Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

My Sweet Olive Came Today!

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

My sweet olive plant from Almost Eden Plants arrived today! I wasn't expecting to be the size it is or have flowers on it! They smell heavenly! Everyone should definitely get a chance to smell these blossoms!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (27)

• kemistry
    13 years ago

they smell like ripe peaches to me, very pleasant :)

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Moon, Almost Eden is one of my favorite plant stores. I've never received a small or unhealthy plant.
    Funny, I visited their site last week but didn't see a Sweet Olive..
    Yes, they smell heavenly..it's been years since I had one..it was a young plant, but flowered. Considering its size, the flowers were so sweet. Good luck, Toni
    PS. You only bought 'ONE' plant??? lol

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Toni, LOL "You only bought 'ONE' plant". It's all I can fit now in my collection. It's the plain old Osmanthus fragrans. It's in my bedroom getting eastern sunlight. My mom's in love with the fragrance and said she'd wear a perfume with the fragrance. Her nose is very sensitive to scents, but she loves it! Mine does't smell like peaches and I've never smelled orange blossoms, but it's one of my favorite fragrances and I like it better than my Maid of Orleans jasmine!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's two pictures I took today of my plant. See what I mean about it being a good size!

Plant
    {{gwi:113437}}

Flowers (now my favorite plant fragrance!)
    {{gwi:113438}}

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Moon, Wow, your SO is big. That's one reason I like AE's plants. Plus they're healthy and pest-free.

Moon, there's always room for 'one more plant,' at least that's what I tell myself. lol.

It's been years since I had a SO, but I recall the fragrance was strong and sweet. Citrus flowers smell fantastic. UMM.
    For a while I had MOO's in different rooms, used as natural air fresheners. lol..

Is AE having their autumn sale? Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think so. The SO was on sale when I ordered it but I'm not sure now if they are still having it. I measured the tall branch and it's a little over 2 feet! Funny thing is that the flowers are on the smaller branch.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Brad, don't get me started..lol..It's pretty cold outside, and I'm expecting more plants. Whenever I got to AE's site, I end up spending..lol
    2' is large.
    I've been waiting for him to get his large, variegated Gardenias in stock. They're over 2' tall, with beautiful colors. Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Variegated gardenias?! I never knew there were varigated ones! I managed to smell a gardenia in bloom at Lowe's back in August and all I can say is wow! They smell wonderful but I'm not going to try one anytime soon. Hoyas are the main plants I find myself resisting temptation at but it doesn't always work lol. If I only had the space for a greenhouse or sunroom.....I'd be in heaven!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Your plant is beautiful Brad!!

I love it and the size..I'll bet your anxious to see it bloom! A lot of cooler weather, perfectly moist soil, and humid air will do it wonders!!

My plants still do well without the above, but what a difference in flowering and fragrance it makes when all of the above is supplied..

By the way, yo will love the smell!.These are one of my favorite plants..Mine are still outside in fact...And two indoors..Of course the ones outdoors are doing so much better than the ones inside..

Hi Toni..I hope all is well with you...I have been under the weather, but I owe you a letter..:-)..You know what I am getting next right? Lol
    Your fault....

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, my plant's already blooming but there are more buds on it! It sets in my hobby room where the computer is and I catch whiffs of it at times (must not be enough flowers to smell it all the time) and boy I sure love it!

You're in Michigan and your plants are still outside?! What's your secret?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Brad, yes, AE has variegated Gardenias and a few variegated Citrus, too..umm. He also sells a dwarf variegated Gardenia. Grows less than a foot tall.
    I bought a young variegated Stephonotis from another vendor..hope it flowers next spring/summer.
    I'm awaiting to see a variegated Maid of Orleans Jasmine. lol.
    You want a green house, I want a solarium..a huge, glass building attached to the house. If only I'd win the lottery. lol.

Mike, hey..how you doing? I'm trying to think which plant I mentioned that caught your interest..lol..I give. Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Toni, my dream greenhouse is one that's polycarbonate (non-breakable). If I ever opened a nursery (one of my dreams/goals), then it would be glass.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Brad, I have a small gh, 8x12', made of polycarbonate. Glass is nice, but I believe poly is better insulated, especially opposed to a single layer glass. Also, glass is much more expensive, harder to manage. You'd have to hire ppl to build. The carbo was a huge job, so I can only imagin hauling one pane of glass. The weight!!!

Glass is ornamental...believe me, I like its looks much better than poly, but economically, poly is better.

I hope you get your wish..You aren't the only person who'd like to own a plant nursery..a job doing something we love. But, lots of work.. Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Toni!

I forgot to mention that I did name my plant (I'm weird that way). Her name is Kakyuu (Japanese for fireball) after a character in an anime/manga series I like called Sailor Moon. Kakyuu is a princess that bears the fragrance and the flower motif in her outfit. Here is her theme and picture (she's on the right in the red dress). I could take a nap listening to this song and the fragrance in the air.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Here is a link that might be useful: Princess Kakyuu's Theme

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Brad, naming your plants is probably a lot easier than remembering and spelling botanical names..lol.

