Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Feel like I forgot something, but where would it go?

Supposed to be not only first frost tonight, but a hard one, could be as low as 27. So glad my Mom invited us to dinner tonight. I didn't even take pics in the kitchen, there's jars of cuttings everywhere that don't have anywhere to go...

Comments (38)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is in my son's room.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This needs to be sorted out a little more, ok, a lot more!

Original Author
    11 years ago

There are other windows, but you get the idea...

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Support group comes to mind! LOL! Oh my! :-) You need a green house! lol

JoJo

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

omg!?
    thats gonna be me in the next 30-60 days when they wanna replace all my windows.
    i honestly dont have a clue what to do w/it all,,,,
    ive been giving stuff away, trying to sell a few things, sold some (of 100's) of DVD's,,
    pitched out about 30 VHS tapes,, was gonna 'borrow' a neighbors unused storage bin, but they tore half of those out to do some concrete work in the basement,,
    ive still got lots of recently propagated starts too,,,
    i really have no place to move my plants to. ...without getting rid of other stuff 1st/too,,
    im scramblin big-time,,,

can you put skylights in the attic maybe?? :)
    hey, are you rooting coleus in Budlight tallboy bottles?? lol
    i think i see why you call yaself Purple now :)

ya know what i was thinkin tho,
    we should play 'how many plants can you indentify' in this picture,,
    start w/an easier one like your 3rd pic maybe. :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

SilentS, I had that done in January once too in OH, it really didn't take long or get too terribly cold inside. I did turn off the furnace while they were working though, running it seemed ridiculous to me. Maybe you could put the plants on the other side of the room covered with some sheets. Good luck!

I would LOVE to have a greenhouse! Out of places to stick boxed up stuff that was living in these spaces until today...

"hey, are you rooting coleus in Budlight tallboy bottles?? lol" Yes! And mt. dew, worcestershire sauce, applesauce, water, parsley, any jar or bottle I can get my hands on. There are hundreds of them, I'm trying to borrow window space at other houses... THAT's my kinda support group!

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

purple,

Your pictures look exactly like my place right now. I showed your pics to my daughter to show her that I'm not crazy, that other people have homes like us (or maybe we are crazy, havent quite decided on that one yet LOL). I'm surprised your son let you put any plants in his room, my son would throw them out the window if I did that. But I like having all my plants in the livingroom and kitchen/dining room, that way I wont accidentally forget about any of them. I tried really hard at one point to make it look somewhat organized, but I've kinda given up... Plants get put where ever their's room with somewhat light and rearranged about once a week to get the plants that where further away from the windows, closer to the windows to make sure everyone is getting light... I'm already counting down the days for warm weather again LOL.

-FPT

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

You need more plants, I see gaps...;)

Your son likes plants too, or does he have no choice?

Original Author
    11 years ago

He's a complete caveman, my son, he's 7. So if he didn't like the plants I don't think that would work, who knows what he would do to/with them. He was naming all of them yesterday and likes knowing they're helping keep our air fresh and oxygenated (which he can spell too.)

I know there are gaps, I only had a few hours to get the move done. There are a couple plants that just don't have anywhere to go. One's sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, a 5-gallon bucket of heart-leaf Philo with oak stick supports. I swear it's twice as big in the house as it was outside.

FPT, I know what you mean! Going to have to rearrange a lot of stuff to get this somewhat liveable for the next few months - for the people and the plants. What's messing me up is needing to close these windows at night, so there has to be a thin space between what's on the windowsills and whatever's hanging from the ceiling and crowded around on the ground. Didn't even bring in most post of T. zebrina, they should be OK outside, will just have to wait for the leaves to grow back though.

There are pots hanging over our heads while we're sleeping, really didn't have anywhere else to put hooks where there's any light. Really wish the roofs over the porches were retractable awnings, but we are all wishing for something... This is better than other situations I've had, I'm grateful for these lovely windows I do have!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, forgot to say, the more pics we plantaholics show each other (and our families,) the more normal we look! If anyone wants to add any pics, feel free!

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Is there a local chapter of PA? That's Plantaholics Anonymous!

And here, I just drastically downsized. I don't have the space, the time, or the physical wherewithal to do it at such a great level any longer. Not just that, but I had a bad infestation of Narcissus Bulb Fly come through and devastate my Amaryllid collection, which forced me to downsize.

It's ok, though... I had way too much on my hands.

Nice photos! Thanks for sharing!

• greendale
    11 years ago

Purple, Is that plant a Dracaena Deremensis "warneckei", Dracaena deremensis �limelight� or Dracaena reflexa 'Song of India'? - the one in the picture of your son's room.
    I just acquired a same one without tag from Lowe's 2 weeks ago. And some leaves have brown stripes - not sure is it because too cold or something.

• macranthos
    11 years ago

My only thought is that since you can still see through the window at some angles, there is still space for more plants to absorb that light...

Original Author
    11 years ago

Jodik, I think you mentioned that in another thread. Painful story, so sorry to hear! I have nightmares of pests escaping my notice and/or ability to deal with them. This is the most crazy jungle I've managed to assemble inside a dwelling, and it may be too much. My guys are (so far) very understanding about it and even helping some.

Nankeen! LOL! Yesterday I was actually lamenting how dark it is in the kitchen now. There's one window that doesn't really need blinds anymore for people to not be able to see what's going on in here.

Greendale, I'm pretty sure that Drac is Lemon Lime. A fast-grower compared to the few other Dracs I've had. If yours doesn't match this one, it's probably one of the other EA plants, coming from L's. There are so many that are so similar! If you can show a pic of your plant, start a thread for it, I'm sure you'll get some good advice that's not lost in the depths of this discussion.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

Here's a few pics of my mess this morning-

{{gwi:113470}}

{{gwi:113471}}

{{gwi:113472}}

-FPT

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    11 years ago

Purple,

I have noticed that airplane like plant on the top first picture what is the name of that plant it looks real neat.

Thanks Grantgarden2

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi GrantG, thanks. That's Callisia Fragrans, a genuine invasive house plant. Those dangling things will take root if they can reach another pot.

FPT, looks familiar!! Love those baker racks & see too many cool plants to comment on individually. Looks like you have room for more hanging pots in the big window. I'm about to make a 2nd row in the best windows...

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    11 years ago

Purple, i forgot to mention in my other post but where can you get them? The look so fun to grow thanks GrantGarden2

Original Author
    11 years ago

Grant, this is a very fun plant because it grows so fast and in strange directions but from what I've gleaned talking about this one on here, it's not a plant that's usually available for sale, one of those that just gets passed around. If you're still looking in the spring, I may have some to share for postage. Too cold now and I want to see if any of this makes flowers again before I get back into separating pieces.

These flowers don't look like much but the smell is incredible!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Just noticed this a few minutes ago. A new flower stalk has formed within the past couple days. EXCITEMENT!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Howdy,

Purple, white flowers? Now, why did I think blooms were pink?

They're fragrant? Sweet or another scent?

The bud 'last picture' looks like it's going to be big...You must post pics as soon as it opens..How long do flowers last?

Original Author
    11 years ago

The pic of the blooming flowers was from March, I think, and it kept going for at least a month after that, it started around Christmas, so 4-5 months. Haven't seen it happen often enough to predict if this stalk looks like it's on the same schedule.

Looks like there's stalks forming on 2 of the other tops, and one in another pot.

Yes, fragrant!!! Very strong and sweet. Here's the whole "mama" plant.

• greendale
    11 years ago

Thanks, Purple. I think mine also Dracaena deremensis "Lemon Lime".

Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool! Love those stripes!

This pic is from a few weeks ago.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple...you Cal is doing fantastic..Those colors!
    And now budding! I can't believe how rich-deep-purple its leaves are.

Purple, are the Dracaenas yours or Greendales?

Is Marginata growing w/Striped Dracaena?

• Lamora
    11 years ago

And here I can't even keep up with the 25 or so I have!! Love what you can do with what you've got.. I don't think I will ever pass you up, not sure DH would "allow" it, but I do plan on having a lot more next year~~ planning~~ never works for me... need to do the spur of the moment thing, works much better.. lol

Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, Thanks!! The Cal. I planted outside didn't have any red or purple to it at all. Not sure that's a normal, healthy color for the leaves to be but it is common on potted plants, at least from what I've seen in other people's pics. I like it too but it seems to cycle through leaves very fast. Creeping succulents are just so prone to that.

This one hung in morning sun until about mid-summer when I moved it to a tree limb where it got morning sun and dappled light after that. The other pot that has a flower stalk forming was on the west edge of the porch, so got sun all afternoon, after about 1 PM. Location doesn't seem to be a factor for the blooming. I will look at DH's Mom's plants when I next visit her. She's the one who first gave this to me and said none of her plants have bloomed before. All I know to think at this point is that hers sit under trees and get heavily dappled light only.

Yes, there's 7 different kinds of Dracs in that pic. (I haven't shown anybody else's pics in this thread - LOL! Just mine.) The orange pot in the front has the one we're thinking is 'lemon lime' and in the pot with it is D. marginata 'tricolor' and regular D. marginata. Don't know if those 2 little tops will ever outgrow being scraggly.

Lamora, nice of you to say! But I gotta admit, it's crazy in here and after less than a week, it's a serious stretch to say I'm keeping up with anything. For all I know, these plants are like holding their breath, waiting for me to put them back outside before having some serious temper tantrums. As ideas come to me, I'm creatively cramming. There's still stuff waiting for me to figure out where it *might* go, and DH was testing the weight of the pot hanging over his head last night... Too bad y'all don't live closer, I would love some help from your Mom with watering when these things start to get dry (probably all at once!) She'd have a blast!

One way around the "more" thing is propagating. Turning one plant into 2 is technically not getting more.

This may not be the most attractive thing, but these wire things that used to be shelves are not only little trellis', I've got 2 of them stacked like this, double-decker plants. How could I resist this clearance bloom yesterday?!

