problems.

Since we're all so blessed, and are obviously plant enthusiasts, let's all just enjoy our plants peacefully. If you occasionally come across a post that you find disagreeable, just ignore it.

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Miss Daisy,

Rest easy, I have no issue w/ you whatsoever. I recognize yr. handle have seen you around (maybe at HP or Hoyas).

Talk abt most aspects of plants is welcome as far as I know, from planting to bragging to even posting to call attention to something special posted at the Exchange Page. Most things are allowed, to answer yr. question, except what started here in the first place.

Tho' I haven't read the rules in a while, maybe some things changed since IVillage took over from Spike.

• nikkicasarez
    16 years ago

DIN'T GOD SAID " ASK AND YOU SHALL RECIVE" SO WHATS WRONG WITH ASKING WHERE EVER HER POST MAYBE iF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEND OR CHOP UP YOUR PLANTS THEN DON'T!!! I CHOOSE TO SHARE MY HAPPY GARDEN AND SPREAD THE JOY OF GARDENING I HOPE OTHERS WILL TO....NALANI YOUR PLANTS ARE IN THE MAIL.

• Mentha
    16 years ago

DIN'T GOD SAID " ASK AND YOU SHALL RECIVE"

Nope HE didn't, that's not in the bible, but that's beside the point.

A lot of us old timers really don't trade any more just because it takes forever to get a plant to grow to that size and many trades turn sour, just by the measure of plants received do not amount to even 1/4th of what was sent. Granted I have had some excellent trades, but more often than not what I've got have been a few dead sticks smushed in a wet plastic bag. Not pleasant at all. I am not pointing fingers at anyone here. Having been on both sides, I know it doesn't hurt to ask, however don't get upset when someone tells you no. I happen to be one of those people who will knock on someone's door to ask to buy cuttings off a plant I see in someone's yard, I have come home with a lot of plants that way.

I have to be honest, unless I know who I am trading with by mail, I usually won't trade. I am more likely to send something for postage than trade. That way all I'm out of is a few cuttings, not $10 in postage also. That's just me though, I enjoy sharing plants with others, however I do grow plants that unless they know what they are, most people don't want. nor do I send plants to people unfamilliar with their cultivation.

Good luck finding some plant trades. I'm through sending plants for the year, otherwise I would send you a few cuttings.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Here are the Garden Web rules for exchanges:

Special Instructions for Exchanges:

This area is for the purpose of exchanging seeds or plants of the type covered by this forum.

The exchanges were created to facilitate the arranging of trades of plants and seeds between members. Please do not use them to solicit donations, ask for free plants or seeds, or ask for items in exchange for postage. All requests must be in the context of arranging a trade. If you have nothing to offer at this time, please wait until you do.

All exchanges are restricted to users from a particular country, region or state. If it isn't indicated otherwise, the exchange is restricted to residents of the U.S. To find an exchange for your location, check the the exchange index.

Each post must have a type of trade, subject and a message.

Trading is done at users' discretion. GardenWeb has no control or resposibility over trades arranged here. Keep in mind some traders may let you down, so it might be wise to keep your initial trade with someone limited to smaller items.

Messages addressed to or meant for particular users should be sent via email and are not allowed in the exchanges.

If you have trouble with another person coming through with their end of a trade, you must deal with it privately. It is the consensus of the forum users that this type of thing be kept out of our forums. Any public accusation in this forum, or elsewhere at GardenWeb, will result in the accuser being banned.

To avoid problems when shipping across borders and some state lines, it is best to ship plants bare-rooted and to label the container as such. It is up to the users involved to determine what is legal and what is not.

This forum is for the purpose of exchanging material, there should be no need to mention money in any postings. If money is mentioned, the posting will be considered an advertisement and the poster will be banned.

Trading of patented material is unlawful and is strictly forbidden.

• webkat5
    16 years ago

Yes, Rhizo has posted the instructions for the exchange forums specifically.....below are the rules for the rest of the forums...

Those who have been following the rules on these forums for a number of years do develop a "watchdog" reaction when they witness abuse of the rules which are established for a reason. This thread is a perfect example of why it is important to follow the rules. When we see a thread of this nature in an inappropriate place, it means one of two things...
    A. The OP is either ignorant of or has no respect for the GW's structure and choose to ignore it.
    B. They know the rules, but think they can get away with it anyway.

Whichever way you look at it, dismissing the rules for one's own personal benefit is automatically viewed as an act of rudeness and disregard for the rest of the members on the forum. The swift intervention of this type of post is necessary to insure that others won't try the same thing and turn these forums into something other than intended.

Pirate_girl was fully justified in nipping this in the bud (I have done so myself and know many others who do the same)...those who don't believe that are not looking out for the future integrity of these forums. Without members like Pirate_girl and others, the forums would be a complete mess...a place no one would like to come.

I do hope this post can end this thread and we can all get back to chatting about houseplant issues. Thanks!

BTW:
    Here are the rules for the rest of the forums:

"Instructions

* Before posting a message, make sure you have chosen the most appropriate forum from the list. Off-topic posts will be deleted at our discretion. Please do not post the same message to multiple forums.
    * You may want to search the site to see if your question has already been answered by another user.
    * Since the subject line of your message is indexed for searching, try to include important keywords in the subject. Do not post messages with subject lines in all capitals or consisting of simple subjects like "Help!"
    * Posting a message is a two step process. You will first have a chance to preview your message and verify its contents.
    * After posting your message, you may need to reload the forum page in order to see it listed.
    * HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
    * No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
    * A special test forum has been provided if you just want to see how the forums work.
    * If you have trouble logging in, please see the member services page.
    * See the Help Page if you are having problems or have further questions."

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES