Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

Leopard Lily?

tifflj
11 years ago

Is the tag on this beauty. Lady said its a dieffenbachia (sp?)

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tiff...I Googled Leopard Lily...two plants popped up. Dieff and Ledebouria/Squill.
    Your plant is probably a Dieff, and very pretty too. I've never seen one so variegated before.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I'm thinking it's a dieffenbachia (really looks like one), a really nice one...be careful with kids around it, and adults too (I know 2 adult people personally that's gotten sick from it).

-FPT

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

sick from eating it....not from being in the room with it...

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I knew it was a dieff..the lady at Trax Farms told me and she def. ssems very knowledgable, has been the mgr of the houseplant dept for years. When i googled leopard lily though, i got nothing that looked like this plant. I couldnt pass this one up either. I have 100 places i can place it, it was cheap and i love love the variegation. It is so unique, to me anyway. AND it was the only one. I know they are they are poisonous. All plants are up and out of reach from the kids. The only time Jake gets near them is picture time. Then he goes to smell each of them because I taught him to smell the flowers. So he thinks all plants are flowers...even grass. Pretty cute.

I just love this plant.

Toni..Hubby didnt even notice it. ;) I put it in a place where it blended very well. He even knew I was going to Trax Farms, my new fav place. Told me to have fun... (haha)

Here is a link to my new favorite place. So you all know when I mention it in a post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trax Farms

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Wow! That place is huge!!! I would have a lot of fun there too, until new much lighter-weight condition of my wallet sunk in.

I've never seen a Dief like that either. If you get a spare minute, would you mind showing a pic where it emerges from the soil? I'm nosy/curious. Calling it any kind of lily implies flowers to me. Did the lady mention anything about that? Regular Diefs are capable of flowers, but that doesn't happen on most people's house plants, from what I've read.

I googled "Dieffenbachia leopard lily" to see what I could see and Wiki article on Dief was high on the first page, even when I changed it to "dieffenbachia + "leopard lily"" and "Dieffenbachia AND leopard AND lily." BUT the word lily doesn't appear on that page at all. Hate when Google does that!!!!! If I wanted to return results from just one of the words I typed, I wouldn't have typed the other words or attempted to add boolean operators to the search. Looks like Goog doesn't respond to them anymore. Anyway, it seems that the whole world besides me knew this was a common name for this plant. (Insert high pitched "hmmmmph" noise.)

"So he thinks all plants are flowers...even grass. Pretty cute." This is so sweet, I got a cavity reading it! Keep teaching them. These little guys are like sponges. My son noticed all of the cuttings I brought in last night and said, "This is Basil, right, Mom?" Yep. Maybe he'll be more interested in plants than his older sister. But, in her defense, she's really too busy for plants. Maybe when she gets settled into her adult life...

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

Enjoy the fact that your kids like plants...my kids are jerks about it lol...but they're 10 and 12 years old and already going through puberty (yay me...) and jeeze..everytime I get a new plant you'd think I was bringing in stray animals lol...Sometimes I miss it when my kids where much smaller, but not that much to have more LOL...

I've seen that dieffenbachia somewhere before, I don't remember where, but I remember thinking it was different looking. The nursery that grew it probably came up with that name 'leopard lily'...I can kinda see where they got leaopard...but not the lily part...

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry this took so long.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Oh that's nice. I can understand why the leaves are so big now. Great plant!!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia