Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbfaerie

Help!!! Plectranthus Ecklonii "Mona Lavender" issues

greenthumbfaerie
11 years ago

About a month ago I stumbled upon a Plectranthus Mona Lavender at Home Depot and, being the Plectranthus nut that I am, I just couldn't live without it! When I first brought it home, it was loaded with beautiful purple blooms, but then one day last week I walked into my plant room and found that ALL of the blooms had fallen off (still fresh and beautiful, just in a pile on the floor)overnight. I examined the plant today and found that the poor thing is so pot bound that the roots are growing out of the drainage holes and trying to do laps around the saucer underneath the pot. I am very tempted to repot it, but I am not confident that repotting it this time of year would be a good idea. What would you guys do? Repot now? Wait until spring? Pot up temporarily until spring when it's safer to mess with the roots?

Here are some pictures of what it looks like right now:

Roots growing out of drainage holes:

{{gwi:113256}}
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Shriveled flower spike

{{gwi:113258}}

The Plant

{{gwi:113260}}

Thanks guys! :)

Comments (15)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Sorry, but that does't look like a Plectranthus to me, the leaf shape is wrong.

Also, IME folks grow these for the foliage, not the blooms & so they often pinch the blooms off to re-focus the plant's energy onto the foliage (the same way folks pinch back Coleus plants & pinch OFF their flowers when they bloom).

• greenthumbfaerie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am 100% sure it's Plectranthus Mona Lavender. The leaves of Mona Lavender do look different from most other Plectranthus. Take a look at the link I posted below and you will find pictures of plants whose leaves look exactly like mine. The flowers also looked exactly like the plants in the link too...when the plant actually had them. This cultivar of Plectranthus is a HYBRID of P. Ecklonii that was developed for the flowers AS WELL AS the foliage, and is supposed to bloom into late winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: PlantzAfrica: Plectranthus Mona Lavender

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I'm also pretty sure that's not Mona Lavender, which is a hybrid with fuzzier, lighter-colored leaves. But PG, if you google, this Plec has awesome flowers. Like Mona Lavender, but better! Now I want one too.

Although it's interesting to know that genetically this plant is related to that-which-we-will-probably-always-call-Coleus, it's now unnecessarily attached to the new name for Coleus. But besides my affinity for moot yet similar points, I'm making a 2nd mention of it because when Coleus flowers are left on, they do tend to all fall off at once, the slightest breeze or bump. So I'm not sure their fall is any indication of your plants' health or necessity of immediate repotting since it looks rootbound, but also happy and healthy. It's going to want to be pretty dry for winter anyway... I'd be torn too.

This place seems to be the makers of Mona Lavender. They offer a separate profile of Plectranthus ecklonii which does not mention Mona Lavender. Was that on the label?

• greenthumbfaerie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, "Plectranthus" was on the label. That, and this is what its flowers looked like (when the plant had them):
    {{gwi:113262}}

• greenthumbfaerie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, the leaves are quite fuzzy, but they're also dark and shiny with purple undersides.

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

I'm no plectranthus maven, but I have a Candle Plant (P. oertendahlii)that just got done with blooming. I always just cut it back after it blooms as it get too rangy for me to like it much if I don't. It doesn't seem to like to be too wet, and it doesn't seem to like to be too dry either. So you have to provide a soil that is moist but still has pore spaces for air around the roots. Anyway, from your photo it seems your plant is really big for the pot it is in, and so you might be giving yourself a really difficult task to keep the plant's water needs met in the situation it is in now. It might be good to pot it up if you aren't going to cut it back, and deal with roots in the spring. But your plant might be different than mine, and if it truly keeps blooming all winter into the spring like your link said, then this maybe isn't the time to be cutting it back. But then maybe my candle plant would keep blooming too, but I always cut it back. It looks like a pretty plant. What will they think of next? Oh- I cut back and repotted my candle plant last year at this time after it bloomed, and it didn't seem to mind at all.

• cena60
    11 years ago

I am positive it is Plectranthus, as well as the name given, P. ecklonii, verified by White Flower Farm several years ago, as one of their offerings in their Gift of the Month selections.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

That looks like the plectranthus Mona lavender I just got...

• desertmikey
    10 years ago

I realize this is an old post, but I just stumbled across it. Your plant is indeed Plectranthus "Mona Lavender" and it is indeed grown for the flowers (unlike most Plectranthus species). I would recommend that you pot it up in a larger pot with good potting soil, and at the same time give it a "haircut". The cuttings from it can be rooted in a jar or glass in plain water (they root very easily, like their cousin Coleus). Good luck!

