Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asleep_in_the_garden

Hey Purp

In many ways I'm hesitant to show some of this stuff because of it's current condition and how others who like show plants(okay,who doesn't) might not appreciate the look of these poor things but some have been badly injured by frost early last spring so they are in varying stages of recovery. Not to mention that I tend to look at plants fourth dimensionally,which is to say that I imagine what they will look like one day instead of what I'm seeing at the moment.

But enough of that...here's a few pics...

Starting with what you described as the world's tiniest shrub. It's been in terraria since I first got it and the foliage seems even tighter that when I first got it(sorry for the quality of the pic.

Comments (29)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's a cutting taken off the aglaonema...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

that's weird...thought I had another shot with the host that the above aggie came from.

Oh well...here's the little piece of C fragrans on it's way from a much smaller start/ It's very green of course because it's been indoor the whole time in tanks and jars while the other larger pieces were disintegrated outside. When I remembered/found that I still had a little of it in culture I was much relieved!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A bit of the canna is still alive. No way I'm letting it go dormant this year. This time I'm gonna see if keeping it going all winter does anything for it.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I THINK the palm seedling to the right is the one you sent.

Note above the ag that has that new chunk kicking off the side...that's all grown in since I took a near identical piece off and sent it to you. Just saying that's a surprising amount of growth for an ag in such a short amount of time(seems that way to me anyway).

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Little bit of really light deprived and washed out WJ.

So long as I have the tiniest bit of it,from that,as you well know,pots and pots can be spawned(but admittedly it's a little easier to accomplish down south).

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a couple you may recognize...

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Hey, those pics r exciting! It's hard for me to imagine anything growing up there at all, well done! The first thing "tiny shrub" is Alternanthera. I think it's a blast to watch WJ turn green during winter, back to purple outside for summer. Callisia repens in the last pic. What is the variegated leaf in the middle pot, last pic? Everything looks great. Impressive Fittonia too! TY for sharing.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gah...been combing around in my emails unsuccessfully looking for it's name...think it started with an "h".

It was a lot creamier in color when it first arrived and by from what I gathered,had a rosette kinda growth habit. Quite a while back I had put it in a tall tubular vase and it grew from the bottom of it to the top do to it's constrainment...doing a weird leggy kinda thing. Not too long ago,it got moved to a tank with much more room to stretch out,so after potting it up a little and wrapping it around the top of the new pot,it will probably start looking like it's supposed to after a while.

9 years ago

Could it be an Alternanthera?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nupe...that's the first pic. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still no results from combing emails. It reminded me of a variegated ajuga reptans if that helps any...?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Think I just remembered!

Hemigraphis?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh and yeah...finally found the missing pic of the other half of the ag...

Edited to say that eventually the two pieces will likely be re-united after the cutting develops a bit more root-matter.

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 9:22

9 years ago

That's cool. That Ag's really in a pickle - LOL!

I've never seen a Hemigraphis like that, but I'm sure there are a lot of plants I haven't seen before. Does the tag say which one it is?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Tiff,
    I noticed that Exotic Angel's website shows two Hemigraphis cultivars that look like Jon's (meaning maybe you'll be able to find one around you).

http://www.exoticangel.com/component/k2/item/628-hemigraphis-belgian-waffle

http://www.exoticangel.com/component/k2/item/627-hemigraphis-snow-white

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the fun part,..the hemi is one one the plants that you sent me last year. You're just not used to seeing one freaking out under my supervision,that's all

The important thing is that it is alive. It only recently moved from the vase it was in and is now capable of stretching out again. In time I'm sure it will look more like it should.

Thanks for helping out,Beth!
    Mighty kind of ya! :)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Jon,
    Sure thing. I know, I stuck my nose right in there. ;)

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Pretty sure nobody minds your nose,Beth.

Your commentary is always welcome. :)

9 years ago

Now that is all fun & funny! LMAO!! What r u feeding these things?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For a guy with a whole big box of individual bags of the granular mix,I'm really negligent when it comes to feeding.

The hemi has in all likelihood not been fed since it arrived.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Jon,
    Thanks, I like my nose too. ;)

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The nose knows! :D

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Quick update...these two are together now. Heaped a bit of sphag up to meet the aerials. New growth coming on. things are lookin' up.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New growth on this one is pretty dark.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a quick shot of what I'm doing with the repens at the moment.

9 years ago

Those look cool. These plants have gone from one wild experimenter to another. Fascinating how they seem to like everything that's done to them. TY for the update. I know you're always complaining about light, but the color on the Ag is great!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey thanks!

The snow outside is actually reflecting a bit more daylight into my "cave" these days,but all in all..it's still pretty dark in here. I've got like...fifteen lamps in my room and we're doin' the best we can! lol

9 years ago

Snow? Dang dude. I'm jealous. If temps like this are coming here, snow might as well be included! (The news refers to last years' incident as Snowmageddon. LOL!)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW!
    That's a heck of a drop in temps(at least night time temps anyway). Looks like it's catchin' up to you and fast!

Don't be jealous...I am just ill with the white stuff. You remarked not too long ago about my little collection of rocks and stones out back...well...a whole lot of good it does to enjoy them when they are buried in piles of snow.

I've been meaning to make something out of the stuff ever since I first moved here,but somehow it never gets done. Easter island heads come to mind. Seems like everytime I feel motivated enough to get around to it,it seems like we get powder as opposed to a more pack-able quality. Considered making a mold to make snow "bricks" out of,and then start building a wall out front. Somehow I doubt the management would appreciate that too much though. lol
    After the plows have isolated huge piles of the stuff,I've thought about carving step pyramids from them.

It all sounds so do-able in theory...it's the putting it into practice part that never seems to happen. ;)

DO try to keep warm,okay?

Here's a shot just taken out my bedroom window. Not bad right now,but believe me...it's gonna get worse!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!