• greendale
    11 years ago

Purple, I spy another Dracaena deremensis behind the "lemon lime"? what is it? I saw a similar one in Lowe's the other day when I got my "Lemon lime", now I kick myself for not getting it because it is small.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Good eye, Greendale. I think you're looking at what I think is this one. My superior investigative technique is this: I got it at WM, they sell plants from EA and Costa Farms. I don't see the plant on EA website but this one at Costa looks just like it. It's been a pretty fast-grower, for a Dracaena. Prone to burning mid-day.

The other Dracs in the pic are (little plant, white stripes) D. sanderiana and D. Janet Craig compacta.

Here's a better pic. The original purchase was 2 plants in one pot. I separated them this summer.

• greendale
    11 years ago

I was talking about this one (red circle, sorry to mess around your picture) - is it a D. sanderiana? Hmm, interesting - never saw it like this. More commonly I saw they are braided without the low end leaves (Lucky Bamboo?).

Ahh, so the picture above is Dracaena deremensis "Warneckii".

Are you growing a Dracaena encyclopedia now? :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

You're right, circled is D. sanderiana, yes it's the same species used for lucky bamboo.

"Are you growing a Dracaena encyclopedia now? :)"

I wish, I do want them all! Of course, right, what could be better than an addiction to plants that don't like tap water? These few are only the tip of the D. iceberg. I also have D. surculosa, and still don't see how/why it's a Dracaena...

• greendale
    11 years ago

They do not like tap water? That might be the problem with my Lemon Lime in another thread. I have only 2 Dracaena. A "lemon lime" and a standard braided D. Marginata. I got the Marginata first (not long ago) since it just like the plants in Dr. Seuss's book. I was not too fond of Corn shaped plant but this lemon lime jumped in the cart because of the vivid color.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple..Have a pic of D. surculosa?
    I'd LOVE to get D. surculosa 'Milkyway.' It's amazing.

Do you find surculosa's difficult growers? I've had two for years..they're both a little larger than they were when purchased...
    What do they need? They're the only Dracaenas that do not grow.

What? What the heck was I thinking? Encyclopedia? lolol.

Think I was going to ask if your Dracaenas were in or outside now...OMG, I'm embarrassed..lol.

Original Author
    11 years ago

All this poking around into Dracs today, I think the one two pics up, that I linked to Warneckii, is really a Rikki. ?? They are so similar.

Toni, I googled the milky way plant and there's only 2 diff pics, if what you mean is the one with solid white in the center of the leaves. That is cool-looking, no doubt! Must be new or rare.

Pic below is from late August, it's definitely grown since then, and 2 new stalks are coming up from the soil line. Just brought everything in last weekend, it IS confusing to jump back to pics of them outside. Outside, this plant would start to look burned with anything stronger than early morning light. Only had it a few months, not much else to say about it yet.

I still don't see how it's a Drac. No other Drac I know makes cataphylls (if this is the correct term for the leaf sheath on this plant.) I'm sure they're going by genetics, especially since this was AFAIK renamed from godseffiana to surculosa, but that seems like a huge difference to me.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Cataphyll mention is more interesting with a pic, IMO.

• greendale
    11 years ago

That surculosa is a beauty. Like paint dripped on the leaf. I would not believe it is a Dracaena though if I saw it in the store. There always is a beauty hide in somewhere even in such a "common" house plant.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple..Do you find, Draecena surculosa..'Gold-Dust' or 'Florida Beauty,' slow-growing?

Mine two are several yrs old, and rarely leaf..Why is that? How often do you fertilize? Maybe that's the problem.
    My theory about fertilizing is..slow growing plants need less fertilizer than those that take off like weeds.
    Therefore, since I believe Dracaena surculosa is a slow-grower, they're rarely fertilized.

I also feel, surculosa and goldiannia/sp, are just plain difficult.

Yes, there's a couple pics of Milky Way..Are they not gorgeous??

One Ebay seller had on on auction about 4 yrs ago. I made a bid, but the winning bid was way more than I could afford. But, it was a beauty!

There's a Croton, 'can't recall name,' that looks identical to D. surculosa. I get the two mixed up.
    The spots might differ a little...I can't tell though.

Your Dracaena's very healthy. Nice-looking. No brown which is great considering the time of year.

I agree it doesn't resemble most Dracaenas, but if you look at stems/leaves of D. 'Song of India,' they're the same.

So, you place yours outside? I'm afraid it'd burn. Maybe next year I'll place in the yard, on a shelf that gets mostly morning east, and behind other plants. Or would that be too much shade?

Indoors, both are in a west window, sitting on a tray. No artificial light..Maybe I should place them under light to speed growth???

Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, thanks. This plant was outside but started burning if it got more than early morning sun. It had about 20 leaves when I got it about 3 months ago, now has about 35. I don't know if that's fast or not. Don't think I've used fertilizer since I got it. It is in an east window now, in the first row behind bottles of Coleus on the sill.

Some of the tips are starting to go yellow, so maybe it is a Drac afterall. Ha!

I can't find any pics of "song of India" or any other Dracs with cataphylls (or whatever the proper term would be.)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio