Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Yes, believe it or not, I do have ordinary houseplants! lol

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

Yes, I just thought I would share a plant or two that I actually picked up at Home Depot and from a friends home. To me, ordinary houseplants, but so useful to fresh air and in places where no other hard to grow plants will grow!:-)

Do you have BiG Box store, plants from friends, or from places other than the INTERNET. ACROSS SEAS, or E-BAY? Lol

Um, I don't know what they call this one.

{{gwi:113547}}

Clivia

{{gwi:113548}}

A sweetly fragrant Geranium

{{gwi:113549}}

One of my orchids

{{gwi:113550}}

Not sure of the name..lol

{{gwi:113551}}

{{gwi:113554}}

Mike

Comments (30)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mike,
    You have some pretty plants. The first one is some species of Dieffenbachia, also know has 'Dumb Cane' (you can look online as to why they call it this, I'd keep any pets or children away from it as it is poisonous. The last one is a Thanksgiving cactus (I don't know what that arrow shaped plant is with the variegation is though).

Planto

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I think the next to the last was a variegated Syngonium (very nice, never saw on before). Pretty

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

Ok, aside from the Dieffenbachia and CC or TC, I still think you have really different and exotic plants......not your ordinary house plants. And I want them all! :)

Now, I want to know......IF you have any COMMON, everyday house plants like.....regular swedish ivy (plectranthus), good ol' spider plants, common heart shaped philos, schleffleras, dracaena marginata or warneckii, pothos, Ficus b. or Ficus e., peace lily, aglaonemas and african violets. Any of those?

Oh, and........that variegated syngonium (if that's what it is), is beautiful!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Is that white marker in the same pot? Looks like it's marked:
    $7.00
    Syngonium...

That is very pretty, not so ordinary.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I REALLY want one of those scented geraniums, I really hope I find one some day. Yours is really nice looking.

Your dieffenbachia looks like a Dieffenbachia seguine, also known as giant dieffenbachia. I got a nice size cutting from a friend with two feet long leaves.

All your plants are beautiful.

-FPT

ps- does anyone know if theirs a better time of year to find a scented geranium? Has anone seen them at big box stores? or maybe sold with other geraniums in spring/summer? anyplace but online stores.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Beautiful plants! Can't say that orchids come to mind if the subject is "ordinary house plants."

FPT, I usually find them in spring with the annuals. Sometimes with the herbs.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

purpleinopp-

Thank you, I wasnt looking for one last spring so I didn't pay attention, now I know for next spring to keep an eye out.

-FPT

11 years ago

YW! Also remembered a few years ago they were being marketed as "mosquito repellant." Don't know if they still do that. The one I found this year said citronella plant.

Mike, you didn't say what sweet scent your Geranium has.

Just read through other people's comments and realizing those pretty variegated heart-shape leaves and the one especially cool white leaf are Syngonium. Never saw one like that, I like it a LOT!

What is the one with the red flowers to the left in that same pic?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Mike..I didn't know you had ordinary plants..lol..

Your Syngonium is the best! Love its variegation.

The Syngonium 'rare' and Orchid isn't common/ordinary, but both are beautiful..love your Orchid flower colors.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Planto! Thanks for that. My cat won't even look at that plant an I am lucky about that. He does look for mice all day though, thank goodness.

Karen, you could be right and thank you!

Elkay, you are wat too funny! Ok, becareful for what you ask for. At the end of this post, I will post 'Ordinary' ones as you will...lol You know, they are my RELAXING plants! They are the ones that can take abuse and still survive. They require much less attention and those are the ones that allow me to go on vacation.lol

Rina, one day I lost all my tags due to a bad storm and had to match the tags up again. I was not sure, but Karen hit it right on the nose. That is exactly what that tag says and I am glad I matched that one up right.

Flowerpot...Please write me and I will send you a couple of cuttings I rooted for you. They are growing well and I will even send them in pots for you.
    The scented Geraniums that is.
    They have a nice citrus scent to them. All one has to do is lightly touch them and what an aroma! One of my favorites!

I have some that smell like strawberries, apples, mint, chocolate, citrus, and other weird aromas.
    I don't min rooting some for some here some the spring. Just ask and if I can, I will.

Hey Toni, how's that eye? Sheesh and thank you as always.

Ok here it goes, just as Elkay asked for..lol
    I think you will all know the name of them. Many are going into a plant room I am setting up and it tight spaces in my smaller rooms. I will show you a spider plant with the best seat in the house come tomorrow.

This was given to me by my niece with love. I'll nurse this one and treasure it. It is just getting started in my 5.1.1 mix. It needed help.

{{gwi:113555}}

Just a plain ole green philo I think.

{{gwi:113556}}

This one I have had for 3 years and almost killed it to frost, but it cam back! Boy, and it severly need a re-pot. It's been in that same ugly pot since I got it over 3 years ago! 5.1.1. next spring for sure. It could use a lift!lol This poor thing has been thrown about the yard, left for dead, and kicked around a few times. I see possibility in it, do you?

{{gwi:113557}}

I LOVE the light green leaves that emerge from this one. It brightens up any dark area. It is mine of my favorites.

{{gwi:113558}}

For some reason, I love this one. I started it as a two inch cutting.

{{gwi:113560}}

A wonderful gift from a wonderful person I have had since the spring.
    {{gwi:113561}}

Last but not least the most ordinary plant I think we all have, the PEACE LILLY! This one I have given to me from a friend that left for Asia for 3 years now. Boy, I miss her.

{{gwi:113562}}

Ordinary enough for you? Thease are not the best looking of my plants, but that is what happens when you just ignore their needs and do not show extra attention. Don't believe them when they say you can care too much.
    You should of saw my CC I treated like that until I found a renewed interest in it.lol

Mike

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Can I borrow your cat, and an Apple and a chocolate. ;-)

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol...Jojo You are too funny! You forgot the strawberry too.
    You have mice? I can't imagaine with all that bird seed.lol

Many hugs@!

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Mike, you posted pics of your Dracaena before..I didn't know it was braided.

Is your variegated F. Rubber Tree in a bonsai pot?

Mike, really nice clock..lol.

11 years ago

That Drac tree looks great to me, definite possibilities. What is going on at the top? If you get a minute and feel like it, could you show a pic of the juncture where the trunks split into tops? Not that I think there's anything wrong, I'm just curious.

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Hi Mike!
    I didn't forget the strawberry, just didn't think there would be enough room in the box with one mad cat! LOL!

yep... Have a few mice. lol.. They discovered the aviary and bird seed. The whole neighborhood has them! And squirrels. They are doing construction in the desert near the river I walk, and now all sorts of critters are showing up here! Snakes too, and a Javelina on our porch recently.

Back to plants.. LOL!
    Years ago I had a Pineapple Scented Geranium. Loved it!

Is the goldfish plant easy to care for? I love that plant and have been tempted in the past to get one.

JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: Javelina in Arizona

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Hey mike, looks like your Thanksgiving Cactus has born a fruit! You get hummingbirds near you?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Larry, are you kidding me, where?

I only WISH I had Hummingbirds! I have been trying to draw them for years now.

Jojo, you are a riot!

In have already started a small Geranium for you. Now, I just have to remember what the heck I have already told you I would send. Sheesh.lol

Purple, ok. That sounds good. Let me work on that. I appreciate the concern. Maybe I can avoid an issue if you see it. Thank you.

Toni, no, just a small pot. I started them both as cuttings. Let me tell you though, they are not happy in my home! Now, I have to stick them back into the greenhouse where they were very happy with all that light.

Mike

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Mike, see the pale object the arrow is pointing to? That I believe is a fruit!

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

meyermike_1micha,
    You're welcome. Thank goodness our dog doesn't seem interested in our plants either (with respect to chewing or eating, she likes to smell them though). I like your variegated rubber tree (the one you started from a cutting). I'm a sucker for peace lilies too... I found one clearanced and brought it back, now I have a second one I found on clearance. In total, I paid $3 for both of them.

Planto

11 years ago

I don't think there's anything wrong at all, just selfish curiosity.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

As always, Mike, you display your knowledge and prowess at growing just about anything green and leafy! You have a great collection of plants, there, I must say! And even though some may be common or non-flowering or unscented, they're still very healthy and happy looking! Great work!

As for the Dracaena, Purpleinopp... are you thinking maybe it might be grafted?

I've usually always kept at least one Dracaena marginata in my plant collection... and can you believe it... mine recently died. Mice got in it... but I think it actually met its demise more at my own neglectful hands. It's a long story, but it involves a humongous amaryllid collection, Narcissus Bulb Fly, and ensuing depression at the great loss. I'll leave it at that.

Anyway... my love for plants has not diminished, and after a thorough cleanup, a bit of soul searching, and a new found effort, I'm back in the saddle... so to speak. I had way too many plants, anyway. I guess that was karma's way of telling me that I'm getting too old to handle quite so much!

Mike, again, wonderful effort! I live vicariously through your photos... until such time as I can rectify a few things in an effort to try some new orchids and other interesting beauties. Thanks for sharing! :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Larry! Well I'll be! I remember that now. It was a seed and I had no idea what it was then. I actually thought it was a freak of nature, pinched it off and tossed it! That year I did see one humming bird, and never gave it a thought.

You should see that same plant now. I kept in in very bright light and kept it small. Now it's about to bloom again. I'll post a recent picture for you:-)

Jodik..You are way too kind. Just remember that I do owe some of my success to you, reiterating over and over again about how important it is to use good mixes, and to others.
    You have some beauties too and I would love to help you grow more orchids. Some actually do very well in cool dry conditions in the winter. Some need cool to induce flowering while others need cold to rest. I am still finding out about these, Cymbidiums being a species which I just ordered. Fragrant as heck too!
    Thank you for visiting my threads since you know how much it means to me and of that of everyone ele's. It take ALL teh fun out of growing plants if we can not share them with like minded friends here!

Purple, I have yet to take a picture, I was so busy this a.m. I was looking at it and thought I should take a pic tomorrow.

Planto, thank goodness is right! I accidently left my cat down in teh basement where I have dozens of expensive plants under lights, and thank goodness he did not knock one over after being stuck in there for hours! I would of killed the one who let him in there and the cat.lol

Thanks again everyone, and Purple, please watch for my pic, ok?

Mike

11 years ago

Jodik, it kind of looks like it was "done" like a corn plant. With the tops of the braided trunks removed, maybe wax-sealed. Sorry to hear about your plants and glad you're feeling better!

Sorry for being so nosy! Absolutely will look for a new pic!

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Mike..
    Thats sweet of you to start me a Geranium. Thank you! As for the rest, you never told me the list. lol... Jades, maybe a skinny finger. ;-)

The one you started from a 1" cutting is beautiful, nice color! Looks like a type of rubber tree.

Talk to you soon. :-)

JoJo

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry, I didn't know CC/TC fruit? Really? Is fruit edible?
    That's amazing.

JoJo, if you mean the plant Mike started from a 3" cutting, you're right. It's Ficus 'Rubber Tree' variegata.
    A good-looking plant, for sure.

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Had to go back and look at the plant Toni..
    Seems were both wrong, he said it was a 2" cutting.. lol..

JoJo

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

JoJo..lol
    Welllll, who doesn't make mistakes..:)

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

You guys look to be a fun lot here! I came to this forum to get ideas for some small house plants to grow during the winter and caught up in Mike's photos.

In your second lot of photos, the 3rd from the last, is (I believe) a Philodendron 'Pink Princess'. Love that plant.

Susan

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, you heard of Dragon Fruit right, also called Pitaya? Well its a fruit from a jungle cactus a bit like epiphyllum.
    Also opuntias produce edible fruit, hence the common name Prickly Pear!

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

I make Jelly out of Prickly Pear fruit. :-)

Susan~ Welcome! They are a fun lot, so stick around and join in! :-)

JoJo