• salpal
    10 years ago

I also have this same plectranthus. Mine also was labeled Mona and if you see it, it has strong plectranthus characteristics in flower and habit. Very easy to water root. My biggest prob with it is that it is so easy to grow, one tends to neglect or forget about it. These are nice as fall bloomers in our cold climate. I try to remember to take a few shoots so as to have some to grow in outdoor containers next summer.
    I grow similar ones- "silver shield" and a new one for me, "nico", my Mom has ones she always called swedish ivy, with these similar hairy leaves. They are a nice group of plants, I just keep them for growing outside in my shaded backyard planters.
    Also, if you save the seeds of plectranthus, they will grow nicely- at least my silver shield does.

• bahia
    9 years ago

Also realizing this is an older post, but it is most definitely Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender', and it is not a hybrid of P. ecklonii, see the info on the plant at the website www.smgrowers.com for the specific cross. P. ecklonii has much larger leaves on a plant that can get 6 feet tall, the foliage is not hairy nor with purple underside, and also larger inflorescence.

If the plant was grown with those protruding roots in a saucer that retained water, drying out propably wasn't the reason for dropped flowers, but it's a very tough plant, and withstands dense roots if not let dry out. It shouldnt harm the plant to repot into a larger pot, also quite easy from cuttings.

I grow this outdoors year round here in the SF Bay Area, and the flowers do tend to drop suddenly after several weeks of bloom. Indoors, a sudden temperature change might have caused this. It typically only blooms for about 6~8 weeks in the fall for me, but growers can force these under controlled lighting to be in bloom at any season, similar to chrysanthemums.

• Katy
    8 years ago

bahia, I too live in the SF bay area. I just bought one of these at the local Summerwinds nursery. I live in Palo Alto and am planning on planting the plectranthus hybrida - Mona Lavender in my yard in a heavily shaded area. I am curious, where do you have yours planted? What town and how much sun? The tag that came with the plant says that it blooms spring and fall.

• mazisoler
    8 years ago

I have just seen yours and do hope you have had your answer by now. In case you did not, shade and partial shade is perfect providing that partial shade does not have scorching hot midday sun.

They have a tendency to die overnight; I suspect either by bad drainage/waterlogged or fast drainage/drying. Their worst enemy is caterpillars of various sizes and or types, once they attack they eat the the whole plant within a day. They killed a few P. monalavender shrubs in my garden.

When a P. monalavender likes its place it becomes a show piece shrub.

I live in a climate where summers are scorching hot, winters are mostly mild with down below 0 C's a couple of nights. It did survive many plus or minus around 0 C for many years, but could not last winter's -7C' for 5 nights in a row. Fortunately I always propagate spare ones and keep them in the cold frame/greenhouse during winter.

I hope yours have had a great time till now and you have enjoyed its beauty proudly.

Since talking on plectranthus', I do have a question myself, if anyone can answer I will be most happy: What is the common name for P. eclonii?

• Scott Berkel
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Amazing the animosity here. Glad some people are trying to help.

I also got my Mona Lavender which IS a plectranthus grown for flowers, but is also a beautiful full green plant year round (just a little less so Jan-Mar). I move them inside in the winter and outside in the summer. Blooms in the fall in Indiana, same time as mums and can be force flowered at most growers (I got mine at Home Depot that way too).

Dropping flowers is normal for changes in temperature and even sometimes just moving the plant. Actually, the amount of leaves, flowers and flower stems it drops over winter every day is probably the thing my wife hates most about it - constant cleanup. In the spring and summer it drops almost nothing and requires very little care. It can dry almost completely in the winter, enough that submerging the entire pot in the bathtub and holding it down to saturate the soil and then let it drain may be required, but on it lives.

These are VERY hardy. In the spring, I cut mine in half literally through the roots and replant half in the ground for this year (these die over winter) and the other half back in the same hanging pots to grow outdoors and then bring in to overwinter. The idea that the plant dies after flowering is crazy. It's very hard to kill it - maybe overwatering during winter pseudo-dormancy could do it.

Also, VERY easy to cultivate from cuttings. After pruning back in the spring (although it even tolerated pruning in the fall or even mid-winter to cut back on the wild and rangy look of the empty flower stalks) the cuttings grow very nicely in just about any soil or even none at all to have more potted plants.

From my original 2 I have 4 big 12" hangers, 4 8" pots and 4 little 4" pots and countless others that have been ground planted for a season.

Glad this plant is making the rounds. It was kind of rare to find information 5 years ago, but I'm seeing more about it nowadays. Good luck!