The song is relaxing. I don't know many Japanese songs, but the song is soothing.
    Then again, with a name like 'Kakyuu' perhaps you should have Heavy Metal in the background..lol. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

You got that one right! Toni..lol

The botanical names I could never get..You should of saw the names flying around at the C&S meeting I was at Saturday..I felt like I was hearing a different language..Maybe someday I will learn..
    You had mentioned the "variegated gardenia"! I want one now..Your fault..

Brad: I can not believe the smell of my tree!!It has been outside all this time until two days ago..It was getting lot's of buds but not fully opening..Maybe too cold?
    So I stuck it into my pop greenhouse as Toni describes which allows me to keep it humid and allows me to hose off..My God, it has exploded since then.. I will take a picture tomorrow..

I love yours by the way..That is a very good size one..It will bring you lot's of pleasure since you even gave it a name..
    It will feel special and pay you back..

Mike..:-)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL Toni! "Heavy metal playing in the background."

Mike, Kakyuu's doing great! She's getting more and more buds and soaking up the sunlight from the south window! She needs watered more often now that I've repotted her into terra cotta, but it's nothing that I can't handle.

Funny thing is at night I do not smell a fragrance at all! It's right by the computer and during the day I can smell it at times, but not at night!

I, for one, don't have much trouble with the botanical names of certain plants. They just come easy to me to remember.

Now, I'm thinking of getting another variety when spring rolls around (maybe in March since that's when my birthday is). The trouble is which one!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Moonwolf: My goodness! If you want another kind of "olive" and you didn't get this kind, you have to have one..I have three!

They flowers a ton more than the others..Take a look..

Mike:-)

http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1908-2

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, you're such an enabler! lol :).

I've been looking at Fudingzhu for awhile now and I think that might be the next one I get. Almost Eden also sells it so I know where to get it when I can.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Here are the pictures I took this am..The flowers are coming out from every where..The fragrance to die for..:-)

{{gwi:57356}}

{{gwi:113439}}

{{gwi:57357}}

{{gwi:113440}}

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Brad, I know quite a few 'basic' botanical names, spelling is another story..lol
    I had no idea there were other SO species..I went to AE, noticed he had a yellow flowering type..Wonder if scent is as strong.
    Some flowers are fragrant during day, others at night..My Jasmine, 'Maid of Orleans,' is a lot more fragrant at night. I'm sure there's a reason flowers emit fragrance at certain times.. A great subject to research.

I'd love to find a SO growing as a standard.. No room for bushy plants..Some grow as wide as tall..

Mike, how many SO's do you have? Looks like quite a few..lol
    Flowers are larger than I've ever seen, 'online or books.' Well, come spring I know what I'm getting, lol.

Mike, I've been meaning to ask you..Do you still have palms? You haven't mentioned them recently..actually closer to a year...Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, your SO is beautiful! Mine doesn't have those big clusters though. It has little clusters on it but it's kicking in with the flowers!

Toni, I have a Maid of Orleans jasmine too and I like the fragrance as well. Hoyas, too, smell stronger at night and most people believe that's to draw pollenators. We humans just love the scents though from most night blooming plants!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Yes, the reason for a night-time fragrance (and all flower fragrances) is to draw pollinators. That's also why many of those particular flowers are white in color.

Doyou know the primary pollinator group for these plants?

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Brad, perhaps, 'most' humans like the scent of flowers.. Think about summer..if you garden outdoors, or walk past a beautiful Lilac, most often, you'd stop and sniff the air.

Also, we who live in cold climates enjoy winter fragrances..It's either apple pie w/cinnamon or flowers..or both. lol

One Hoya, 'Krinkle' emits fragrance day and night. For some reason I can't smell other hoya blooms..Don't know if it's me, because I detect odors..in fact, if there's a fire, I smell it way before hearing fire trunk sirens.
    And the FD here is fast. They get a call and seconds later they're on their way. So, I don't understand.

Citrus smell wonderful. I love Gardenias, but to be honest, the scent isn't my favorite..same w/Easter Lily's.

My father couldn't stand smelling flowers..he said they reminded him of funeral parlors..lol..But he passed away 37 yrs ago. Back then, tropicals were pretty much unheard of in Chicago. However Easter Lily's were given away at Church. Maybe he thought all flowers smelled like EL's. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Rhizzo..:-)

I am going to guess "Moths"...? The reason why I say so is because they are a primary pollinator for Night time Blooming Cereus Cactus.
    Good to see you..

I will be back tomorrow to address everyone else.:-)..I am falling a bit tired,,

Hi Toni..

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Moonwolf...Thank you for your kind word..I am sure yours will throw bigger clusters once it gets use to it's new home and in your care..

Toni..:-))))). How are you? I still have palms, but slow growing that I forget I have them..lol..
    So, you think you might get an SO? lol...As they say, there is always room for one more plant...
    Good to see you...:-)

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Mike..did you have a nice Thanksgiving???

If I decide to get an SO, it won't be until spring. I'll first research to see if there's a variegated version.
    I keep saying, 'there's room for one more,' but as plants grow, there's actually -50 room..lol..

There's a few palms that grow somewhat faster, but not like Jack and the Beanstalk..lol

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH