Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mossinajar

Mutant Avocado seedling.

mossinajar
10 years ago

This avocado pit was sitting in water for a few months, it seemed healthy until it generated these strange white nodules that look like a cross between leaves and flower petals. The seedling has since been potted but there are no signs of leaves and the white nodules are slowly turning brown and falling off. It was getting a fair bit of light throughout the sprouting process.

Has an avocado seedling ever done this to anyone?

Comments (112)

• Nicole
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have been planting various items in one pot on my kitchen window throughout winter and have just realised that 1 of 5 avos have this strange white nodules. Weird. Thanks for the above info.

• Nicole
    5 years ago

Strange

• Nicole
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

6 avocados, a red onion, tomato and garlic.

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    5 years ago

Interesting find GG. Could irradiation of fruits have mutated the genes and thus produce abnormal fruits? Just wondering if that is a possibility at all.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

IDK, tropic. Nothing I could find addressed that possibility.....but then I coudn't find all that much data to begin with!! I would suppose that could be a possible source of this issue.....seems as reasonable as any other hypothesis :-)

• HU-649094094
    4 years ago

Mine was growing these funky white fleshy leaves forever and once I planted it in soil it started growing what looks to be a separate plant from the top that looks like a normal avocado plant, I have never had this happen before, it’s so tall now I was hoping the white chunky leaves would grow normal leaves from them but they seem to be dying off instead, the stalk is so super strong and healthy looking I don’t know what to do, any advice?

• James McCoy
    4 years ago

I'm in the same boat. The nodules are about 3" form the seed and the trunk is 18" tall with a group of five leaves at the top. The trunk is a little thin so I pinched back the new growth and turned on the ceiling fan to blow it around just a little (like a little wind as if it was out doors).

• HU-649094094
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I put a pencil next to it so you can see just how tall this plant has gotten, I’m not sure what to do with it, it’s so strong and healthy i don’t want to just kill it, any ideas on how to make this a little more normal?

• TnS Nelson
    4 years ago

I have the same avocado issue. I thought it was a bloom at first. Then someone from FB said they found online that it was a mutant albino, so I Googled it and found this thread. I have just moved it to another window with more direct sunlight to see if it helps any.

I also see a difference in the root compared to others I have started. There is one main root that comes down about half an inch then it separates into about 6 thinner roots. On each one, for about 2 inches, there are what looks like barnicles on the roots, little nodules. Anyone else have this on there white beauties as well? Glad I found this thread, it has proven to be helpful. Now I know it's not a roach apocalypse out to destroy our food supply. LOL JK

• TnS Nelson
    4 years ago

I have the same avocado issue. I thought it was a bloom at first. Then someone from FB said they found online that it was a mutant albino, so I Googled it and found this thread. I have just moved it to another window with more direct sunlight to see if it helps any.

I also see a difference in the root compared to others I have started. There is one main root that comes down about half an inch then it separates into about 6 thinner roots. On each one, for about 2 inches, there are what looks like barnicles on the roots, little nodules. Anyone else have this on there white beauties as well? Glad I found this thread, it has proven to be helpful. Now I know it's not a roach apocalypse out to destroy our food supply. LOL JK

• Victoria
    4 years ago

• HU-30719099979
    4 years ago

Hi guys, here’s mine, was wondering the same thing. I’ve grown a lot of these and never one like this, but it’s the prettiest I’ve ever seen and still growing strength, just slowly.

• Lindsey Kristian
    4 years ago

here’s this funky guy. wondering if he’ll survive!

• Sandy Shannon
    4 years ago

I have 16 avocado pits growing at various stages and there is one with several of those thick strange leaves but is also growing a normal set of leaves now as well.

• theoriginalnnekababy
    4 years ago

I have 100 seeds. About 8 have rotted before sprouting. And 12 have formed with white leaves. They are cute and thriving. I'm not going throw them out just because the leaves are white. I've grouped them together for this picture but normally, they are scattered amongst the others, receiving the same amount of sun. I have 6 growing in soil and so far none of those are white. I think that @gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) research makes the most sense...premature seeds.

You can follow their journey on my instagram page: at browngirl_greenthumb

• HU-131116404
    4 years ago

Here is a pic of .

• Brandi Grant
    4 years ago

• ehbz
    4 years ago

me too...

• David Brown
    4 years ago

Same here.

• Rob Murdock
    3 years ago

Have two

• theoriginalnnekababy
    3 years ago

How old is it?

• Александр Яновицкий
    3 years ago

Near 2 months

• ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノsiroezhkina
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Today I read that white avocados don't survive and now I'm sad :(

This one is a slow-grower, it's been literally ages

• HU-299485267
    3 years ago

Got the same strain of avocado out of four one of these I plant into pop bottles with holes in bottom drainage and they all growing great. Sunlight first hour in morning suits and water with spring water only

• Parris Lee
    3 years ago

Almost a year and stays small with new white leaves clustering around the top. I read that someone cut the top off. How did the plant turn out afterwards? Or do I just leave it?

• HU-30719099979
    3 years ago

I think it’s been 2 years since I posted here, mine still has all the thick white leaves, but it started sprouting a normal green stock and leaves once it was placed in normal light, these guys need plenty of sunshine!

• clouirks
    3 years ago

So glad to have stumbled upon this thread!

Here's my little guy 🌱

• clouirks
    3 years ago

So glad to have stumbled upon this thread!

Here's my little guy 🌱

• Kristina Mayberry
    3 years ago

Heres mine!

• Kristina Mayberry
    3 years ago

Heres mine!

• Kristina Mayberry
    3 years ago

Heres mine!

• HU-56683656
    3 years ago

I’m so glad I searched this to learn what is going on with this guy!

• HU-595130242
    2 years ago

I was worried about this little fellow.

• Shelby Land
    2 years ago

Im thankful to have found this thread while trying to find any info online. I even asked one of my FB plant groups to see if they knew about this strange growth. Looks like theres some great info here!

This has been growing in distilled fertilized water for about two months and is in a south facing window. I would like to keep it growing hydroponically as Im too nervous to transfer to soil with this type of variation.

• ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノsiroezhkina
    2 years ago

This is the same fella I posted here 1+ year ago. Eventually it gave a green branch and started growing. But a few months ago its leaves started to get dried, and new leaves turn dry on their tips and fall off.

I used fertilizers, special soil. But I don't know what else to do. Looks like this mutant is not gonna survive. On the second pic it's the place where white thick leaves were (they just got dried)

• theoriginalnnekababy
    2 years ago

Perhaps you are over watering it lately? Maybe.

• ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノsiroezhkina
    2 years ago

@theoriginalnnekababy dunno, trying not to. Waiting for the soil to dry. But the pot is quite large, maybe this is why the soil stays humid for a long time. I couldn't use a smaller pot because of the long root

• Luca Case
    last year

Absolutely fascinating. I only recently came across that there is such a thing. A friend of mine also has such a special avocado and would like it to continue growing this way. However, as far as I know, albino plants are not viable or barely viable. What are the experiences here? How old have your mutant avocados become?

• ECS Sanchez
    last year

08/04/2023 Thank you, mossinajar, for posting your photograph, nine years ago, on your Mutant Avocado seedling. The image provided a link to this webpage when I did a Google search this morning. And thank you very much, gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9), for your very interesting article into the research into this mutation, particularly that which showed that seeds from immaturely harvested fruit would produce this unusual growth at a much higher rate than those harvested later.

Thank you also, to all of the other folk that have sent pictures and comments over the years to this page.

From time to time, over many years, I have planted avocado stones, indoors, here in London in the UK, but this is the first time, a few days ago, that I had ever seen such a strange growth coming out of an avocado stone. I wondered at first if it was a parasitic growth, maybe some kind of orchid, as the creamy-white growths, to me, did not seem like leaves, but reminded me of a leafless purple orchid that I found, many, many years ago, growing out of the rockery at our family home in Scotland.

Our avocado stone had been bought from a local supermarket, and had come from a perfectly normal looking, delicious avocado. Recently their avocados have been coming from Columbia, but I couldn’t swear that this one did, as it was a few weeks ago that I planted the stone, but it would have been from a Central or South American country.

Here are three photos that I have taken today, of our little avocado anomaly, alongside ‘cousins’ who have developed conventional growth.

• Sharice Baxter
    4 months ago

• Sharice Baxter
    4 months ago

• Sharice Baxter
    4 months ago

• Sharice Baxter
    4 months ago

• lisakayparker
    8 days ago

How strange

Sponsored